R.L. Stine's Fear Street - The Movie

I think my issue with these films are (I'm still having a fine time watching them) is it feels like its missing something and I think what it is, is an original movie monster or classic movie monster. Sure they have their own original ones in this film but they kinda just feel like cheap carbon copies of other slasher monsters in some form and I feel thats what they are going for but that leaves it feeling kinda hollow. ..if I don't really care for the cool classic monster or a cool new monster and if the cast keeps changing Every film in left with no real connection..

Well, this was a fun triple feature. 94 was definitely the weakest of the three films. 76 was probably the strongest, if a bit more of a traditional slasher. Best pacing of the three films. 1666 definitely stuck the landing.

Would have liked a little more time in 1666. It was fun to see the returning actors in different parts. Not gonna lie, I was slightly disappointed with the twist. It took me a minute to fit together the logic with how it worked. Kind of disappointed that they made Nick Goode the bad guy, but the twist is an emotional punch after watching 76 again. So, I grew to enjoy it. And as much as I would have wanted to spend more time in 1666, I absolutely adored the ending, aka 1994 Pt 2. I lol'ed when they did the title again. Watched too many Dead Meat Kill Counts on youtube, I guess. The final showdown in the mall, with the black light, was just wonderful, and made good use of the 90s. Super Soakers for life.

I am glad Netflix bought the films, as I do not think it would have worked too well as a theatrical experiment. I am down for more.

These were a lot of fun. One of the few times something I was looking forward to probably benefitted from shifting to streaming, honestly. I think it ended up a much more enjoyable experience weekly than two months apart each. I enjoyed them all, but I did find 76 to be the weak link of the bunch by a good margin. Still good, but I never felt as invested in it as the other two.

For me 1978 was the strongest. 1994 kind of fell apart halfway through. 1666 at least completed it right.

I agree that a monthly theatrical release might not have worked out for them at the box office. But I do feel these films would’ve benefited much better with a big audience. I might’ve enjoyed 1994 more with one. These are definitely audience movies. I’m sure there will be trilogy night theatrical screenings in the future with a big, loud crowd lol

1) Fear Street Part Two: 1978
2) Fear Street Part Three: 1666
3) Fear Street Part One: 1994

I thought 1666 got off to a slight rough start but landed in a better position at least.

1978, 1666 and 1994 in that order for me.

And I knew from I started 1994 that

the sheriff was the killer

What a awesome and fun ride this trilogy ended up being. God I hope we get more quality R.L. Stine adaptations like this in the future because I can't imagine this being the end seeing how popular these movies were atleast that's what it feels like for the past three weeks given the amount of buzz they created.

I found 1666 to be a very satisfying finale to it all, especially once they got to the mall and I even enjoyed the time spent in the Puritan era, although I didn't completely buy those Irish accents some of the cast members seemed to be dropping from time to time which was a little distracting IMO.

Still you could tell Netflix put some serious money into this one and into this franchise as a whole and I'm just glad we only had to wait a week to watch each installment instead of months or even years.

Also, I know can't be the only hoping for somekind of spinoff movie or series with the Martin character because I thought Darrell Britt-Gibson really stole the show in this when he was on oncreen.

1. 1978
2. 1666
3. 1994

Still you could tell Netflix put some serious money into this one and into this franchise as a whole and I'm just glad we only had to wait a week to watch each installment instead of months or even years.

it was actually a Fox film which then merged to Disney who then sold it to Netflix. Netflix had nothing to do with it other than distributing it as the film was already filmed and in post-production.

‘Fear Street’: How Netflix’s R-Rated Horror Trilogy Survived the Fox-Disney Merger

Not totally correct. In the Collider Witching Hour interview, Janiak says Netflix financially supported a lot of the post-production and helped guide it into its serial film form. She said she had even more freedom and support to make the films she wanted to make once it went to Netflix, and that Netflix was very generous about securing all those needle-drops, ha.

Those accents in 1666 were quite unfortunate.

I loved all of these. Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I think '94 is still my favorite. I just enjoyed those characters way more. I think '78 would have been better as an individual movie, but the slow-burn buildup (which I normally love) coming off the breakneck pacing of the previous movie's ending ground the action to a halt.

I really enjoyed 1666 (it had the best performance from the leads, IMO) but with an extra 15 minutes or so it could have been perfect. There just wasn't enough build-up for the climax, particuarily regarding Adult C. Berman and Sheriff Goode. And more time to unpack the ramifications of the curse, because they had a really great theme going with the rich and privileged leaching their success off of the poor and marginalized, but that never got the space to really sink in.

Regarding the big twist:

Back in '94 I definitely called the sheriff as the killer. But then '78 was successful in winning me over to him as a good (pun intended) guy. So props to them for that. And it also gives cover to the issues from '78 with him walking off a grievous leg wound and the magic CPR he gave Ziggy. He's a warlock, so those questions can just get magic-ed away.

But that really gets into how badly I wish we'd gotten more time post-reveal with him and Adult Ziggy. They could have really delved into why he saved her, why their relationship turned the way it did, and see him try and justify himself, leaning into the "American Dream" themes in the process. Also, above all - Give him the realization that had he only let Sam be, he would have gotten away with it. But he was so vindictively afraid of her and Deena finding out his secret that he claimed another name too soon and doomed himself.

Also, I LOVED how the Puritan scenes played out as a reverse 'Crucible,' where John Proctor is the villain and Abigail is the protagonist.

These have huge re-watch potential for years to come. And it was so good to watch them each Friday with my friends. I second the hope for a Martin-based spin-off.

As much as an issue the pace is in 1994, I also realized that that was essentially the beat of a Goosebumps book. I think I only read one fear street book, but I imagine Stine's pacing would be the same.

I really enjoyed this trilogy as a whole.

Some of the stuff in 1666 reminded me of early Peter Jackson or what might have happened if Peter Jackson had made a modestly budgeted horror trilogy right after Lord of the Rings. The staging and camera movements during the village witch hunt at night especially evoked that kind of wonderful sense of action geography and kinetic vision that PJ was so good at.

I am also very down with Janiak's obvious love for The Pixies.

So, yeah, the storytelling isn't always elegant but some of that is by virtue of the ambition of what they tried to do with these 3 movies. That kind of reminded me of Peter Jackson, too, oddly enough.

I am actually itching to rewatch these, probably will around Halloween. While some flaws will probably get bigger, I also get the feeling that there is a surprising level of intricacy and inter-referencing going on in this little world that Janiak created that will be pretty rewarding to return to.

I guess I’ll be that crazy contrarian and say that I think the 1666 is the weakest of trilogy for me. Those bad accents were too grating and distracting for me to take seriously and I couldn’t stop laughing at them, and I don’t like using 94’ and 78’ cast for 1666. I would’ve infinitely enjoyed 1666 if they just gone with totally different people. Overall, I enjoyed the trilogy and found it a lot of fun. I thought it was a blast and unusually high quality for a Netflix movie(which I realize this was one of those movies that Netflix purchased, not produced on their own).

Last edited:
I really started getting excited about a ’50s slasher movie, which I haven’t really seen and what that means. It’s just cool to think about the different eras and what’s possible as a horror fan.

50s would be cool. I guess they really could do any decade. Any century!

Do a pro magnum man slasher ala Quest for Fire.

Would a sequel works that takes place in present day? Like how the kids from 1994 would be adults (obviously played by different actors) and their kids or nieces/nephews would now be involved?

I mean, the Stine universe perfectly lends itself to this. A present-day setting would be especially fascinating to see the ramifications of the ending for the status quo of Sunnydale and Shadyside.

But above all else, I don't care how, I repeat my need for a Martin spin-off. Maybe he teams up with the little brother and his internet crush to take on killers, ghosts and all manner of spooks?

I would hate to move past the 90s and the neon aesthetic they went for.

Yeah, present-day would just feel like any other modern slasher film. I think the fact that each one was a period film that tied back to a larger narrative gave it a lot of its fun. There are so many fun decades they could tackle before I'd want to see a modern one set in this world.

yeah I agree with the others that 1978 was the best of the 3 but the finale in 1666 was pretty damn good. Oh forgot I did not realize that Maya Hawke was in this in a small role

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"