Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time Thread

Hands-on from Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/09/hands-on-ratchet-and-clank-a-crack-in-time/

At E3, I played around in a non-linear level in which the main task was to eliminate a series of sub-bosses scattered around the environment (like the Hydra Tank pictured at top). The level was layered with optional, exploratory sections that required somewhat-skilled use of Ratchet's zippy hover boots, used to launch off of ramps or grind along hanging cables to secret locations. There was another, AI-controlled lombax (Ratchet's species) hopping and flipping about the world. Community manager James Stevenson explained that this was General Alistair Azimuth, a Jedi Master-looking lombax, who is partnered up with Ratchet for at least part of the adventure. The traditional sidekick, Clank, is still kidnapped (from the last game), and players will spend some time as the sentient robot trying to sort out his predicament.

As Stevenson continued to delve further into the plot outline, I quickly became confused by the web of alien words: "Zoni" and "Agorian" and "Obisidian Eye" -- and so on ... What was clear was that A Crack in Time will complete the Tools of Destruction story arc, revealing elements of Ratchet's mysterious past (via Gen. Azimuth) and the true fate of the lombax, along the way. While I can't vouch for the significance of these revelations, I could appreciate that Insomniac had gone with a new, more cel-shaded visual filter to enhance the "CG movie" (Stevenson's words) motif the studio is attempting to mimic. The game looks like you're playing inside a blockbuster, animated feature, and, ideally, the improved animations and visual enhancements will translate into greater emotional attachment to the characters and narrative.

Of course, these storytelling goals are moot without a solid, core gameplay experience. Thankfully, that's what Ratchet & Clank has always done best and is poised to do again. A Crack in Time is paced with a variety of gameplay scenarios; from the open-world level I played to linear action-platforming segments to time-manipulating puzzles. Anything that could be considered mundane, third-person shooting is made exciting by new additions to the series patented line of off-the-wall weapons, including the Sonic Eruptor (an actual creature with a devastating mating call), the Plasma Striker (a sniper rifle/crossbow that identifies enemy weak points), and the Cryomine Glove (used to toss freezing mines, of course). I also got a look at a new gadget, the Omnisoaker, which inhales any liquid in the world and reproduces an unlimited supply for use as a weapon or distraction -- a few, well-placed globs of nectar will by Ratchet enough time to sneak past a deadly swarm of tetramites, for example.

By contrast, Clank's levels will focus more on cerebral puzzles. I was shown several that required the player to use "time pods" to record and playback overlapping Clanks, each performing a necessary action in a switch-activation puzzle. The puzzles became increasingly complex, requiring players to overwrite and rerecord more and more Clanks, culminating in one example that Insomniac confirmed was for testing purposes only. Still, expect to see Clank vying for more playtime than ever in A Crack in Time.

Admittedly, I'm not the foremost scholar of Ratchet & Clank lore, but I know a good game when I see one. So consider one seen.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time is scheduled for release in Fall 2009.

http://kotaku.com/5306490/insomniac-moons-for-your-ratchet--clank-pre+order

Insomniac is promising players the moon in exchange for their Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time pre-order, one of four different pre-order packages scattered across the universe of video game retail.

Lombax fans who put their money down on Ratchet & Clank's latest PlayStation 3 adventure at GameStop will gain exclusive access to the Insomniac Moon, a special planet laid out to resemble the Insomniac offices, chock-full of extra content that didn't make it into the game. They're calling the planet the Discovery Package. And then there's the Power Package, that lets players start off with extra hit points, an exclusive weapon skin, and the Cryo Mine Glove, which ejects mines that freeze enemies in their place.

Now how much would you pay? But wait! There's more. Also up for grabs is the Space Package, with a hot rod spaceship skin, 5,000 free bolts, and a custom PlayStation Home avatar! Or perhaps you'd prefer Amazon's Bolt Package, which includes 5,000 bolts, the Bolt Magnetizer, and a handy Box Basher?

So we've got GameStop, Amazon, and the other two will end up at Game Crazy and Best Buy. Considering the options in my area, looks like the Discovery Package for me. I suppose I could have done worse.

Meh. I don't like the fact that the Insomniac Moon/Museum is being exclusified. I remember when stuff like that was actually free.

I hate that its 4 different packages split up across the different stores. I wish it was 1 that they all got

Meh. I don't like the fact that the Insomniac Moon/Museum is being exclusified. I remember when stuff like that was actually free.

Agree with you 100%, especially coming from a UK gamer who likely won't see any of these packages. Bad Insomniac, this 1ups the gigawatt blades in infamous.

Knowing Insomniac Games, it will be free for download at the PSN store later on down the road. :cwink:

Just like the Malikov and Grim skins that were exclusive to pre-ordering Resistance 2 from Amazon.com and Best Buy.

Insomniac Games don't exploit their fans like other companies...they just have to do these for other companies who want exclusive deals. :woot:

Well it was confirmed today that the pre-order bonuses will be avalible to everyone eventually.

http://kotaku.com/5308708/sony-bringing-ratchet-clank--drake-to-comic+con

Ratchet & Clank Community Event (RSVP Required to Attend)
Wednesday, July 22
8:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Join G4 and Insomniac Games as they unveil the winner of the "Captain Qwark's My Blaster Runs Hot" weapons contest and present the winner with a real-life replica of the weapon they created. Stick
around after the unveiling for the hands-on premier of all new Clank gameplay.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time Panel and Q&A
Sunday, July 26
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Insomniac Games will be on hand to reveal behind-the-scenes stories about the development of this fall's PlayStation 3 blockbuster. Creative Director Brian Allgeier and other team members will reveal new scenes from the game, the latest trailer as well a new weapon feature.

Thought I'd post this for anyone who might be going to Comic-con and will be interested in this

Even if the Insomniac Moon is given as DLC, it still kills the mystery of it being secret. Part of its appeal is that it is one giant easter egg.

The new Ratchet and Clank trailer is awesome!

Last edited:
The PS3 exclusives are INSANE! I'm fast becoming a hardcore PS3 fanboy!

I need to buy Quest for Booty before this comes out huh?

Well if you watched the trailer, then you pretty much know all there was to find out in QfB.

That being that Neferious has Clank

...you're going to their offices?

Get a Ratchet poster signed for me dammit!!

Last edited:
I'll play for you to fly it over to england, we'll meet up in Manchester and reinact R1.

Here's the cover. Notice the new style of the box art.

3882394204_87d4698824.jpg

Also the US release date is official. October 27th.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ck-in-time-available-in-the-us-on-october-27/

Here's the back. The Blog removed it, possibly of what's at the top of the box.

crack_in_time_back.jpg

Multiplayer, lobbies, matchmaking, leaderboards, PlayStation Home integration and Trophies.

Multiplayer? Are they bringing back the same type of play from the PS2 games?

Update:

As cautioned earlier, that PS3 box art for the new Ratchet & Clank was based on a standard template and "not final," according to Insomniac. So don't expect to see a well hidden surprise multiplayer component in the final game, nor any of the other features listed in error.
"As we've said before, [Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time] is a single-player game, and has been planned as such from the very beginning," reads a statement. "We're totally focused on wrapping up the Ratchet & Clank Future story arc that we started in Tools of Destruction, and continued with Quest for Booty."

http://kotaku.com/5351343/insomniac-new-ratchet--clank-future-is-single+player

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"