religious views and comic preference

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
So I was just curious about this and I wanted to see if there was any correlation. Feel free to determine whether this includes movie/comic/tv universes on your own.

If everyone is respectful I see no reason why this should be taken offensively, but (in case you were worried) the poll is anonymous nonetheless.

I also wonder the same regarding Star Trek / Star Wars but we'll start with this.

I don't get it. No offense taken of course it's just that there are so many types of religions and/or philosophies (pantheism, dualism, monotheism) that go along with such not to mention the similar content produced by both companies (yet contrasting content as well)... Too many factors to make the poll statistically relevant in my opinion.

I think certain authors would be more relevant than companies and/or characters.. Although certainly a character like the Punisher may appeal to some more so than Spiderman, I don't know. Maybe if some company did some statistical studies on personality and type of superhero that would be interesting. Maybe a misanthropic closet case (picked on a bit too much) with a black/white viewpoint of the world; inflexible, never give in type mentality with a sort of myopic (yet very detail orientated way of breaking things down into absolutes) could be Rorschach or Mr. A. Who knows what some people may be like mindset wise.

This will not end well... But before that happens:

I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic School, currently an atheist and I have always supported both Marvel and DC across mediums.

Man, see i dont get why it has to be offensive (not that it is thus far).

There are plenty of threads regarding religion. And it's pretty reasonable to suggest, that no matter what religion(s) you are or aren't you would ether identify as either a religious person or non-religious person.

If not, don't vote.

Actually there are no threads regarding religion because it always devolves into a mess. But I participated, I am Christian and I prefer Marvel

Oh haha. Well, there used to be threads about religion. If there are new rules about religious threads and this one must eventually be closed, so be it. Or maybe just locked for discussion?

Ah well. I tried.

I don't see any harm, since it's more research based than about a discussion.

I don't get how being religious affects how one company appeals to me more than the other.

I am Muslim, and based on that I mostly avoid the stories of Thor, Hercules, Wonder Woman, Doctor Strange, and others like them, it made me so happy to watch The Dark World and hear Odin say it to Loki: "We are not Gods, we age, we birth, we eat."

Well, that in itself is interesting. Is there something specific about Muslim teachings that states you shouldn't/can't read those types of characters or just out of personal morality?

See everybody! OP already learned something. ;)

I guess you can say it's a mix of both.

I am a non practicing Christian and prefer Marvel.

I'm an atheist/agnostic and I like both DC and Marvel. The wars between them are silly.

I also don't get what religion has to do with anything about whether someone prefers DC or Marvel.

I'm not religious and I prefer Marvel. Mostly just from a story preference.

So long as we can discuss without bashing each other, it should be fine. :o

I always assumed it was due to the DC heroes being more like gods and Marvel heroes being more like the average joes granted power, but still being more down to Earth and dealing with normal ****. Batman is a normal guy, but that's like saying Elon Musk is a normal guy.

I'm an atheist/agnostic and I like both DC and Marvel. The wars between them are silly.

You can still have a preference, though.

I am not religious and I prefer DC.

One's religion on its own might not be an influence on their comic preference, but it might reflect personality traits that do inform their opinion on comic book characters and stories.

I'm a Christian and I prefer Marvel. I also love DC, but like terry said, the Marvel heroes seem more down-to-earth to me.

I guess my faith does influence what sort of comics I'm into, just as much as it influences every other type of media entertainment I partake in.

I do think that historically, DC was a tad more conservative. Or at least less progressive. Many of Marvel's biggest franchises were born in the 60's though, so that's not particularly surprising.

Personally I do find it interesting that the various characters' religions are rarely mentioned or explored.

Superman is a noticeable exception.

I'm not sure if I've ever pondered a correlation between my religious beliefs and what sort of media I respond to. But I'm a Christian, grew up reading both Marvel and DC, but I've basically stayed a fan because of the MCU.

I don't get how being religious affects how one company appeals to me more than the other.

I am Muslim, and based on that I mostly avoid the stories of Thor, Hercules, Wonder Woman, Doctor Strange, and others like them, it made me so happy to watch The Dark World and hear Odin say it to Loki: "We are not Gods, we age, we birth, we eat."

That's interesting, I didn't know some Muslims had an aversion to stories like that.

I guess I'm going through sort of an agnostic phase in my life. as a kid, spiderman was my favorite superhero, but I'm excited for both camps of films.

for WB's, I would've been more excited if they kept christian bale for batman
for Disney's, I would've been more excited if they chose dylan o'brien

but it is what it is. the important thing is batman & superman will be in a film together, and spiderman is in the mcu.

I'm a Christian and I prefer Marvel. I also love DC, but like terry said, the Marvel heroes seem more down-to-earth to me.

I guess my faith does influence what sort of comics I'm into, just as much as it influences every other type of media entertainment I partake in.

See my original hypothesis would've been along these lines. On some level I theorized that the "down-to-earth" nature of Marvel heroes and the somewhat "infallible" nature of DC heroes (at least traditionally speaking) wouldve swayed the poll one way or another. But even in that regard, it could've gone either way.

As it stands currently, the only thing we may learn from the thread is that there is, in fact, no correlation whatsoever. lol

I do think that historically, DC was a tad more conservative. Or at least less progressive. Many of Marvel's biggest franchises were born in the 60's though, so that's not particularly surprising.

Personally I do find it interesting that the various characters' religions are rarely mentioned or explored.

This is also something that crossed my mind. Marvel's been celebrated for its minority readership for (at the very least) X-Men. But interestingly that includes both homosexuals and Jewish people. So truthfully it still gets us nowhere. :p

On another note, I feel I can name more Marvel characters by religion than DC characters (Daredevil, Ben Grimm, the Maximoffs, Kamala).

I think a lot of comic book readers could lean towards science fiction reading as well, which may lend itself towards a less religious view in the world. The more people rely on science, the more religion seems to take a step back. Less belief in a God that controls the world in a divine manner has definitely spread compared to what it once was before such advances.

I am a Christian. I prefer marvel films, DC comics and televisions shows (i.e. DCAU).

I get into the walking dead alot too.

I'm a creative theist (I make up my own religious theories because my guesses about God and the nature of reality are just as likely as anyone else's...)

And I prefer Marvel.

C'mon, Dardevil, Silver Surfer, Cap, X-men, Black Panther, Hulk, Spidey, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Dr. Strange, etc

I like Batman and Super but seriously.

My beliefs are influenced by Greek myth, Buddhism, Catholicism, Gnosticism, and science fiction.

And I like Star Wars.

Alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"