Time to Discuss Race: The White Washing of The Shredder

Am I the only one who found Shredder more interesting without the armor? I freaking loved his training session, when he took out Foot Soldiers with his hands tied behind his back. Why couldn't we just get some gritty 'The Raid' style action sequences, instead of the boring super hero/villain smack down.

well since Shredder wasn't white washed I think it's time to put this thread to bed...

Haha yea, pretty much. Just finished watching the movie, and after Shredder confirmed NOT whit washed, I immediately thought of this thread lol. I actually hope he ends up being Krang like the 2003 show. Anyways /thread.

Am I the only one who found Shredder more interesting without the armor? I freaking loved his training session, when he took out Foot Soldiers with his hands tied behind his back. Why couldn't we just get some gritty 'The Raid' style action sequences, instead of the boring super hero/villain smack down.

Probably because the 'boring super hero/villain smack down' is far from boring. Well look at the current box office trends anyways.
That is, if one were to actually assess something for it's own inherent merits as opposed to some preconception then one might see what the rest of the GA sees. Something that probably isn't boring.

This movie really felt like they just inserted Shredder late into production. I'm guessing they originally had Sachs donning the Shredder suit, so I'm glad they changed it, but it's still not very good.

I'm just going to say, someone in my audience noted how all of the minorities in this movie were bad guys. If they had stuck in Yamato Yoshi in like all of the other incarnations have, then at least we would have had a good minority character, whether he be Splinter's master or Splinter himself. But since they decided to scrap Yoshi altogether for the effed origin they came up with, they really don't have a leg to stand on. If there is a sequel, they should consider making Casey Jones into a minority.

So people should moan and cpmplain about white washing Shredder, but it'd be ok to make Casey Jones a minority.

No, Casey should stay the way he's depicted in every incarnation he's ever been in. White.

So TMNT turned out to be the anti-Iron Man 3.Who'd have thunk it?:awesome:

I liked how the film Shredder turned out. I've heard some arguments which say it may have been better for Sachs to be Shredder but I've yet to see a real compelling reason why it couldn't have remained as is in the final product. Hamoto was much more of a badass than Sachs anyway so sticking to the source material in that case worked out for the better.

It's interesting as i found the look/vibe whatever you want to call it of the turtles as very african american/black - especially Raphael - he reminded me of a 50 cent style bad boy character and Michaelangelo as stoner/cool surfer/rasta dude - and in no way did i mean this in a negative way.

The main cast were white, with the except of shredder and co - i wasn't too impressed with Splinter sounding the way he did - but hey, neither here or there.

Talking about race is always a sensitive subject and i in no way mean any disrespect - just wondering what other's feel - if anything .

People tend to project onto the turtles because their personalities are such distinct archetypes. Incorporating a like for rap music will very much mean that some will project that onto them.

I think the Turtles more or less reflect whatever pop culture is happening at the time.When they first hit it big circa 1990 Hip Hop was the new craze.(Frankly I hated it,even as a kid.Although,I remember digging the soundtrack to the first two films.Turtle Power,Ninja Rap.) and the Turtles reflected the fact that that's what kids were listening to.Not much has changed in that regard in this film.(Apparently they got their taste for music from watching Gwen Stefani videos)

I actually thought up the theory that Sacks had, for some whatever reason, created some alt. persona that thought himself as the Shredder. That way, in the next film, it could fully explore Shredder as he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"