Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Fallen Angel, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

*Tarantino makes remarks*

*Victim takes offense*

*Tarantino apologizes and admits he was wrong*

Sounds good to me.

2. Matt Mortem

Matt Mortem RIP Hype Forums

In what way did he not own it? He's taken responsibility for what happened with Uma Thurman and he said "I was ignorant, and insensitive, and above all, incorrect." in his apology for the Polanski comments. What do you want him to do?

3. Black Narcissus

Black Narcissus Pimp a Butterfly

Sure thing, man, I'm glad you are a better human being than I could ever be. I have clearly never condoned his acts or what he said on here.

I'm done with you on this topic on here, I also feel like most of these pages should be in that other thread tho. Eh.

4. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Based on what?

No, the internet is lumping enablers with sexual abusers and rapists. I don't see a problem with that, because they help enable these people to continue doing these things. Look at the Larry Nassar situation. It isn't just Nassar. Its those that run Michigan State, those that who ran US Gymnastics, its John Geddert who ran a gym Nassar abused girls at, its Karolyi Ranch.

What we have here is a man who knew Weinstein was doing theses things and continued to work with him. Would still be working with him if not for what happened to Weinstein. We know he has held views that you can't rape a 13 year old who wants it.

What about Quentin Tarantino matters so much that if he disappeared tomorrow it would be a problem for anyone, including him?

5. DarthSkywalker

I have literally wrote it down. He avoids real blame by claiming he was simply playing devil's advocate. So he just said these things, but didn't really mean them. He sure as hell sounded like he meant them.

6. DarthSkywalker

Simple question. Would moving along to his next project like nothing happened be considered condoning what he did or said? Someone we know knew what Weinstein was doing and kept working with him? How about paying to see his next film, would that be condoning it?

Why? This is a Tarantino thread. In involves his film making and even a subject of his next film. So why shouldn't it be in here?

7. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Nope.

8. DarthSkywalker

Why?

9. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Because I'm not making a statement by paying for his film. I'm just buying my way into the theater.

10. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

I for one still can't wait for this movie. I will see it the day it comes out. I guess that makes me an enabler. Throw me in with Tarantino. I guess you could use that to formulate I'm a horrible, irredeemable person. Based on what I say in an internet forum. I guess I'm letting Tarantino work after something he said 15 years ago that he has apologized for. How damning.

Nothing is good enough for people. Change starts just as much when wrongdoers try to change themselves by admitting it beforehand and paying. I sometimes think people don't want actual change to happen when they talk about it. They just want to stay angry. It reminds me of when people still shame parolees as criminals.

What I've learned is you tell someone not to do something or shame them for it, those people are only going to own it and double down and dig in deeper, and it's a result of not properly solving the problem. Look at Hillary's deplorables remark. What concerns me is we aren't having proper conversation. We're dealing in black and white and absolutes. Sounds familiar...

I'm going straight to hell. But if I'm going to hell, I hope Black Narcissus sits next to me in the movie theater. Middle, towards the right.

11. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.

12. Black Narcissus

I like to put m&ms on my popcorn. :o

13. Matt Mortem

Matt Mortem RIP Hype Forums

The way Darth is talking it's as though everyone who watches a Tarantino film is guilty of rape too. Tarantino is showing contrition for what he said. The only thing that'd make the torch and pitchfork folks happy at this point would be his ritualistic suicide.

14. jmc

jmc away for a while

What's good enough for you exactly?

15. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

It’s good that he apologized. It’s bad that he was forced to apologize in order to keep his career. Dude is prolly a ******* but I’ll still enjoy his movies.

16. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Personally, I class those who try and condone rape or downplay the seriousness of rape as just a step below the actual perpetrators of rape.

Saying that a 13yr old was somehow a willing participant in being drugged, intoxicated, raped and sodomised totally ignores why the age of consent is set at where it is - namely that most 13yr olds are not mature enough to make rational decisions about things like this - and also totally downplays the role of Polanski. It effectively changes her status from a victim to a participant, and gives a platform to all the other rapists out there who have convinced themselves that their victims are somehow 'up for it' or led them on.

Did Tarantino set out to offend this victim? Probably not. Having heard plenty of stories about Tarantino's own tastes when it comes to his sexual perversions, I don't believe his half-assed apology about being 'controversial' - I think he was just being honest and saying what he really felt about the situation, which in itself is a pretty depressing representation of how his mind works. Sadly, he's not alone in that way of thinking.

17. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

18. Black Narcissus

Rumor is that Chris Pine might be reading for the Cruise/Pitt role.

19. titansupes

titansupes Well-Known Member

So as well as the public apology, Tarantino emailed and called Geimer to personally apologise--

She also asked about this movie:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/roman-polanski-rape-victim-samantha-geimer-quentin-tarantino-me-too-1201927148/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  20. Reek

Reek _____

I'll bring the weed.

21. Reek

Reek _____

And if a man farts within a 20 foot radius of a woman, she was raped. She didn't consent to that smell.

22. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

I think I've solved the mystery of how BN ended up in hell... :o

23. DarthSkywalker

Those that complain I am jumping to the extreme do it themselves to avoid the actual question. At the same time avoid what Tarantino did and said because he apologized. Well, not Greens. He is straight forward.

It becomes he apologized, that's enough, let's not actually talk about it and move on.

The, "We are guilty of rape too" line is a strawman to avoid the point. It avoids what Tarantino and people who have backed Weinstein, Polanski and Allen have been. Which is complicit. Tarantino was complicit with Weinstein. He knew and continued to be his friend and work with him.

He didn't just go on a radio show and talk about how a 13 year old girl can give consent to a 40 something you old dude, which honestly should be enough. But beyond that, his relationship with Weinstein is what it is. He knew, avoided it and kept working, and it ended up even happening to "his friend" and his girlfriend being assaulted.

And seriously, if you are okay with supporting someone who is okay with sexual assault and rape to the point of still remaining business partners and friends with men he knows did that, that is up to you. People still go to Steelers games. That talk about them all over ESPN. But it is extremely disingenuous to act like that isn't what he is. Because it is and we know it now.

Also specifically on the Polanski stuff. This is exactly why it comes off as BS imo.

Guardian Article: What does Hollywood's reverence for child rapist Roman Polanski tell us?

Can't post because of language.

It is amazing how much it matches up with what Tarantino "thought" and probably continues to think. And the only reason he now apparently thinks different is because someone dug up some rather disgusting audio where he talks about a 13 year old girl being up for sex with a 40 something year old guy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  24. DarthSkywalker

Yep because a guy knowing about sexual assault and continuing to work and be friends with the guy he knows is totally the same thing. Playing down the rape of a 13 year old girl is totally the same thing. These things don't play into and help cause a culture of rape at all.

25. Black Narcissus