THE FLASH RATE & REVIEW THREAD

Honestly, even if I didn't love it, I'm glad to see a lot of people do. My brother said he liked it as well, he said he just can't stand Ezra Miller as The Flash lol.

I think they gave a great performance, but they just never felt like Barry Allen to me.

SPOILERS

Ok, so obviously I liked it. THE FLASH is a good movie. If we're rating, maybe a 7.5ish? It’s not a great movie, but it does have moments of greatness in it, especially the familial stuff, and that does a lot to elevate it and differentiate it within the genre. The movie does pretty much nail the basics of the Flash mythos in a sort of Barry’s Terrible, Horrible No Good Very Bad Day way, gives a nod to some of the more obscure modern stuff (some of the more recent supporting cast) and manages to put a relevant and humorous twist on the staples of the mythology. They don’t dwell on the scientific specifics of The Flash and his world, which is kind of refreshing. They just sort of show you. For instance, you can just sort of visually tell that the new suit processes and refines his energy somehow, though no one says it (I think). The explanation about his metabolism is brief, but effective.

There’s been talk about how the movie devolves into a CGI fest in the third act, but I think it actually sort of does the opposite of that; in the traditional sense at least, and sort of subverts the third act pitfalls of the genre in doing so. That’s something few superhero/action movies have managed to do, avoid the third act letdown. There really isn’t a villain in the traditional sense. There are obstacles, but moreso, there’s a series of moral quandries and choices for the heroes, which gives them some agency in what would otherwise feel like a series of fairly contrived events. The final battle plays out on an endless loop of the bad guys winning, but it’s also sort of just the buildup to the actual conflict of the film, which is a lot more intimate. The two main characters literally RUN AWAY from the expected spectacle of the third act, and essentially spend the climax talking about the problem that the film has been exploring and building stakes to, with some fantastic emotional work throughout, and it’s done well enough that the movie somehow quietly picks back up and carries on strongly through the end instead of stumbling over the finish line.

I don’t know how I feel about The Flash’s decision to abandon the altered timeline, but it’s sort of implied that he knows he can undo everything by going back and undoing what he did in the first place, and the movie makes it more about his personal sacrifice than the threat to the world. So it’s at least thematically consistent, if morally gray.

Miller’s performance as Barry Allen (and Barry Allen) is very good, and quite unique. The critics who put disclaimers in their reviews dance around it but still seem to recognize it. The ones that didn’t are praising them, and rightly so. I don’t think their performance has been oversold at all. Whether or not you like their "twitchy" Barry, technically, it’s really impressive stuff. Beyond the fact that Ezra seems to be playing Barry as being not just socially awkward, but significantly so (which adds an additional dimension to many of the moments in the film) I don’t know if people appreciate the balancing act and craft involved in delivering that many lines at that speed and with any sort of timing, and the challenge of playing those rapid interchanges between two different versions of the same character. But at the same time, their truly emotional work remains measured, nuanced and understated. General audiences, if they go, would probably eat that part of it up. It’ll be interesting to see if word of mouth has any impact at all on the box office this next week. Doesn’t look like it, but I’d bet this movie will grow on people in time.

Affleck has limited screentime, but for perhaps the first time (Joss Whedon’s portrayal not included), his Batman shows his human, vulnerable side in terms of something other than fear and anger and intensity and master strategery. It’s admittedly not much, but if this was it for Affleck, then they picked a pretty solid few last moments to give him. It doesn’t feel weighty and overwrought here. It feels genuine. His take on Batman is honestly a little silly here, but it works, and the action is really good, inventive stuff. He’s not taking himself too seriously,but he still takes his job seriously. We finally see him, still wearied perhaps, but relaxed, with a sense of some acceptance. So that was nice to see.

Michael Keaton doesn’t have much to do emotionally, he never did, even in 89 and 92, but he connects wonderfully through the few intimate moments he is given to shine. And he’s still got it. His Batman is everything is needed to be and more. How many supporting characters have we been able to say that about lately? It felt like an advanced BATMAN FOREVER take, right down to the gadgets. He’s lighter on his feet, he’s lighter in terms of his emotions, and feels like a reasonably whole person VS the damaged, somewhat stunted individual of the Burton films. There are little moments that ring true, like Batman trying to intimidate an old scientist, failing, and resorting to gadgets. And what gadget work in general.

I like the story in general. It’s plotted pretty well, if a bit predictably until the third act, and I think I read the details years ago, but the movie still has some surprises in its execution. The script itself is quite clever. It really is. It’s not brilliant, but it’s clever in the way it addresses his powers, his relation to the world around him, and the way it simultaneously humanizes and humorizes those elements. There’s some sense of reverence for the character and his world, but also an understanding that the movie also has to entertain with those basic, “tried and true” elements and push them a little bit, even into comedic territories. I do wish we’d seen a little more from Iris, as Kiersey Clemons was charming and solid in her limited role, and there were times I wish he’d taken her along with him somehow into time.

Muschietti did excellent work here. The performances are spot on and the film is paced quite well, even moment to moment, which is a feat considering how choppy and frenetic things can get in a given exchange of dialogue or action sequence. The characters are given time to breathe, and key moments land and are appropriately lingered on. The end of every emotional moment isn’t punctuated by a stupid one liner. Action sequences have a clear geography, and are visually stunning at times and just…fun. The Justice League sequence should feel forced as heck, but it somehow doesn’t.

I can see why James Gunn said what he said about the movie, because I do think this is right up his alley. It’s funny, a little irreverent, and it’s in the service of the characters and their potential instead of expectations of the genre. The hiring of Muschietti for Brave And The Bold suggests that they won’t stray too far from this particular tone. And unless you’re Snyder or bust (which even Snyder wasn’t), that’s mostly a good thing, because he all but mastered the tonal shifts and struck a very nice balance overall. It’s the comic book come to life of Zack Snyder and Avenger's-era Joss Whedon, but with a more compassionate, genuine, wry humanity to anchor its characters in. He truly has a knack for the ensemble pic, and I can’t wait to see what he does with Batman and DC’s world next, assuming he’s still attached.

The action was inventive, fast-paced and satisfying, and felt uniquely tailored to each character’s strengths or weaknesses. The score was fairly effective, and I need to dive into that a bit more. Special effects were pretty well done. They managed to make effects visually striking without being repetitive, which when your character basically trails lightning is not an easy task. CGI is visible in places, but mostly fine. There are beautiful moments and ugly moments, and a clear approach in the speed force and multiversal moments VS the grittier real world stuff. It generally works very well. I went back and looked at the Flash sequences from the Snyderverse, and the CGI has a similar approach. Distorted and blurred, and oddly lit.

We don’t get the Snyder Justice League assembling at the end of the movie, but the movie does enough to show the state of things that if this is the end of the DCEU, we’re still left with the sense that things both will and won’t be business as usual, with the League protecting the universe in some timeline, helping each other out, and even hanging out. But now there are all kinds of possibilities, and the one at the end of the movie is hilarious, in a middle finger to the audience sort of way. Also, are they implying that The Flash has once again lost his powers?

Is it one of the greatest comic book movies of all time? No, but it features one of the better performances, and it’s certainly not mediocre. This isn’t the end of the DC(E)U, either. It’s a transition point. That’s pretty much what multiverse scenes are about. Honoring the past. Legitimizing other versions of characters. Looking to the future. They can go pretty much anywhere from here. Combine whatever versions of characters they want from a given timeline for future films or events. It’s gimmicky, but they did it with a fairly light touch here and didn’t belabor the point, and it could work. I do hope to see The Flash recognize the changes to the universe/s if he shows up again.

Looking at the box office thus far, it looks like a sequel is doubtful, and it feels like the future will have smaller budgets. And probably new actors. There are rumblings that there is a Rogues film in development for Gunn’s Earth-Whatever universe. Hopefully we see the Flash some other time.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing much of the reaction I didn't know how I was going to react to this movie, but I liked The Flash. While Ezra's sort of skittish take on Barry Allen isn't how I view the character, Ezra did well enough for this version. Keaton rocked, and Sasha did well for the small amount she was in the film. The overall story was fine and pretty straightforward. Some of the comedy worked but definitely could've been pulled back in a lot of areas. The "antagonist" of the film worked even though I wish we could've gotten some actual Flash villains.
The CGI, particularly the Speed Force stuff, could've used a ton of work, but not all of it was as dreadful as some made it out to be; with that said there were moments that didn't need CG at all and could've just used the actual actor(s) or previous footage.

Overall I liked The Flash more than the last few DCEU films and probably all of the latest phase of Marvel flicks, but I'm glad the DCEU is ending and getting rebooted. I just wish it was a hard reboot and discontinued everything ( Peacemaker, Waller, Etc.)

The Flash is the best film in the genre! It had twists and turns I loved every minute of it. The post-credit scene was good Michael Keaton is the best Batman ever! You'd think he played Batman every year since 1989 nonstop because his performance was outstanding. It will have a good time at the Saturn Awards! Everyone got perfectly cast. It wasn't like the CW show. Ezra is a better Flash than Grant. They didn't have cw level of cringe dialogue to work with, and they didn't need motivation every time they did something from some big speech from his buddies from the star lab

Last edited by a moderator:
Keaton absolutely crushes it in this. It's wild to think it's been 30+ years since he debuted the character, but is STILL Bruce Wayne and kicks even more ass than he got to in the old films. The best part is they didn't hide him vs. the Kryptonians. I absolutely detest copycat female derivatives of major CB characters, but Sasha Calle works for me, especially that moment where she screams to Zod "WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!?" I legitimately felt that. I would rather see her than Cavill or any other new Superman at this point.
Why?

Alright, let's do this again: please remember Ezra Miller uses they/them, it, or zir pronouns and is non-binary. Not he/him, not a "big boy."

I know you're calling me out specifically, but respectfully you're some stranger on the internet and we're NOT having this conversation.

You're also not Ezra and I said what I said. E-Z-R-A will be fine.

I never expected any no-way-home numbers. But Michael Keaton's Batman is very popular so is Ben Affleck's Batman. Was it ezra miller's situation? Or the competition? Or the James Gunn reboot? In the movie theater, fans and casual moviegoers alike enjoyed it. But I look at the only positives the flash will close at $350 million worldwide, and it is higher than Batman's Returns, so Micheal Keaton did his job. The marketing was on him. It will fall below Batman 1989 but higher than Batman Returns. It's a great film. I understand people checked out when Gunn announced his reboot, but this is better than the dark knight trilogy, and I'm not shocked Ezra Miller's legal troubles hurt this film. But they are good at it, the acting in this film was excellent people missed out on a great movie but in a few weeks it will be on Vudu. I'm buying it. I wish I owned the theater. I'd take the movie home with me and watch it again! That's how good it is.

I never expected any no-way-home numbers. But Michael Keaton's Batman is very popular so is Ben Affleck's Batman. Was it ezra miller's situation? Or the competition? Or the James Gunn reboot? In the movie theater, fans and casual moviegoers alike enjoyed it. But I look at the only positives the flash will close at $350 million worldwide, and it is higher than Batman's Returns, so Micheal Keaton did his job. The marketing was on him. It will fall below Batman 1989 but higher than Batman Returns. It's a great film. I understand people checked out when Gunn announced his reboot, but this is better than the dark knight trilogy, and I'm not shocked Ezra Miller's legal troubles hurt this film. But they are good at it, the acting in this film was excellent people missed out on a great movie but in a few weeks it will be on Vudu. I'm buying it. I wish I owned the theater. I'd take the movie home with me and watch it again! That's how good it is.
It will not get to 350m WW.

Also did you just compare the box office of a 2023 movie with one 30 years old? Inflation makes that an issue.

The decision to have Eric Stoltz play Marty McFly in that universe's Back to the Future franchise. Freaking brilliant!
which btw Barry loses a notch off thier nerd-card for not knowing the Stoltz connection with BTTF lol ( I know that maybe didn't happen in that universe ) but still

6.5 out of 10

Coming out after Across the Spiderverse really hurt this movie, since they're both very similar, and even with similar running times Act 2 still felt very truncated (Michael Keaton doesn't want to help initially then decides to do so anyway, Supergirl despises humanity but one talk with Main!Barry leads to her deciding to help). The dual Barry act can be hard to deal with since Alternate!Barry is deliberately made immature and grating in contrast to Main!Barry. However, the movie does have a solid emotional core of Barry wanting to get his family back and the last part of the movie leading up to Main!Barry deciding to make the conscious decision to have his mom die was well done, if undermined by the fact that he still decided to make a slight alteration anyway just so that he gets evidence to help out his dad. Honestly, this would've been better off as a straight up Flash movie - this was more of a general DC movie that centers around Flash (somewhat similar to Civil War being a sort of Avengers movie centering around Captain America). Of course, whether a standard solo film revolving around Ezra Miller's Flash who has only appeared in a supporting role in the Justice Leagues and 2 cameo appearances would sell is an entirely different story...

A few random thoughts:
-The Snydercut is supposed to be the canon version to the Flash right? So Barry is re-discovering that he can travel back in time to undo things?

-Ezra Miller's laugh for Alternate!Barry sounds like that fish character from Spongebob.

-I am generally lenient on the CGI debate, and can see that they deliberately made everyone in the Chronobowl CGI... but why couldn't they make their actual flesh and blood actors/actresses simply do different things physically for all the different outcomes in the Chronobowl? Not to mention, stock footage of things like Barry's initial encounter with Bruce and Clark are also CGI'ed. Alternate!Barry also occasionally had moments where it's clear they CGI'ed Ezra's face onto the double.

-Ben Affleck's talk with Ezra and "I need you here NOW, Barry" was the most Bruce Wayne he's ever felt to me.

-Michael Keaton was a total badass, even if it means him moving and fighting in ways he never did from the Burton films... but personal subjectivity aside, he did feel like an action figure. He was mostly there to do some cool stuff since this amalgamated universe version of him and the DCEU Batman already reached inner peace with Gotham no longer dealing with crime, so he already had closure a long time ago. There's no real story for this Batman.

-I did like Supergirl even though she undergone a very quick character arc and wouldn't mind seeing her again (probably more likely than Michael Keaton's Batman)

-Though Main!Barry doesn't explicitly had a no-kill code, I wonder if he had anything to say about Alternate!Barry killing Faora

-Did anyone think that the alternate universe always having a terrible outcome and Main!Barry deciding to let it go because he can't fix it no matter what he does was a subtle metaphor for the DCEU?

Barry's motivation for screwing with time and the multiverse was very believable.

We can all relate to how he felt about his mom and what she meant to him. It's a very human story.

Also, Maribel Verdú was excellent as Nora Allen. She was so good! :hrt:

It will not get to 350m WW.

Also did you just compare the box office of a 2023 movie with one 30 years old? Inflation makes that an issue.

I comprehend inflation and stuff like that. But Michael Keaton did his job he's the biggest star in the film he sold tickets. I'm trying to be optimistic about this. The opening weekend was the highest for Keaton's Batman. It was supposed to be higher at one point. It tracked at $140, then down to $70 million, then it opened to $55.1 million james gunn made a mistake announcing the reboot. The casuals went to watch Spider-Man or Transformers. It's a shame because of this film. On paper should have run away with the summer, and Ezra got help and stayed out of trouble. Everyone on Superherohype waited our whole lives for a flash movie. We finally get the flick, it's a great time, and nobody shows up because the higher-ups torpedoed this. It was dead on arrival. WB expected Man of Steel to be a billion-dollar film, but this film should have had no problem reaching one billion. We got multiple Batman and much more!

$55.1 million 2023
$46.6 million 1992
$40.49 million 1989

I comprehend inflation and stuff like that. But Michael Keaton did his job he's the biggest star in the film he sold tickets. I'm trying to be optimistic about this. The opening weekend was the highest for Keaton's Batman. It was supposed to be higher at one point. It tracked at $140, then down to $70 million, then it opened to $55.1 million james gunn made a mistake announcing the reboot. The casuals went to watch Spider-Man or Transformers. It's a shame because of this film. On paper should have run away with the summer, and Ezra got help and stayed out of trouble. Everyone on Superherohype waited our whole lives for a flash movie. We finally get the flick, it's a great time, and nobody shows up because the higher-ups torpedoed this. It was dead on arrival. WB expected Man of Steel to be a billion-dollar film, but this film should have had no problem reaching one billion. We got multiple Batman and much more!

$55.1 million 2023
$46.6 million 1992
$40.49 million 1989
If you understand inflation, you should understand it makes no sense to compare the OW of movies three decades apart.

This wasn't a Batman movie. It was a Flash one. And while I can see you enjoyed it, I thought it was terrible and general audiences seem to agree. Because it has a terrible Cinemascore and it's legs are already dead.

If you understand inflation, you should understand it makes no sense to compare the OW of movies three decades apart.

This wasn't a Batman movie. It was a Flash one. And while I can see you enjoyed it, I thought it was terrible and general audiences seem to agree. Because it has a terrible Cinemascore and it's legs are already dead.

First, It's disingenuous to say people don't like the film when. It's gotten great word of mouth. Your sources didn't poll my theater on the film. The Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score is high. I pay higher ticket prices. Secondly, I remember paying for a ticket eight bucks. Now it's almost twenty dollars. My theater wasn't a sellout like it was for people in 2008 or 1989. The movie has no legs because James Gunn killed them by announcing his reboot people paid to see Michael Keaton! That's a fact, everyone. In attendance were wearing Keaton-themed merch to see the film. All the marketing was on the Batman actors, primarily Keaton. It's a flash film but had no grant gustin. The marketing treated this like Batman 3! I got my money's worth. If You didn't like the movie? That's your opinion.

First, It's disingenuous to say people don't like the film when. It's gotten great word of mouth. Your sources didn't poll my theater on the film. The Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score is high. I pay higher ticket prices. Secondly, I remember paying for a ticket eight bucks. Now it's almost twenty dollars. My theater wasn't a sellout like it was for people in 2008 or 1989. The movie has no legs because James Gunn killed them by announcing his reboot people paid to see Michael Keaton! That's a fact, everyone. In attendance were wearing Keaton-themed merch to see the film. All the marketing was on the Batman actors, primarily Keaton. It's a flash film but had no grant gustin. The marketing treated this like Batman 3! I got my money's worth. If You didn't like the movie? That's your opinion.
How many theaters have you polled?

Yes, tickets costing more is why you can't compare the BO.

If the movie had great WOM, James Gunn's words wouldn't matter.

How many theaters have you polled?

Yes, tickets costing more is why you can't compare the BO.

If the movie had great WOM, James Gunn's words wouldn't matter.

The question should be. Why doesn't CinemaScore survey every theater? If they polled every person who watched the film.Nationwide in the multiplex? It would get an A James Gunn split the fandom by firing Henry and announcing reboot tickets sold out in five minutes for the Snyder trilogy in April, but he refused to sell it to Netflix. The Flash should have been the top gun maverick film of summer 2023. If The Flash wasn't excellent, Andy and Barbara Muschietti wouldn't be making Batman The Brave and the Bold, would they?

The question should be. Why doesn't CinemaScore survey every theater? If they polled every person who watched the film.Nationwide in the multiplex? It would get an A James Gunn split the fandom by firing Henry and announcing reboot tickets sold out in five minutes for the Snyder trilogy in April, but he refused to sell it to Netflix. The Flash should have been the top gun maverick film of summer 2023. If The Flash wasn't excellent, Andy and Barbara Muschietti wouldn't be making Batman The Brave and the Bold, would they?
Beyond the cost associated with polling every single theater, how do you expect that the score would of been different when the lack of first weekend/week legs have shown completely toxic WOM?

If they thought it was excellent, why is the series already dead?

7/10 for me. It was entertaining in parts, but unfortunately Ezra Miller kinda brought it down for me - just not the characterization of Flash (regardless of whether that's Barry Allen or one of the other Flash characters) that I'd like to see in a Flash movie. Granted that's been my complaint ever since Miller's first appearance in Justice League though.

Keaton's Batman elevated this from what would've been probably a 5/10 for me without him. Dang did he deliver, even if it was unrealistic to see his Batman do so much physical fighting at his age. And the new Supergirl was also surprisingly good, wouldn't mind seeing her again in another movie.

I went into this largely unspoiled so it was cool to see some of the cameos that I hadn't heard about. The last one at the end could've had more impact though:
George Clooney just felt out of place here, and I feel like either Robert Pattinson or Christian Bale would've had more impact, especially Bale.

As unlikely as it might be to get another Flash movie considering the box office, would love to see a proper Flash-oriented movie with a recast and proper Flash characterization (whether that's Barry Allen or Wally West), and actual Flash rogues like Captain Cold or Boomerang or Reverse Flash. Hope that can happen one day!

Well this felt like a mess.

I had lost most of my interest in seeing this thing. For one, I have no real interest in either Matt Reeves Batman movies or yet another reebot by James Gunn.

I really loved the DCEU trinity , and "Black Adam" gave me a little hope that they would bring Cavill back. Well that went away really fast .

Also, seeing videos of what Ezra Miller did at various nightclubs and while getting arrested + the list of accusations against the actor, I kind of had completely lost interest.

Well my GF wanted to see this, and I often get free movie tickets /half price deals etc from job related things, so we saw this yesterday.

There are things I like. I liked the Justice League styled intro. It was great to see them again. I love Ben Affleck in the role, and I like Jeremy Irons. I thought that gave the film a fun start. Even if the CGI was a bit iffy already early in the film.

I like the colors of the Affleck Batsuit here, even if it sits a bit awkward. Its like they never made the suit look any better than in BvS.

I liked that it was kind of implied that there might have been a relationship/some flirting between Batfleck and the female character that shows up to save the day in that sequence. Its something I liked from the comics and animated shows. The quite human interaction between Bruce and Barry was nice too.

All the time travel stuff felt like a mess. Even with their explanations with spagetti. Damn I hate food scenes and food humour in movies. This movie has plenty of it. Felt like that was a Christina Hodson thing, I can just imagine all the various food scenes in the cancelled Batgirl movie.

"Young Barry" is extremely punchable, I know that its the point, but its rather funny to see Young-Barry and his punchable friends. Everyone in that crew is so annoying that you kind of start to like
regular Barry more. That probably was the point.

Its also funny that for example none of the Batmen in the film dont even bring up anything about who actually might have killed Barrys mother. Thats kind of the issue that both the TV show and this movie deals with same stories and storylines, but it still comes across odd. They could even have made the films last surprise character they something like "Barry , get your head in gear, I have evidence of who killed your mother" instead of making the cameo just a useless visual gag.

The director can come out and say "Yes it will be adressed in the sequel" but that doesnt really cut it, and most likely there wont be a sequel.

Seeing Michael Keaton as Batman is fun nostalgia. I liked those movies as a kid, then started complaining about them as a teenager when I read the comics, later I loved the Nolan trilogy, and after those movies I can enjoy B89 as a cool elseworlds. So it was fun to see him, and Michael Keaton is good in this. The fact that they did not show any short clip/shot of how Gotham looked in this timeline was beyond lame. They got the other nostalgia stuff down nice, but it needed a cool clear shot of Gotham.

I didnt particulary care about him being a "old drunk hobo weirdo" since we have seen old male heroes comeback like that a million times in movies. even once in a Batman movie before. Also it feels lazy. It might have been too much fanservice if they had Michelle Pfeiffer in this film and had her to be married to Bruce Wayne. But at least that would have given it more stakes. Like Bruce risking his life to save the world, even if he is happily married.

Keatons suit looked better in the film than in stills. It still looks **** in the stills. Its funny how the mind works, the trailers just made it feel odd that he moved so fast, since you were used to how slow it looked in the old movies. I enjoyed seeing him here. I love the gadgets and how he weighs and measures things :).

Also extra points for the few times Keaton-Batman punches Ezra. That was a highlight.

Ezra's performances as Barry has always been a issue with me. This take on Barry can be OK when he is played more seriously. There are scenes that I really like here. But some of the awkward zany stuff just isnt funny. Its annoying.

I am fan of Supergirl in the comics. And this Sasha Calle version is obviously a different version. I dont like it as much as I like the version from the comics. Not her fault really, this character isnt bad, and I still managed to like her. But I would have wished for more scenes with her. Maybe a short but meaningfull scene between her and Batman for example?

I like Shannon as Zod. But here he is kind of tired hungover Zod who just repeats **** he has said before in different realities. I completely get what the actor said about "Actionfigures" etc.

Cinematography is ok for the most part. Yes the CGI at times is absolute dog ****. Again, I dont care if the director comes out and says it was on purpose, its for me just as annoying as **** to watch modern CG mixed with stuff that looks like Polar Express mixed with old videogames.

I am sure they asked the families of actors showed in the cameos, but man some of them look rough (yes yes on purpose) since their own timetravel rules are odd, it would have been cool if Barry going back in time, it would have altered the timeline for a second that these alternate versions would actually been fighting Zod for a second or something. But instead it was just these quick CGI cosmic **** things.

The fact that they changed the ending several times also gives this a unfocused feel at times. Its just a bit odd with the last of what you see of Keaton and Calle.

This probably wasnt a easy gig for Muschietti ,but I have a feeling that he might not direct either new DCU moveis or a Flash sequel...

Also WB and their own efforts to hype this was creative. Having people like Stephen King (who knows Muschietti well) and Tom Cruise quotes about how good the film is and stuff.

Anyway, wasnt a complete waste of time, but it wasnt good either.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. More humour than I expected/wanted - but I did find myself laughing out loud more than once. All lead performances were great. Ezra Miller did a fine job of handling both comedy and pathos. Michael Keaton slipped back into Bat-mode effortlessly - and absolutely rocked. Ben Affleck gave us his best Batman and Bruce Wayne yet. Sasha Calle, wow. I was seriously impressed. Considering the limited screentime and dialogue she had, she really pulled you in and made you feel for her. I'm an unashamed supporter of blonde-haired, blue-eyed Kara; but I would be more than happy to see Calle's Supergirl return at some point.

I was less impressed with Michael Shannon's Zod and Antje Traue's Faora. They were my favourite characters/performances in Man of Steel, but here Shannon just seemed bored, and I wasn't even sure it was Traue; I wondered if they'd got another actress and CGI'd her face. And she had maybe one line of dialogue? A waste of both actress and character. Still, Ron Livingstone was fine as Henry Allen, Maribel Verdu was excellent as Nora, and their family dynamic with Miller and with Ian Loh as young Barry worked well.

Multiverse-type stories have to walk a fine line to have any dramatic weight; on the one hand exploit the concept for all its worth, whilst on the other make sure the stakes are still high. For me this did it. There were some great emotional moments; Barry remembering his childhood, Bruce's conversation with Barry about bringing back his parents, Barry's goodbye to his mum, and...

Keaton's dying words, on Barry bringing him back as Batman.

The Justice League moments near the beginning were better than the entire 2017 movie.

I like that we later discovered...

Barry was also at ground zero during the 'Black Zero' event in 2013.

It was great to hear Elfman's Batman '89 theme so prominently.

It was a crime the we never got to see Keaton's Batmobile in action!

The CGI... Yes, it was poor in places, specifically the baby shower and inside the speedforce seeing the different timelines. Otherwise there was nothing that really jarred.

I generally liked the cameos of past DC hero incarnations...

I'm not a Superman fan but I am a Helen Slater/Supergirl fan, and it did bring a lump to the throat seeing her finally standing shoulder to shoulder with Christopher Reeve. Also nice to see George Reeves, and especially Adam West (RIP legends). But Nic Cage's 'Superman and the spider' did nothing for me, and how can you not have Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman?

As for...

George Clooney's appearance at the end, fair play to the man for stepping up! He's spent enough years taking it on the chin and apologising for Batman & Robin - maybe this'll help him (and fans!) move on!

Btw, 2013 was the year that gave us Man of Steel and the animated Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox movie! Kinda feels... right.

Best CBM ever, no. But it's far from the worst.

Worth seeing for Keaton alone. The rest is a welcome bonus. 7/5/10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"