Jokers_Wild

Always Smiling
Reaction score
Just close if already posted.

Dark Knight' Trailer's Joker Shots Have Guillermo Del Toro, Others Smiling

Link:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1576855/20071219/story.jhtml

Text:

The makeup. The walk. The cockeyed posture and bubbling psychosis: For legions of Batman fans across the globe, Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker in "The Dark Knight" is no laughing matter. So why are so many people smiling?

"I love it," "Hellboy" director Guillermo del Toro gushed to MTV News. "Every time I see more of Heath Ledger's Joker, I like it more. That's a good sign because if something is going the wrong way, the more you see about it, the less you ingratiate yourself with it."
Del Toro isn't alone. Just days after the first leaked online, fans and critics alike are singing the praises of Ledger's portrayal, which many are already calling a pitch-perfect dramatization of Batman's greatest nemesis, the Clown Prince of Crime.
It's a difficult role for any actor to pull off, say fans, a delicate balancing act that straddles the line between crazy and crazy-scary. That Ledger appears to pull it off so effortlessly is nothing less than a testament to director "Batman: The Animated Series" producer and writer Paul Dini insisted.
"Heath Ledger's Joker seems perfectly suited to the dark Gotham City created by Christopher Nolan," Dini asserted. "He seems more street than any other version of the Joker, with his clownish visage recalling hastily applied graffiti paint rather than chemically dyed skin."
Dini is legendary among Batman aficionados for his work on the Emmy Award-winning "Batman: The Animated Series." The show's more famous canonical influences include an adopted redesign of Mr. Freeze (as well as a new back story for the super-villain) and the introduction of the Joker's demented sidekick, Harley Quinn — but it was his work with the Joker himself that often earned Dini the loudest praise. His version of the character (voiced by Mark Hamill) could turn on a dime, from twisted psychopath to demented prankster — always ready with a laugh or a gag for his enemies.
Dini sees very little of that schizophrenia in Ledger's performance, a quality that he believes makes the character that much more terrifying.
"His attitude is mordant and sardonic as opposed to manic," Dini reflected. "No goofy gags or puns for him. This Joker doesn't split sides ... he splits skulls."
As much of an influence Dini's noirish vision may have had on the darker themes of Nolan's Batman universe, no artist, perhaps, has made as big an impact on "Begins" and "Dark Knight" as Jeph Loeb, the legendary comics author of "Batman: The Long Halloween," a 13-issue limited series that examined the origins of Harvey "Two-Face" Dent and the rise of Batman's familiar rogues gallery after the fall of crime boss Carmine Falcone. By his own admission, Nolan credited the series as a powerful inspiration for his take on Batman.
The respect and admiration is mutual, Loeb said.
"I saw the trailer and loved it," he enthused. "I'm as big a fan of Nolan's and [writer David] Goyer as they are of me! They talked extensively about the influence of my work on both films — so what's there not to like?!"
In particular, Loeb singled out Ledger's Joker as particularly terrifying, contrasting it with previous incarnations of the character that might have been too "clowny."
"I was never a big Nicholson fan," Loeb said of Jack's Joker in Tim Burton's "Batman." "[Ledger] however feels just about right. I eagerly anticipate more!"
"If any franchise can benefit from being grittier and darker, it's Batman," Del Toro added. "With this I find him really scary. I find him really, really edgy and scary."
With a scarier, grittier Joker on the loose in Gotham, what exactly is a crime-fighter to do?
Find out how the heck he got out in the first place, joked Adam West, best known to a whole generation of fans as TV's Batman.
"The Joker? Heath Ledger?" the icon playfully questioned. "I thought the Joker was still serving hard time in Gotham State Prison."
POW! BAM! Ledger's Joker arrives in all his glory July 18.

I havent seen this. Cool article.
I think Guillermo del Toro is a genius in his own way. So to see someone like him commenting like that on the movie is reassuring.

This is the coolest thing of the day! Very nice!

:up:

The closer we get to release date, the more I think this will do SM numbers. I mean, my gf reads gossip sites every night before we go to bed and along with shots of Paris, Britney, etc, they include leaked TDK pics and official posters.

If they were going to ask anyone about the impact of the trailer, those aren't some bad names to ask!

If they were going to ask anyone about the impact of the trailer, those aren't some bad names to ask!

I'd not seen this, thanks for posting. great to see even more positive feedback for TDK

It's always a beautiful thing when fellow artists comment enthusiastically to another's work. It isn't just fanboy anticipation. You could just really tell when great work is being made.

This article is an epic win. Finally some feedback from some huge names in the biz.

Im esp glad to see loeb commenting, TLH is like...the deffinative.

Awesome, thanks for the read. :up:

It's always a beautiful thing when fellow artists comment enthusiastically to another's work. It isn't just fanboy anticipation. You could just really tell when great work is being made.

Agreed. Especially from del Toro, who has no affiliation with WB/DC.

Anything Dini approves I approved. That man's my idol.:up:

The film is a yr away from release but people are singing Ledger's praises.....all we've seen is a trailer.

This world baffles me. Not to say i have no faith In Ledger. I hated the choice at first but i think he atleast looks great, but how can anyone ring his praises i don't know.

Adam West is so unbelievably cool!

The film is a yr away from release but people are singing Ledger's praises.....all we've seen is a trailer.

This world baffles me. Not to say i have no faith In Ledger. I hated the choice at first but i think he atleast looks great, but how can anyone ring his praises i don't know.

Well, its half a year away, and we've seen pics, read reports, heard dialogue, and of course seen the trailer which focuses heavily on the Joker. Its fair to say we've got a pretty good first impression of his character and how Ledger will portray him.

Find out how the heck he got out in the first place, joked Adam West, best known to a whole generation of fans as TV's Batman.
"The Joker? Heath Ledger?" the icon playfully questioned. "I thought the Joker was still serving hard time in Gotham State Prison."
POW! BAM! Ledger's Joker arrives in all his glory July 18.

I need this in a soundbite ASAP.

And praise from Del Toro? Awesome. The man is one of my favourite directors.

Just by the scenes in the trailer you can tell that Ledger has completely delved into The Joker character. People's reaction are like this because they've never seen The Joker portrayed like this on the Big Screen, and never seen Ledger like this either. Talented people(Del Toro) recognize other talented people and by those few scenes in the trailer you can tell Ledger knocked this out of the park.:hoboj:

Nice find. This was a great read.

Ahhhhh no Kevin Smith. :)

Thanks for that read!

If you go over to Kevin Smith's message board over at View Askew, he gave an opinion.

To sum it up, HE LOVED the trailer, and went to see the prologue as well and was blown away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"