R.L. Stine's Fear Street - The Movie

Pretty much the part after the hospital to the actual trap in the high school, it feels like the tension vanishes, which is weird after the pacing of the attacks before then.

Pretty much the part after the hospital to the actual trap in the high school, it feels like the tension vanishes, which is weird after the pacing of the attacks before then.
I get what you mean. It feels like the "exposition dump" came a bit later in the film then you would expect.

My only real gripe was that the main brother/sister characters were so bland and they didn't look alike, but they get points for putting a black family as the leads. The other kids made up for them though, but still they were blah.

Thank God I didn't grow up in the burbs.

I’ll hand it to the movie, they really lulled me into a false sense of security, thinking the movie would have gotten all the kills out of its system in the first act and would let the core group walk away (relatively) unscathed.

Didn’t see
Simon and Kate
going down like that.

I enjoyed it overall. There was some weird pacing issues. It felt like the film suddenly started dragging after the hospital. And while I do understand and appreciate what they are going for with the trilogy of back to back films, I think this film should have made this film a tad more stand alone.

I think they cut down the first act - their was some ridiculous editing where shots were held for a second and then on to the next shot and same thing as well and how the 90s music keeps starting and then changing to a different track a bit too frequently - in order to 'get the show on the road'. And then the second and third acts kind of blur together and drag the whole thing out - reminded me a little of the new Mortal Kombat oddly enough that did that too. It also just wasn't funny or fun as the Scream movies and nor did I find the...threat...as interesting. While I didn't dislike the movie - it does deliver on some key elements - it ( :up::down ) could have been definitely been better. Maybe Part 2 will be that movie.

Thought this was a decent little slasher romp. Came off as a wannabe "Scream" with a supernatural element at first. I will watch the next films. The next 1978 one looks better and more fun.

Also, I find the kid who plays Simon to be one of the worst and most annoying actors. He was also terrible in The Woman in the Window.

Also, I find the kid who plays Simon to be one of the worst and most annoying actors. He was also terrible in The Woman in the Window.
This is the first time I've seen someone who didn't love Simon and I'm honestly at a complete loss for comprehension :huh:
Spoilers for the first movie in the trailer

Good, deliver on the creepy killer that got shown, but never showed up in the 94.

Very happy to see that. That was one of the drawbacks of the last film for me, that they used the three most generic killers. (Though Nightwing, while a basic design, was still pretty scary) I hope we also get The Milkman in this one.

I think they cut down the first act - their was some ridiculous editing where shots were held for a second and then on to the next shot and same thing as well and how the 90s music keeps starting and then changing to a different track a bit too frequently - in order to 'get the show on the road'. And then the second and third acts kind of blur together and drag the whole thing out - reminded me a little of the new Mortal Kombat oddly enough that did that too. It also just wasn't funny or fun as the Scream movies and nor did I find the...threat...as interesting. While I didn't dislike the movie - it does deliver on some key elements - it ( :up::down ) could have been definitely been better. Maybe Part 2 will be that movie.

Yeah, all of this.

It felt like half a good movie. The first half before the hospital, was very good. Everything afterwards felt rushed with no tension. None of the relationships felt that believable and the acting got progressively worse for some reason as it went along. As if it was played straight, then campy by the mid-point. Those constant 90s needle-drops and f-bombs made it feel like they were trying very hard to be edgy.

Still, that first half is pretty strong for a recommendation. I do think the second half would've played much better with a big audience in the theatre, though. The laughter alone would've enhanced it.

Last edited:
Kind of seems like they essentially filmed a 6-8 episode season of television that they then divided into 3 "movies".

I mean, the first movie is mostly a complete movie. I think a better comparison would be to a mini series, of 3 separate 2 hour parts.

We thought the second movie '1978' is a bit better than the first. A little more of a slow burn but you might have to adjust the contrast and brightness settings on your TV because it is literally a very dark movie.

I really enjoyed the second one. Definitely more of a slow burn, which was fine in and of itself, but kind of hurt the pacing set up in the first movie. I also felt that the characters weren't quite as memorable, though the main sisters and the killer were all great. (Sadie Sink especially, this more than makes up for her getting wasted in 'Eli'). However, I was bummed that:

The other killers had such minimal roles. 'Nightwing' was great - his blood-soaked face was freaking terrifying, and Razor Girl's song played for a great "Oh ****!" moment this time, but I was really hyped for Doll Mask and The Milkman. And they only got about 2 minutes of screentime. It's a bummer we likely won't see them again.

The ending was wild and unexpected, though. I'm very excited for 1666.

Enjoyed the heck out of 1978. I think the slightly slower pacing worked better for me.

I usually hate watching kids get hurt or die but there's something about the tone here that keeps this movie entertaining without going too far over into the deaths feeling meaningless and just silly.

Great use of "Sweet Jane."

The mythology of everything was starting to feel a little awkward but then that ending hits and 1666 gets teased and, dang, I felt a rush for how this story could get finished and brought together. There's something very cool and unique and ambitious about what they tried to do with this trilogy and it feels like they just might be able to follow through. But we'll see.

As a slasher film I thought this was pretty awesome, because it reminded me so much of my favorite sex and drug filled slashers from the 80's like Friday The 13th.

The kills in this are just brutal and graphic asf and I loved it aswell as the music selcetion which is something I also really enjoyed about 94 and man am I invested in this mythology.

The only thing I thought was lacking here was the fact that I didn't think the characters were as likable as 94, but Sadie Sink's peformance in this is pretty great.

Bring on 1666.

Anyone else think there's more to the Witch's story and that she may not be ENTIRELY guilty? Or that someone is making sure the murders continue? The body WAS moved after all, so who did it?

Anyone else think there's more to the Witch's story and that she may not be ENTIRELY guilty? Or that someone is making sure the murders continue? The body WAS moved after all, so who did it?
IIRC that was the case in the original books. And it's definitely suspicious that the curse made the caster supposedly immortal, and someone is clearly running around alive down in the witch's lair, yet Sarah Feir seems to be very skeletal...

IIRC that was the case in the original books. And it's definitely suspicious that the curse made the caster supposedly immortal, and someone is clearly running around alive down in the witch's lair, yet Sarah Feir seems to be very skeletal...
Then who was behind everything in the books?

Then who was behind everything in the books?
It's been a long time, so I had to check with Old Man Wikipedia:

In the books, the curse began when the Puritan Fier brothers had Susannah and Martha Goode (mother & daughter) burned at the stake under false accusations of witchcraft. The father then cursed the Feir family, a curse that followed them to Shadyside.

So it would seem that they swapped the family names, with Sarah Fier now the innocent accused witch and the Goode family being the ones who brought the curse upon Shadyside. I'm not sure what other changes they've made, because a lot of the original story doesn't really mesh with what we've seen so far of the villain. But I do think it's a safe bet that Sarah Fier was innocent.

Part I was fun, if a little flabby on the runtime. But I was invested and I didn't want to see any of the gang die, and you can't ask for more in a stalk and slash.

Part II I kinda loved. It goes straight for maybe the most primal of slasher settings: the summer camp. But instead of feeling derivative, it's like a variation on the blues: the same chord changes and structure is all there, but it's all in how you shake those notes, and Part II has got a tasty vibrato.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"