Rate the first trailer for CAPTAIN MARVEL!

Brie Larson certainly feel that way :p

HeqQSiv.jpg
I wonder how easy it would be to cherry pick quote unquote blank expressions from every male lead Marvel solo first trailer...

Probably pretty easy.

8/10 for me.
Marvel has set their own bar so high at this point (e.g. Ragnarok, Avengers 3, etc) that even a good trailer like this is going to seem a bit underwhelming. Those other recent trailers have a HUGE advantage of having well established characters to build around (Black Panther also had an advantage as well since he was introduced to us in Civil War). We already know what those characters/actors facial expressions and mannerisms so we don't nit pick them as much. Some other posters mentioned that it is actually quite good for a first trailer for a character. I agree.
Most of the shots of Brie are from situations where she is under some sort of stress thus leading to a similar facial expression. She does crack a nice smile when she is in the car with Fury and when she is walking out onto the tarmac with Rambeau. She has a total of 35 words of dialog in the trailer. Very small sample size to make any sort of accurate judgement on her performance. I like the way she delivers the "I'm not what you think I am." line at the end of the trailer.

I wonder how easy it would be to cherry pick quote unquote blank expressions from every male lead Marvel solo first trailer...

Probably pretty easy.

That's exactly what I was thinking
I'm not usually one to shout "sexism!" about things, but if you go through every trailer for every CBM ever, I doubt you'll see much more variety in facial expressions. Maybe an ugly grimace from Tobey McGuire, maybe some smiles from Hemsworth in the Ragnarok trailer, maybe a strained look on Cap's face while pulling a helicopter.... but otherwise, the majority of Superhero trailer shots involve scowling. But Brie does it, and oh "she got that rbf" or she gets called Bore Larson or some s**t

But you know what, maybe it's not all sexism, because Gal Gadot didn't show a huge range of faces in her trailer either, and nobody said a word... DC fans be trollin

Probably pretty easy.

I didnt do it, just found it online and thought it was funny, but i dont think they were cherry picked, those are pretty much every single shot of her during the trailer, minus the one where she's smiling.

And it just a teaser trailer, i dont think there's need to concern. But WOW, are ppl already calling the "gender card" 'cause someone else didn't like the trailer that much?

I rate it a 9. Got me excited for the movie and left me wanting more

But you know what, maybe it's not all sexism, because Gal Gadot didn't show a huge range of faces in her trailer either, and nobody said a word... DC fans be trollin
That's not true, a lot of people were very skeptical of Gadot before they saw the movie. Heck, I remember that when the first trailer for WW dropped, many even started claiming that WB was hiding her performance because it was bad.

The difference is that Gadot *is* a limited actress. Larson is not, and the fact that so many people are now even questioning it is a huge failure on Marvel's part.

Last edited:

Probably pretty easy.

After re-watching the Ironman, Captain America and Thor Trailers, not as easy as you'd expect. You'd have more luck with the MoS and BvS Trailers.

I think what some continue to understate is that there is a certain "physicality" that needs to be exuded in these roles. Many of us are just not getting that from this limited exposure of Brie's character in the teaser.

Man, I wish I hadn't been keeping up with the news for this project because once I played the trailer, I was scared for her within the very first seconds of the darned thing!

For a first trailer I thought it was good so, 9 out of 10. It tells you a very short story too, about falling constantly, but always getting right back up. I like that and the fact that it's the very first female Marvel film.

Second trailer better be a BLAST. Shoot for 11!!!

That's not true, a lot of people were very skeptical of Gadot before they saw the movie. Heck, I remember that when the first trailer for WW dropped, many even started claiming that WB was hiding her performance because it was bad.

The difference is that Gadot *is* a limited actress. Larson is not, and the fact that so many people are now even questioning it is a huge failure on Marvel's part.

Ahh yeah, that's true, I almost forgot
Sexism it is then, lol

Where have you been? People still say that about Gadot even after the film. Hardly exclusive to Larson. Heck, even the comic based shows get it as well, like all of what Finn Jones got and still gets for how emotionless he can appear to be in Iron Fist compared to the other leads.

And I say this as soon as you respond. So...never mind.

Where have you been? People still say that about Gadot even after the film. Hardly exclusive to Larson. Heck, even the comic based shows get it as well, like all of what Finn Jones got and still gets for how emotionless he can appear to be in Iron Fist compared to the other leads.

And I say this as soon as you respond. So...never mind.
lol no worries

And in fairness, Finn Jones does only have like, 3 emotions: Bratty and indignant, mopey, or smug and cocky
and I say this as someone who liked IF

Pretty good, 7.5 - 8 for me. Looking forward to a full trailer with a little bit more action and info.

Gave this a 7 ....cos its the first trailer (or is it just a teaser) so being lenient. I hope the next one shows Cap marvel battling the villains (and showcasing her power level). That will boost more interest to this movie.

This teaser pleased my expectations. It covered most everything I wanted to see. It very much looks like this is going to be the movie fans didn't get in Green Lantern. Loved seeing the Kree in their classic helmets, including Larson.

I gave it a 5/10. If they wanted to date the movie they should have gone with 90's music. Was Blockbusters even a thing outside the USA? I only know it because it was in old tv shows/movies but I couldn't tell what era specifically (I'm not American). Music is universal however. I only know this takes place in the 90's because I read about it. I know there is a reason (I hope) for why Brie looks like she doesn't want to be there or bored but they could have used a scene or two more showing she has an actual personality. And her voice is very weak. I thought she was supposed to be this strong presence, a fighter but her voice doesn't reflect that at all. And it all looks very low budget and made on the CW (I know, I know...movie just finished shooting).

I gave it a 5/10. If they wanted to date the movie they should have gone with 90's music. Was Blockbusters even a thing outside the USA? I only know it because it was in old tv shows/movies but I couldn't tell what era specifically (I'm not American). Music is universal however. I only know this takes place in the 90's because I read about it. I know there is a reason (I hope) for why Brie looks like she doesn't want to be there or bored but they could have used a scene or two more showing she has an actual personality. And her voice is very weak. I thought she was supposed to be this strong presence, a fighter but her voice doesn't reflect that at all. And it all looks very low budget and made on the CW (I know, I know...movie just finished shooting).
Don't know about worldwide but it was a big thing here (UK).

Something I saw in a reaction/analysis video about the choice of score music over 90s music was that they thought Marvel was possibly trying to make it stand out a bit from other action films and even some of the other MCU movies that used pop songs to hook people in via nostalgia or catchiness.

Do we know how many MCU movies Brie Larson is contracted for?

Eh, not going to lie, I went into watching this trailer with a strong dislike for Brie Larson, and well, it never let up, She's boring, not charismatic and I just don't feel she is a good fit for a superhero role. Last time I felt like this was with Edward Norton taking on Hulk, and I was so disgusted with the thought, I skipped the film altogether, and judging by the box office, I wasn't the only one.

I love Samuel L Jackson, but even he can't help me look past how terribly miscast Larson is. I just wished they picked a more suitable actress. They already have Rachel McAdams and Rosario Dawson on their payroll, too bad they didn't use one of them for Captain Marvel. I believe they would have had the presence to pull off the character nicely. I gave the trailer a 1, because it was just so boring and had nothing interesting or epic feeling in my opinion. Maybe if they had it come off as a straight up comedy like they did with GOTG, perhaps it would have been more enticing, but it simply wasn't the case.

Blockbuster did exist outside the USA. It was in the UK.

And I agree she looked bored and her voice sounded weak. Yes, I get she might be trying to appear more vulnerable because of amnesia, but couldn't they have presented her with the same confidence and bravado that they show their male characters with when they show their trailers? Why decide to do it like this now for their first female character movie? Maybe save that sort of thing for when they've had a few more female heroes under their belt.

Last edited:
I’m glad they didn’t use a 90s song. It wouldn’t have gone with the tone they wanted and would have made it seem more comedic (which the final product might be). It’s obvious they are leaning into this as their Wonder Woman so want it to be taken seriously.

I want to revise my original rating. I give this 9/10 because days later, I'm still thinking about it and now I'm super pumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"