Rank 'em: Season 5

rumpuso said:
This is almost too hard for me to work out in my head. When I love an episode, I lump it at the top, but when I'm only mildly entertained, it just falls behind my favorites. I never rank them in my mind. But I'll take a stab at it so I can play along too.
Done! Interesting that the respective order hasn't changed. We may be settling in with an approximate ranking of eps.

I have a hard time ranking individual episodes. Especially when the story transfers from one to another, because without the former I wouldnt fully understand the later.

The only think I will say is thus far season 5 is kicking seaons 4's butt.

vyperman7 said:
To me Vengenance was good enough to get a 10.

It kicked the crap out of Reckoning, which I felt was a horrible episode. I will explain why I feel this way. The whole show has been leading up to Lana learning the truth, yet the reveal was rushed and poorly handled. There was no mention from Clark that Krypton was destroyed which was responsible for the meteor shower that killed Lana's parents, there was not really much of a reaction from Lana, as I felt she was way too accepting, and there was no looking back on the past. I really wanted her to bring up the tornado in Vortex especially since the jump/flight and the tornado were two times Clark defied gravity. Not to mention that it was the first time Lana really started asking questions. Then there was Lex finding out about Clark and it not amounting to anything. In both Hug from S1 and Shattered from S3 we got hear his thoughts on it. All we got was a gasp. It just seemed like a wasted opportunity to me.

In the end Clark ultimately chose Lana over his father because he was told that nature would find a balance. So they could have at least let Lana walk away knowing the truth to make the death more meaningful. Why not tell Lana the truth, and use the knowledge of the accident to keep her safe? Lana being in danger from knowing was ALWAYS a risk, and he still told her the first time around. Clark also got off way too easily with Martha. Overall, the episode was just too rushed and would have been much better as a two episode story arc to fit in more things like fallout over Lana's initial death instead of just showing up at the FOS, the scene between JK and Clark in the FOS, Lex's thoughts on finding out about Clark, etc..

For being the big 100th episode that was supposed to change the course of the show as we know it, all that really changed was JK's death, which turned out to be for nothing. Everything else is back to square one.

Now Vengenance had me skeptical going in because of how terrible Reckoning was. But it turned out to be one of the best episodes they have done in my opinion. It felt like an old episode of Smallville to me. There were things that would make a great episode in my eyes. Lex vs Lionel, great Supes references, nice character development, and an ending that had an impact. Vengenance had all four. I just thought it was a really well done episode overall and everything worked for me, which is why I gave it a 10.

You make some points Ryan that are clearly what alot of fans think, however I dont think the episode was meant to be so cut and dry.

The reason why we didnt go into all the detail with Lana finding out about the secret is because that is going to be done at a later date when she does find out for real and gets to keep it. That teaser was just that a teaser into what the basics would be if Clark told Lana his secret.

I thought the gasp and the look that Lex gave after seeing Clark fly by was perfect. At first when Lex came out of the car it was all about Lana, then bang he sees Clark and that is all he is interested in. That look will now set up the plot for the Lexana. He may have feelings for Lana, but its all about Clark.

And as for the sacrificing his Dad for Lana, well that is such a lengthy conversation that has so many aspects to it, that I wouldnt even try to discuss it here. :)

Interesting tallying of these episodes.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but anyone know where i can get an animated gif of Braniac's enterance in Arrival?

01 Solitude
02 Arrival
03 Reckoning
04 Spliinter
05 Lexmas
06 Exposed
07 Lockdown
08 Aqua
09 Hidden
10 Fanatic
11 Vengeance
12 Mortal
13 Thirst
14 Tomb

avidreader said:
You make some points Ryan that are clearly what alot of fans think, however I dont think the episode was meant to be so cut and dry.

The reason why we didnt go into all the detail with Lana finding out about the secret is because that is going to be done at a later date when she does find out for real and gets to keep it. That teaser was just that a teaser into what the basics would be if Clark told Lana his secret.

I thought the gasp and the look that Lex gave after seeing Clark fly by was perfect. At first when Lex came out of the car it was all about Lana, then bang he sees Clark and that is all he is interested in. That look will now set up the plot for the Lexana. He may have feelings for Lana, but its all about Clark.

And as for the sacrificing his Dad for Lana, well that is such a lengthy conversation that has so many aspects to it, that I wouldnt even try to discuss it here. :)

Interesting tallying of these episodes.

In regards to the Clana reveal, that was my point though. Why put it off yet again? If there was anytime that Lana should finally know the truth it was the 100th episode. In order for the progress of the show to move forward, they need to give the fans resolution. I don't know about those who ship Clana, but I have been sick of the angst and endless back and forth since the beginning of S3. I loved the initial reaction of Lex with the gasp. But I was upset that we did not get more out of it. At least a "I knew it all along" or something along those lines. I just wanted Lex to say or do something.

Clark didn't know who would replace Lana. But he was told that nature would find a balance. So even though he didn't outright say that he was choosing Lana over his father. That is ultimately what happened because JK took Lana's place. To me, it made JK's death seem meaningless because nothing in the Clana relationship changed to warrant JK dying instead of Lana.

vyperman7 said:
Clark didn't know who would replace Lana. But he was told that nature would find a balance. So even though he didn't outright say that he was choosing Lana over his father. That is ultimately what happened because JK took Lana's place. To me, it made JK's death seem meaningless because nothing in the Clana relationship changed to warrant JK dying instead of Lana.

Well I guess its all about pacing, so stay tuned. I think something big is going to happen with regards to Lana. Dunno what, but think it will. She has to make a bigger impact than what she has done so far with Clark's journey.

After Reckoning, i`m done with Smallville. The worst episode ever where Clark chose Lana over Jonathan. Real hero, huh? :rolleyes:

I seriously can`t believe how you, supposed Supermna fans, love this episode...

Oh. And i didn`t mention Pa Kent bad filmed, unemotional death.

SpiderDaniel said:
After Reckoning, i`m done with Smallville. The worst episode ever where Clark chose Lana over Jonathan. Real hero, huh? :rolleyes:

I seriously can`t believe how you, supposed Supermna fans, love this episode...

Oh. And i didn`t mention Pa Kent bad filmed, unemotional death.

He didn't choose Lana over his father, "Fate" had to have him pay a price, he kept protecting Lana so Fate found a way...

Martha even said to Clark "Could you have chosen between them if you'd had the chance?" It wasn't his fault.

He blames himself, but if there is any blame to lay it should be on Jor-El instead. He saved Clark's life which "unbalanced" things... The Universe needed to be righted.

So it wasn't Lana's life that Jonathan died to save, it was Clark's.

I'm not sure I totally buy the whole Universe needing to be balanced thing, but given a choice between Clark's life and Jonathan's I'd pick Clark.

His destiny isn't to die from a gunshot....

Jonathan's number was up anyway, eventually. His heart has been weak since the third season.

triplet said:
He didn't choose Lana over his father, "Fate" had to have him pay a price, he kept protecting Lana so Fate found a way...

Martha even said to Clark "Could you have chosen between them if you'd had the chance?" It wasn't his fault.

He blames himself, but if there is any blame to lay it should be on Jor-El instead. He saved Clark's life which "unbalanced" things... The Universe needed to be righted.

So it wasn't Lana's life that Jonathan died to save, it was Clark's.

I'm not sure I totally buy the whole Universe needing to be balanced thing, but given a choice between Clark's life and Jonathan's I'd pick Clark.

His destiny isn't to die from a gunshot....

Jonathan's number was up anyway, eventually. His heart has been weak since the third season.

Thats exactely where you`re wrong. Superman would never pick one. He would chose both. Clark knew that there was a balance. I`m sorry but i don`t buy your theory. Smalliville turned Clark into Spider-man, making him become a hero because of guilt. And this to me is unaceptable.

And i`m not going to mention the fact the Death itself was so badly filmed and unemotional at all or the fact they treated the audience like stupid people and things went back to square one with Lana not knowing his secred identity or even having a relationship with him. This episode destroyed what Superman stands for, in my opinion. Superman is not who he is because of guilt over his father death, period.

Do you wanna know what i feel? Read Neal Bailey`s Smallville reviews from Superman homepage.

SpiderDaniel said:
Thats exactely where you`re wrong. Superman would never pick one. He would chose both. Clark knew that there was a balance. I`m sorry but i don`t buy your theory. Smalliville turned Clark into Spider-man, making him become a hero because of guilt. And this to me is unaceptable.

And i`m not going to mention the fact the Death itself was so badly filmed and unemotional at all or the fact they treated the audience like stupid people and things went back to square one with Lana not knowing his secred identity or even having a relationship with him. This episode destroyed what Superman stands for, in my opinion. Superman is not who he is because of guilt over his father death, period.

Well, I disagree... I was worried about that too when I heard about the death but Clark isn't feeling guilty now... not since Vengeance. He has now realized it wasn't really his fault.

He didn't choose, Fate did or the Universe or whatever.

He saved Lana, yes, but did that because he thought he could cheat and save her so no one would have to die because of him. He was wrong and so fate found his father instead.

In a way, it's similar to what happened to Clark in STM: he discovered even with how powerful he was that he couldn't save everyone.

THAT Clark's journey to the arctic so he could form the FOS was caused by his guilt over not being able to save his father... It's not that much different than what happened in Smallville, IMO.

SpiderDaniel said:
Do you wanna know what i feel? Read Neal Bailey`s Smallville reviews from Superman homepage.

I'd rather not, thanks.

If you want to know what I think, you can read my reviews over on ksite.

SpiderDaniel said:

I couldnt ever bring myself to read that guy's reviews, if that's what you could call them. No wonder you feel the way you do.

We had an episode after Reckoning which clearly showed that Clark was not going to become Superman out of guilt. He is going to become Superman because his dad brought him up with strong morals and to do the right thing.

You need to listen to the dialogue of an entire episode instead of picking it to pieces between the commercial breaks like Bailey does.

I disagree. In Superman the movie Its totally different. Clark, feeling that he couldn`t save everyone, wanted to do more for this world and went to the artic to know more about him and became Superman. In Smallville, Jor-el warned that there would be a balance of the unverse. To my mind, Superman doesn`t chose between two lives. He wouldn`t take that risk. Jonathan died because of him. Because he went back in time to save Lana. So yes it is his fault, even though he is not directly responsible, his actions lead to Jonathans death, so he is no hero to me.

"I'd rather not, thanks."

And this is very close minded of your part, in my opinon.

I read your review and i disagree with it. And him becoming Superman because of guilt is not the only sin they made with this character in this show. Superman not being a virgin and having sex with Lana is another.

The writes simply don`t understand Superman. And i`m not even metioning that this show has not character development at all.

avidreader said:
I couldnt ever bring myself to read that guy's reviews, if that's what you could call them. No wonder you feel the way you do.

We had an episode after Reckoning which clearly showed that Clark was not going to become Superman out of guilt. He is going to become Superman because his dad brought him up with strong morals and to do the right thing.

You need to listen to the dialogue of an entire episode instead of picking it to pieces between the commercial breaks like Bailey does.

Yeah. I`ve seen it and it was a good move. But the death itself of Jonathan was worse than Anakin`s mom death in Star Wars episode II. And his father didn`t need to die for him to be like this. Reckoning was made just to get peoples ratings. THe time travel sucked, it felt like i was watching Final Destination 4....It was one of the worst episodes, in my opinon. Too bad for John Schneider, who he is a great actor...

avidreader said:
Perhaps you should move on then. :rolleyes:

And i`m not being as childish as you are now. I`m just expressing my opinion.

SpiderDaniel said:
And i`m not being as childish as you are now. I`m just expressing my opinion.

You were the one that said you were done with Smallville.

SpiderDaniel said:
After Reckoning, i`m done with Smallville.

I'm just agreeing with you. But its nice at my age to be thought of as childish. :)

SpiderDaniel said:
The writes simply don`t understand Superman. And i`m not even metioning that this show has not character development at all.

Or maybe... they are just doing a different take on him!

Naah.. that would be silly, who would ever do that?

Oh, wait...

SpiderDaniel said:
I disagree. In Superman the movie Its totally different. Clark, feeling that he couldn`t save everyone, wanted to do more for this world and went to the artic to know more about him and became Superman. In Smallville, Jor-el warned that there would be a balance of the unverse. To my mind, Superman doesn`t chose between two lives. He wouldn`t take that risk. Jonathan died because of him. Because he went back in time to save Lana. So yes it is his fault, even though he is not directly responsible, his actions lead to Jonathans death, so he is no hero to me.

Well, I disagree so I guess we'll have to leave it at that...

SpiderDaniel said:
"I'd rather not, thanks."

And this is very close minded of your part, in my opinon.

Why? Because I don't like his reviews?

I don't have to read them if I don't like the way he writes.

SpiderDaniel said:
I read your review and i disagree with it. And him becoming Superman because of guilt is not the only sin they made with this character in this show. Superman not being a virgin and having sex with Lana is another.

You don't have to like or agree with mine either, but just because you don't doesn't make you close minded... Puhleeze...

Arrogant much?

As for him no longer being a virgin has anything to do with him being Superman: I don't think that has anything to do with anything.

I don't know why people get so hung up on that. Just because he had sex with a woman he loves doesn't make him less of a hero than before, although telling you that is like yelling into the wind: it's a pointless excercise so whatever... you don't have to reply to that.

SpiderDaniel said:
The writers simply don`t understand Superman. And i`m not even metioning that this show has not character development at all.

I don't think we're watching the same show... There's been tons of character development in this show, especially this season.

Whatever, I think maybe you should move on like avid suggested. This show is obviously not for you.

I'll go on enjoying the show and you can start watching Survivor guilt free.

Down from one to fourteen ...

Splinter
Arrival
Vengeance
Reckoning
Hidden
Mortal
Solitude
Exposed
Lockdown
Tomb
Lexmas
Aqua
Fanatic
Thirst

triplet said:
I don't think we're watching the same show... There's been tons of character development in this show, especially this season.

Where is the character development?

1)Martha is going to tie with Lionel Luthor=BAD MOVE
2)Lana is going to be the reason Lex and Clark are going to be enemies= BAD MOVE
3)Lex loves Lana= BAD MOVE
4)Clark become Superman out of guilt = BAD MOVE
5)Lana and Clark aren`t together anymore and we were treated like idiots because she doesnt know the secret anymore =BAD MOVE

Listen, Reckoning felt to me like that frog-eationg clones arc of Lois & Clark. I love Lois and Clark and i hated that arc.

And your opinion isn`t going to change it.

All i feel is that Smallville isn`t as good as it is supposed to be.

Most of what your quoting above Spider is assumption. You are just guessing that things are going to play out the way you have them visioned in your mind.

I say for anyone that is having trouble with this fate and destinty stuff, should watch episode 3.12 Hereafter (interesting that episode 12 was the first time that we see Jonathan have a problem with his heart) and episode 3.17 Legacy.

Both of those episodes deal with fate and destiny and deal directly with Clark and Jonathan.

SpiderDaniel said:
Where is the character development?

1)Martha is going to tie with Lionel Luthor=BAD MOVE
2)Lana is going to be the reason Lex and Clark are going to be enemies= BAD MOVE
3)Lex loves Lana= BAD MOVE
4)Clark become Superman out of guilt = BAD MOVE
5)Lana and Clark aren`t together anymore and we were treated like idiots because she doesnt know the secret anymore =BAD MOVE

Listen, Reckoning felt to me like that frog-eationg clones arc of Lois & Clark. I love Lois and Clark and i hated that arc.

And your opinion isn`t going to change it.

All i feel is that Smallville isn`t as good as it is supposed to be.

Well, I think you are mistaking plot points you don't like for "lack of character development"... it ain't the same thing.

We're not talking the same language here.

Character development is a character changing over time, which has happened.

Clark is far more confident and sure of himself. Go back and watch the first season, he's changed a lot since the Pilot.

In fact he's actually changed a lot even since this season's premiere...

As for what you think is going to happen, I'm not so sure what you've spelled out above is where the show is headed....

1. Reckoning
2. Lexmas
3. Hidden
4. Arrival
5. Cyborg
6. Solitude
7. Splinter
8. Fanatic
9. Mortal
10. Vengeance
11. Aqua
12. Lockdown