Ratings

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by triplet, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Registered

You know what's interesting, and I don't want to appear to be trolling, but alot of the complaints on the SR forum is what they state will be lacking in the new film, and yet the things Superman fans want to see is exactly what we are getting in Smallville this year: More villians - Brainiac, the Kryptonian villans, and of course Lex. Special effects and hopefully, some new powers. We'll see Aquaman, which should be fun. We'll see the FOS finally. I can't wait to see how that fortress builds itself!

Maybe that will help lure in additional Superman fans, perhaps those that have not yet discovered Smallville (is that possible?)

2. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

The Smallville fans have been complaining about the same things, btw.

So, Millar and Gough are obviously listening to what fans want and some people still aren't happy.

(I was just over on the planet, btw... [​IMG])

Yikes.

Let's just say I'm glad to stay over here most of the time.. ;) :up:

3. The Incredible Hulk Bad Hombre

Normally I dont like to lower myself to the level of some of the mental midgets over there, but that one particular one who has what we call "diarhea of the mouth" needed to be put in his place. Plus sometimes it's fun just to argue ;)

4. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

Apparently, such laments haven't gone unnoticed, and certain mild-mannered individuals with clear goals who are also lucky enough to be in decision-making positions have adjusted various story and character elements in an effort to move things along, and maybe convert a few non-believers in the process.

<-- Loves run-on sentences.

;)

5. avidreader Registered

Are you referring to our boy? :rolleyes:

6. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Here's a rundown on one media outlet's thinking on the competition on thursdays at 8/7 Central:

THE MUST-SEE SMACKDOWN

"Alias" (ABC), "Everybody Hates Chris" (UPN), "The O.C." (Fox), "Will & Grace" (NBC)

The Time: Thursdays at 8 p.m.

The Contenders: "Alias" (ABC); "Survivor: Guatemala" (CBS); "Joey" and "Will & Grace" (NBC); "The O.C." (Fox); "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Eve" (UPN); "Smallville" (WB).

The Media Melee: With "Joey" flailing and "Will & Grace" wheezing into its last season, competition for NBC's must-see cachet is ferocious. The safe money is on the mighty "Survivor" franchise, but Chris Rock's brash "Everybody Hates Chris" could deliver big laughs and stiff competition, while Jennifer Garner's real-life pregnancy could inspire the tabloid rubberneckers to join the faithful for their weekly "Alias" drool-fest. The bloom is off the "O.C." beauties, which could mean more fresh eyeballs for "Smallville."

Viewing Strategy: Multitaskers can record "Alias," watch "Everybody Hates Chris" and skip over to "Survivor" in time for elimination campfire. Superman needs all the ratings' help he can get, so anyone on the "Smallville"/ "O.C." fence should watch the former and tape the latter. The rest of us can read the Television Without Pity recaps. Everyone can skip "Joey" and "Will & Grace."

7. avidreader Registered

Whoever wrote that doesnt really seem to know what he wants to watch other than not watching Joey & Will & Grace. Weird!

8. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

I'm thinking the writer doesn't know what to think...

The ball is totally up in the air on that timeslot, aside from Survivor winning the slot there are no givens there.

9. avidreader Registered

I wouldnt be surprised to see some viewers getting a little bored with Survivor too. I saw an article from one critique who called it a snorathon.

10. Super_Ludacris Registered

Thing is, the OC seems to be more accessible to a mainstream audience (in comparison to Smallville, which is kinda mainstream but people have fell off it) . It's weird how SV gets 5 million per week to watch the show but it's not talked about like the OC. Plus the soap opera angle has worked with the OC and with them being more draker this season that could gravitate more viewers to the California and not Kansas

11. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Last season was kinda boring, I will stop watching it if there are no good people on it.

I think that was the main problem with last season... it was like no one was engaging on the show, except for the guy who ended up winning, I didn't really like any of them. I only watched it mostly out of habit, I didn't really care who won last time out.

12. avidreader Registered

I cant believe you watch Reality TV.:eek:

13. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

LOL!

Why is that so hard to believe?

When it's good, it can be great....

I mean the Survivor with the All-Stars, the one right before that with Rupert, and the one from Australia were all great....

It can be a facinating people study. As a writer, I find that intriguing even though I know a lot of that conflict is contrived and even down right made up thanks to creative editing.... They know how to make use of the Kuleshov effect and do they ever. (Okay, showing off the film school education... ;) )

Actually, some of the best reality TV was last year's Project Greenlight. Man, that was reality TV at its best.

It took a total introverted geek of a director with zero self esteem and turned him into a confident film artist who, by the end of the film shoot, took control of the film and was making decisions with confidence.

It was phucking brilliant...

And the film looks to be good too, unlike the previous two. (Anyone seen Stolen Summer or The Battle of Shaker Heights? 'Nuff said. ;) )

Too bad that there may never be another Project Greenlight. Bravo and Miramax were cool on reviving the franchise and exec producer Chris Moore decided to move onto directing and left the prodco he helped form that produced the show (Liveplanet).....

14. Max Registered

Well, the OC brought in about 7 million viewers on Thursday, down 12-13%, which according to the critic was surprising since it was up against repeats on WB, UPN, and the other channels.

I'm curious to see how "Everyone Hates Chris" does next week. That's the real determining factor. Although, alot of people are anticipating the Smallville premiere. We'll have to wait and see.

15. avidreader Registered

Was that a new episode?

I dunno. I just thought with you being that "wannabe writer" that you wouldnt be interested in something like that.

Well okay, now I understand. ;)

Missed that one. Anything that is reality TV turns me off right away. I cant understand why we need to watch other people living every day lives, when we do that ourselves. When I watch TV I want to escape and get lost in the unreality of it all.

Just personal tastes I guess.

ah....nope.

My brother-in-laws daughter was on the latest version of Australia's Big Brother. Last I heard she was doing really well. Must email my sister and find out what the outcome was.

16. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

I used to watch an internet radio station that was based in Sidney, the Basement.com.au, and they would always talk about Big Brother... (it stopped streaming about two or three years ago..)

Is that more of a phenonmena down there than it is up here? I think we have too many reality TV shows and our market is saturated...

17. avidreader Registered

HUGE, HUGE! especially among 12 to 25 year olds. Its on every night at 7.00, with explicit airing at 9.30. Then on Sunday nights they do their evictions and have an on the couch session.

Fortunately there is only one series a year that lasts for about 3 months.

They do have alot of Reality TV, but no where near as much as what you see here. And of course they air the more popular American ones, such as Survivor.

Just for your information, its Sydney not Sidney. ;)

And I'm really off topic here, but as you like character studies, have you read Wicked. I'm reading it at the moment and finding it somewhat unusual.

18. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

See, I thought so... the vj's on the Basement were always talking about that show and would give updates when they were broadcast as the breakfast show for some music channel down there....

You see, I can never remember that... my mom's name is "Sidney" so I always type in the wrong thing for some reason....

Serene recommended I pick that up, actually, but haven't yet...

19. Max Registered

Avid,

Yeah, the OC has their season premiere on Thursday.

20. Serene Registered

Pretty much the same here.. although I admit (with slight embarrassment) to having watched "Beauty and the Geek." I offer no explanation, I have none. :p

I've heard "The Amazing Race" is a really good show.. but never seemed to catch it.

The BIG show right now amongst the teens in our area is "Laguna Beach," a show I just don't get. I think it's a reality show, but I'm not sure. I'm also not interested enough to watch more to find out.

My problem with reality shows is that they're NOT really real. Everyone knows there's a camera in their face.. so how genuine do you really think they're being? So I have a hard time accepting it as reality. I just get annoyed.

21. avidreader Registered

Well then how can they make a big deal about its ratings last week when it was also a repeat.:confused:

I'll bet you remember from here on end.:D

Ah, a closet reality tv junkie.;)

22. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Yep. I probably won't make that mistake again.

23. Max Registered

Avid,

I meant to say "The OC HAD their premiere last Thursday." It wasn't a repeat.

24. avidreader Registered

Okay, well I guess that would be disappointing for them.

25. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

hehehehe... :D :up:

Yesterday’s Winners:
    Survivor: Guatemala (CBS), Smallville (WB), Everybody Hates Chris (UPN), CSI (CBS), Without A Trace (CBS)

Ratings Breakdown:
    Although CBS, as usual, remains the network to beat on Thursday, the story worth telling last night was on the WB, courtesy of the relocated Smallville. Veteran Smallville opened season five with an impressive 4.4/ 7 in the overnights (#4), 5.74 million viewers (#5) and a 2.6/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#4) at 8 p.m., beating the season-premiere of ABC’s relocated Alias by 8 percent in the demo (see below). Comparably, that was the best metered market rating for the WB in the Thursday 8 p.m. hour since the one-hour launch of sitcom Family Affair on Sept. 12, 2002. Versus two episodes (original and repeat) of former occupant Blue Collar TV on the year-ago evening (Overnights: #5, 3.0/ 4; Viewers: #6, 3.11 million; A18-49: #6, 1.3/ 4 on Sept. 30, 2004), that was an increase of a considerable 47 percent in the overnights, 2.63 million viewers and 100 percent among adults 18-49.

While retention for the WB’s Everwood at 9 p.m. (Overnights: #4t, 3.2/ 5; Viewers: #5, 3.57 million; A18-49: #5, 1.4/ 4) out of Smallville was modest at 73 percent in the overnights, 62 percent in total viewers and 54 percent among adults 18-49, it was still enough to outdeliver competing sitcoms Eve and Cuts on UPN. It was also the WB’s best overnight rating in the Thursday 9 p.m. hour with regularly scheduled programming since March 2003...​

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters/proginsider/index.jsp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.