Race in movies.

With some characters, race is important and probably shouldn't be changed. For instance, I don't think Storm should be played by a white woman. She is one of the most prominent black female superheroes, and many of her fans seem to be proud of that fact. Also, her African heritage is integral to the character's appearance, history, and motivations whether implied or otherwise.

Sophie Okonedo should've played Storm. I just have to get that off my chest.

Dean Cain played Superman, and he's half asian. No one seemed to be bothered by that.

It's not obvious that he's Asian.

[qute]
Nick Fury actually recently used his ultimate look as a disguise over in the 616 continuity.[/quote]

Yes, a disguise. Doesn't mean he's a black guy in the 616, though.

I would like to see the 616 Fury on film in the future. He needs more then a crappy Hasslehoff movie.

There was a black Captain America, which if they ever did a movie of, would be incredible.

He wasn't Steve Rogers.

I would like to see the Cap films go into The Truth mini-series eventually.

Dean Cain played Superman, and he's half asian. No one seemed to be bothered by that.

It's not obvious that he's Asian.

Nick Fury actually recently used his ultimate look as a disguise over in the 616 continuity.

I would like to see the 616 Fury on film in the future. He needs more then a crappy Hasslehoff movie.

There was a black Captain America, which if they ever did a movie of, would be incredible.

I would like to see the Cap films go into The Truth mini-series eventually.

With some characters, race is important and probably shouldn't be changed. For instance, I don't think Storm should be played by a white woman. She is one of the most prominent black female superheroes, and many of her fans seem to be proud of that fact. Also, her African heritage is integral to the character's appearance, history, and motivations whether implied or otherwise.

You know that's a good point I felt Halle Berry was not right at least without the accent she should have had an African accent.That's what I loved most about the X-men.When I was a kid was the fact that this was the first time I seen hero's from around the world which makes sense since Mutants should be everywhere.It just made so much sense to me.I remember being disappointed when Colossus wasn't Russion.Or at least have the accent.It just baffled me how the go through all this trouble in comics and just let it roll on by in movies where it's easier than a comic to potray an accent.
I think Iman was born to be Storm actually she is Storm.right down to the age because Storm is supposed to be older.Accent,Style,Regalness when you see Iman you think Royalty.
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/raim0007/gwss3307_fall2007/iman.jpg

Race doesn't matter. Skin color does.
For white characters, white people must play them. If the character is British, then it doesn't matter whether an actor of Irish, Scottish, Russian, etc descent play them.
For black characters, if the character is say... jamaican, then any black person can play him.
For Asian characters, if the characters are Japanese, then a Korean or Chinese can play them. Same goes for Japanese playing Koreans and Koreans playing Chinese.
Get what I'm saying?

It did bother me when Kingpin and Harvey Dent were black in the movies. And it definately bothered me when Sue Storm was played by Jessica Alba.

For white characters, white people must play them. If the character is British, then it doesn't matter whether an actor of Irish, Scottish, Russian, etc descent play them.
For black characters, if the character is say... jamaican, then any black person can play him.
For Asian characters, if the characters are Japanese, then a Korean or Chinese can play them. Same goes for Japanese playing Koreans and Koreans playing Chinese.
Get what I'm saying?

:huh: Uhh...not really. You say race doesn't matter and then start listing nationalites. Everybody from Britain isn't white, for example.

Get what I'm saying?

It did bother me when Kingpin and Harvey Dent were black in the movies. And it definately bothered me when Sue Storm was played by Jessica Alba.
In all honesty you say that because you not Chinese or Japanese. If you were Japanese it might bother you that a Chinese person is playing the role of a Japanese person. To us it might not matter because we have the unfortunate habit of putting people into groups. Were like Japanese, Chinese, Korean eh, same thing Asian. We do the same thing with Hispanics we say eh Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban eh same thing. It’s not. Say that to a Mexican, Puerto Rican Cuban etc.their different in culture food even their Spanish Dialects are different. It would be like seeing a Russian person and expect him to speak Dutch just because he has blond hair and blue eyes. Example I remember when Jennifer Lopez was playing the role of Selina.Alot of Mexican people were upset. To a point I can understand, they want someone who is going to understand their culture and background.
Example.
What if a Canadian, Austrailian, or Russian person were playing Captain America?
As much as many of would like to say okay it doesn’t matter, the truth is we want to see Captain America played by an American.
Even if someone overseas, Japanese or Chinese person said what the big deal he’s still white. It may not matter to them at all but it would matter to many of us.

Manic
What's your opinion on my picks for Storm?
Iman or Naomi Cambell.

See that's the thing: YOU GUYS DON'T MATTER.
All that matters is the character in the movie and whoever is best suited to play a role gets it regardless of their nationality/ethnicity.

Specifics don't matter in Hollywood.

Uhh...not really. You say race doesn't matter and then start listing nationalites. Everybody from Britain isn't white, for example.

Oh please... I'm pretty sure you get what I meant.

HMARRS, dude Im not much of a talker on comic characters. but i appreciate your friendship. not to sound negitive but Im just a guy who come on here to read and laugh at people mistakes. hope I did not mislead you on ???? so forgive me on this thread had a few beers

HMARRS, dude I really dont care about superhero's I enjoy watching them when I can its just a movie concept. of one man Ideal on a film.

Manic
What's your opinion on my picks for Storm?
Iman or Naomi Cambell.
I love Iman. The lady embodies everything about Storm. She's black, beautiful, strong, and regal. Some might argue that she's too old, though.

With Naomi Campbell, I can't help but imagine Storm throwing whiny temper tantrums and hitting people with her cell phone.

SKIN COLOR, genius... SKIN COLOR.
The color of your skin is what matters not your nationality/ethnicity.

Did you not read what I said?

You must not be reading yourself...genius.

In one instance you say "whites must play whites". Then in another instance you say "whoever is best suited gets the role regardless of nationality/ethnicity"

Like I said...contradiction.

In one instance you say "whites must play whites". Then in another instance you say "whoever is best suited gets the role regardless of nationality/ethnicity"

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Rock, they're making a distinction between ethnicity and color. Ethnicity is cultural. Color is appearance. They're saying it doesn't matter what your cultural background is, but it does matter what you look like.

For example, have you ever looked at an application of some sort, and noticed that the part where you fill out your race has a listing for 'Hispanic' and a separate listing for 'Hispanic/non-White'? Or maybe a 'Hispanic/White' listing? That's because Hispanic is an ethnicity, but not all Hispanic people are the same color.

Rock, they're making a distinction between ethnicity and color. Ethnicity is cultural. Color is appearance. They're saying it doesn't matter what your cultural background is, but it does matter what you look like.

I understand that that is what he probably meant. But it's not what he said.

Ethnicity and nationality are not the same thing.

RockSP you posted:
I feel what your saying.What I'm saying is Kingpin doesn't say much.

What I'm saying is big guys who don't say much don't have to worry about how they act.
Even if Kingpin stood in the background as a siloutte it would have worked.It's not Shakesprere

There is A LOT MORE to acting than this, whether you are a "big guy" or not...you can be a giant but still have the worst screen presence imaginable.

To prove my point, Matt Damon is 5'9" and has as much or more than enough presence - moreso than many actors that are 6 foot and up...

I love Iman. The lady embodies everything about Storm. She's black, beautiful, strong, and regal. Some might argue that she's too old, though.

With Naomi Campbell, I can't help but imagine Storm throwing whiny temper tantrums and hitting people with her cell phone.

I think angela bessett would of been a good storm. she has the experience as a good black actress to protray a believable storm with authority.

HMARRS,
do you think terence howard make a good IRON MAN in the sec. movie??? or 3rd movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"