Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

*Tarantino makes remarks*

*Victim takes offense*

*Tarantino apologizes and admits he was wrong*

Sounds good to me.

He could have owned it. He didn't. It would still be PR, but owning is better then clear PR speak. He is deflecting from what he said, much like his defenders are deflecting from what he said.

What exactly do you want? To be able to anticipate his next film in peace? Do it, no one here is stopping you. But sweet lord is this a lot of crying over what Tarantino did to himself. As if all that matters here is the poor rich man can live and make his movies in peace.

Oh and on another note, yeah if someone, man or woman, said what he said about 13 year olds, I'd make sure to keep my kids away from them and warn everyone I knew about it.

In what way did he not own it? He's taken responsibility for what happened with Uma Thurman and he said "I was ignorant, and insensitive, and above all, incorrect." in his apology for the Polanski comments. What do you want him to do?

He could have owned it. He didn't. It would still be PR, but owning is better then clear PR speak. He is deflecting from what he said, much like his defenders are deflecting from what he said.

What exactly do you want? To be able to anticipate his next film in peace? Do it, no one here is stopping you. But sweet lord is this a lot of crying over what Tarantino did to himself. As if all that matters here is the poor rich man can live and make his movies in peace.

Oh and on another note, yeah if someone, man or woman, said what he said about 13 year olds, I'd make sure to keep my kids away from them and warn everyone I knew about it.

Sure thing, man, I'm glad you are a better human being than I could ever be. I have clearly never condoned his acts or what he said on here.

I'm done with you on this topic on here, I also feel like most of these pages should be in that other thread tho. Eh.

He was running his mouth like an idiot on a show that actively promotes salacious discussions and subject matter. He ****ed up. No doubt about it. The internet, though, is lumping him in with genuine sexual abusers and rapists. It's not the same. It's one dude letting his ass overload his mouth. He's been set on fire for it and apologized. What more can he do? Anything he does going forward is going to have the angry mob accusing him just doing PR to save his skin. It's a lose-lose.
Based on what?

No, the internet is lumping enablers with sexual abusers and rapists. I don't see a problem with that, because they help enable these people to continue doing these things. Look at the Larry Nassar situation. It isn't just Nassar. Its those that run Michigan State, those that who ran US Gymnastics, its John Geddert who ran a gym Nassar abused girls at, its Karolyi Ranch.

What we have here is a man who knew Weinstein was doing theses things and continued to work with him. Would still be working with him if not for what happened to Weinstein. We know he has held views that you can't rape a 13 year old who wants it.

What about Quentin Tarantino matters so much that if he disappeared tomorrow it would be a problem for anyone, including him?

In what way did he not own it? He's taken responsibility for what happened with Uma Thurman and he said "I was ignorant, and insensitive, and above all, incorrect." in his apology for the Polanski comments. What do you want him to do?
I have literally wrote it down. He avoids real blame by claiming he was simply playing devil's advocate. So he just said these things, but didn't really mean them. He sure as hell sounded like he meant them.

Sure thing, man, I'm glad you are a better human being than I could ever be. I have clearly never condoned his acts or what he said on here.

I'm done with you on this topic on here, I also feel like most of these pages should be in that other thread tho. Eh.
Simple question. Would moving along to his next project like nothing happened be considered condoning what he did or said? Someone we know knew what Weinstein was doing and kept working with him? How about paying to see his next film, would that be condoning it?

Why? This is a Tarantino thread. In involves his film making and even a subject of his next film. So why shouldn't it be in here?

Simple question. Would moving along to his next project like nothing happened be considered condoning what he did or said? Someone we know knew what Weinstein was doing and kept working with him? How about paying to see his next film, would that be condoning it?

Why? This is a Tarantino thread. In involves his film making and even a subject of his next film. So why shouldn't it be in here?

Nope.

I for one still can't wait for this movie. I will see it the day it comes out. I guess that makes me an enabler. Throw me in with Tarantino. I guess you could use that to formulate I'm a horrible, irredeemable person. Based on what I say in an internet forum. I guess I'm letting Tarantino work after something he said 15 years ago that he has apologized for. How damning.

Nothing is good enough for people. Change starts just as much when wrongdoers try to change themselves by admitting it beforehand and paying. I sometimes think people don't want actual change to happen when they talk about it. They just want to stay angry. It reminds me of when people still shame parolees as criminals.

What I've learned is you tell someone not to do something or shame them for it, those people are only going to own it and double down and dig in deeper, and it's a result of not properly solving the problem. Look at Hillary's deplorables remark. What concerns me is we aren't having proper conversation. We're dealing in black and white and absolutes. Sounds familiar...

I'm going straight to hell. But if I'm going to hell, I hope Black Narcissus sits next to me in the movie theater. Middle, towards the right.

The way Darth is talking it's as though everyone who watches a Tarantino film is guilty of rape too. Tarantino is showing contrition for what he said. The only thing that'd make the torch and pitchfork folks happy at this point would be his ritualistic suicide.

I have literally wrote it down. He avoids real blame by claiming he was simply playing devil's advocate. So he just said these things, but didn't really mean them. He sure as hell sounded like he meant them.

What's good enough for you exactly?

It’s good that he apologized. It’s bad that he was forced to apologize in order to keep his career. Dude is prolly a scumbag but I’ll still enjoy his movies.

The internet has Tarantino's blood in the water and nothing short of seeing his career obliterated will sate them. Tarantino messed up big time with Uma and he said some idiotic and offensive stuff about Polanski, but the reactions coming out about it are as if he had raped that 13 year old himself and then later in his career personally cut the brake line and sabotaged the car Uma Thurman was driving.

Personally, I class those who try and condone rape or downplay the seriousness of rape as just a step below the actual perpetrators of rape.

Saying that a 13yr old was somehow a willing participant in being drugged, intoxicated, raped and sodomised totally ignores why the age of consent is set at where it is - namely that most 13yr olds are not mature enough to make rational decisions about things like this - and also totally downplays the role of Polanski. It effectively changes her status from a victim to a participant, and gives a platform to all the other rapists out there who have convinced themselves that their victims are somehow 'up for it' or led them on.

Did Tarantino set out to offend this victim? Probably not. Having heard plenty of stories about Tarantino's own tastes when it comes to his sexual perversions, I don't believe his half-assed apology about being 'controversial' - I think he was just being honest and saying what he really felt about the situation, which in itself is a pretty depressing representation of how his mind works. Sadly, he's not alone in that way of thinking.

Did Tarantino set out to offend this victim? Probably not. Having heard plenty of stories about Tarantino's own tastes when it comes to his sexual perversions, I don't believe his half-assed apology about being 'controversial' - I think he was just being honest and saying what he really felt about the situation, which in itself is a pretty depressing representation of how his mind works. Sadly, he's not alone in that way of thinking.

Exactly.

Rumor is that Chris Pine might be reading for the Cruise/Pitt role.

So as well as the public apology, Tarantino emailed and called Geimer to personally apologise--

On Twitter, you said that your initial remarks about Tarantino were misconstrued. Set the record straight.

I did not call him out or slam him. When asked, I said he was wrong, as in incorrect, about what happened. I thought he knew better now, 15 years later, and did not expect that he would repeat that, because he would only make himself look bad. Okay, I said, “like an ass.” But the sentiment was that he certainly knows better. The wording that he assumed I wanted to be “raped,” I don’t know where that came from, but he never said that. What I was really trying to say to those who called is, I don’t care. I don’t care what anyone says, I’m not upset, this and worse has been happening to me for years. And mostly, I am aware that my rape is being used to attack him and I really don’t like that.

Did you expect him to reach out?

No. I mean, not personally. I thought that was nice. What if I was really mad? He called to face it personally.

What did you discuss and what do you make of his response?

I think he realizes that the things he said to be shocking involve an actual person — me — and he wasn’t thinking about that at the time. He felt bad about it. While I had him on the phone, I made him talk to me about some of his movies. Ha, ha. Didn’t want to waste that opportunity. He is sincere in his apology and I told him I felt my rape was being used to attack him by people who don’t care about what happened to me, and I do take offense to that.

She also asked about this movie:

So which movies did you ask about?

I talked to him about “True Romance,” which is my favorite movie. I was just letting him know that it was one of my all-time favorite movies. I just found out my mom had never seen it, because she was like, “Wow, Quentin Tarantino called you!” So now I’m going to watch it with my mom. It was funny. He told me that he liked Roman’s early movie, “The Fearless Vampire Slayers,” that he’d seen it on TV. I was like, “Oh my god, I love that movie.”

Then I asked him about his upcoming movie, because I heard it’s about Sharon Tate’s murder. I was like, “That’s just freaking me out. I don’t know why. It sounds awful.” He said, “No, that’s not what it’s about. It’s about that time period and that year.” Although it certainly has nothing to do with me and I’m not sure quite sure why, but I was thinking, “Don’t make a movie about that!” I was happy that he could put my mind to rest on a completely random thing like that.
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/roman-polanski-rape-victim-samantha-geimer-quentin-tarantino-me-too-1201927148/

Last edited:
I for one still can't wait for this movie. I will see it the day it comes out. I guess that makes me an enabler. Throw me in with Tarantino. I guess you could use that to formulate I'm a horrible, irredeemable person. Based on what I say in an internet forum. I guess I'm letting Tarantino work after something he said 15 years ago that he has apologized for. How damning.

Nothing is good enough for people. Change starts just as much when wrongdoers try to change themselves by admitting it beforehand and paying. I sometimes think people don't want actual change to happen when they talk about it. They just want to stay angry. It reminds me of when people still shame parolees as criminals.

What I've learned is you tell someone not to do something or shame them for it, those people are only going to own it and double down and dig in deeper, and it's a result of not properly solving the problem. Look at Hillary's deplorables remark. What concerns me is we aren't having proper conversation. We're dealing in black and white and absolutes. Sounds familiar...

I'm going straight to hell. But if I'm going to hell, I hope Black Narcissus sits next to me in the movie theater. Middle, towards the right.

I'll bring the weed.

The way Darth is talking it's as though everyone who watches a Tarantino film is guilty of rape too.

And if a man farts within a 20 foot radius of a woman, she was raped. She didn't consent to that smell.

The way Darth is talking it's as though everyone who watches a Tarantino film is guilty of rape too. Tarantino is showing contrition for what he said. The only thing that'd make the torch and pitchfork folks happy at this point would be his ritualistic suicide.
Those that complain I am jumping to the extreme do it themselves to avoid the actual question. At the same time avoid what Tarantino did and said because he apologized. Well, not Greens. He is straight forward.

It becomes he apologized, that's enough, let's not actually talk about it and move on.

The, "We are guilty of rape too" line is a strawman to avoid the point. It avoids what Tarantino and people who have backed Weinstein, Polanski and Allen have been. Which is complicit. Tarantino was complicit with Weinstein. He knew and continued to be his friend and work with him.

He didn't just go on a radio show and talk about how a 13 year old girl can give consent to a 40 something you old dude, which honestly should be enough. But beyond that, his relationship with Weinstein is what it is. He knew, avoided it and kept working, and it ended up even happening to "his friend" and his girlfriend being assaulted.

And seriously, if you are okay with supporting someone who is okay with sexual assault and rape to the point of still remaining business partners and friends with men he knows did that, that is up to you. People still go to Steelers games. That talk about them all over ESPN. But it is extremely disingenuous to act like that isn't what he is. Because it is and we know it now.

Also specifically on the Polanski stuff. This is exactly why it comes off as BS imo.

Guardian Article: What does Hollywood's reverence for child rapist Roman Polanski tell us?

Can't post because of language.

Like all arguments in Polanski’s defence, the documentary stresses the previous tragedies in his life: his mother, four months’ pregnant, was killed in the Holocaust; his wife, eight months’ pregnant, was brutally murdered by the Manson family. But one can have enormous sympathy for those losses, and also feel that offering up dead women as mitigating factors for raping a girl doesn’t really wash.

I wrote about the documentary for this paper when it came out, as it struck me as astonishingly exculpatory. After all, no matter how badly the legal system failed Polanski, this didn’t cancel out the fact that he raped a child. But I was, it turned out, grossly out of step with the times. Readers, acquaintances and even friends couldn’t tell me enough how wrong I’d got it. By now, celebrities were falling over themselves to defend Polanski. He hadn’t committed “rape-rape,” Whoopi Goldberg said on TV. “Very clearly, and he’s proven this, Roman Polanski is not a predator,” Johnny Depp said, apparently unaware of the child-rape issue. When Polanski was arrested in Switzerland in 2009, where he was jailed for two months and then put under house arrest (the house, in this case, being a chalet in the Alps), Debra Winger claimed “the whole art world suffers”. A petition demanding his release was signed by more than 100 actors and film-makers, including Emma Thompson (who later asked to have her name removed), Yasmina Reza and Tilda Swinton. Harvey Weinstein wrote an open letter in his support, in which he claimed: “Whatever you think of his so-called crime, Polanski has served his time.” Supporting Polanski became like owning a Prius: something any fashionable, well-heeled liberal should do.

Well, eight years is a long time in sexual mores. Weinstein is now firmly banished and actors are apologising for appearing in Woody Allen movies. And yet Polanski’s name is mentioned only sporadically, even though he is the only one with an actual conviction. Moreover, more allegations have been made against him: in 2010, British actor Charlotte Lewis said Polanski abused her in 1983 when she was 16. Last year, four more allegations emerged: former US actor Mallory Millett said Polanski tried to rape her in 1970; German actor Renate Langer said the director raped her in Gstaad in 1972 when she was 15; a woman identified as Robin M said Polanski assaulted her in 1973 when she was 15; and a third, Marianne Barnard, accused him of assaulting her in 1975 when she was 10. Polanski denies the claims.

A woman known only as Robin M reads her statement claiming Polanski ‘sexually victimized’ her.

In recent months, Polanski’s supporters in Britain and the US, who were once so vocal in his defence, have been notable by their silence. So I decided to ask them how they felt about Polanski now. I start by emailing Zenovich to ask if she feels attitudes towards Polanski have changed since she made her movie and its follow-up, Roman Polanski: Odd Man Out, about the Zurich arrest. But she is too busy preparing for Sundance to engage. I then contact 25 actors who have worked with Polanski since his arrest, including Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslet, Kim Cattrall, Pierce Brosnan and Jodie Foster. Some don’t reply at all, despite repeated approaches. A few will only talk off the record. The rest say they are too busy. Adrien Brody, who won an Oscar for The Pianist, was “unable to participate due to schedule”. Kingsley, who has worked with Polanski multiple times, would “need to pass”.

I then contact the film-makers who signed the 2009 petition demanding Polanski’s release, including David Lynch, Wes Anderson and Martin Scorsese. Again, some ignore me, a couple will talk off the record, some are too busy to talk at all. Alexander Payne is currently “focused on his new baby”. Tilda Swinton “would like to graciously pass on being interviewed”. Only one person who signed the petition agrees to speak on the record: the actor Asia Argento, who has since accused Weinstein of abusing her.

I ask why she signed the petition in the first place. “I was asked by friends from the Cannes film festival to sign it. I foolishly went along. That’s no excuse, and it’s a decision I regretted almost immediately and have regretted ever since,” she says. “The more I’ve learned about the original case and subsequent events, the more horrified I have become.”

It is amazing how much it matches up with what Tarantino "thought" and probably continues to think. And the only reason he now apparently thinks different is because someone dug up some rather disgusting audio where he talks about a 13 year old girl being up for sex with a 40 something year old guy.

Last edited:
And if a man farts within a 20 foot radius of a woman, she was raped. She didn't consent to that smell.
Yep because a guy knowing about sexual assault and continuing to work and be friends with the guy he knows is totally the same thing. Playing down the rape of a 13 year old girl is totally the same thing. These things don't play into and help cause a culture of rape at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"