Rob zombie is Done Making Horror Films

TheDreamMaster

The Night He Came Home...
Reaction score
http://www.horror-movies.ca/2013/05/rob-zombie-announces-hes-done-making-horror-movies/

Herner Klenthur May 14th, 2013 22
Rob Zombie you either love his horror movies or you hate them. Rarely does there seem to be much middle ground on this topic. This morning one of our readers alerted me to the fact that Rob Zombie seems to have had his fill of doing horror movies. Thats right he is throwing in the towel…. at least for now.

The Pheonix New Times did an interview with Rob Zombie asking if he would be interested in doing a monster movie next and his answer was pretty shocking declaring the Lords of Salem will be his last horror flick;

"No. I’m not really thinking of doing anything . . . Lords of Salem is my last sort of horror-genre related film for a really long time."

Rob Zombie has gotten plenty of heat over the years and some scorn from horror fans. He had the balls to step up to remake one of the greatest horror movies of all time, Halloween and then followed that up with a sequel to a remake. I thought his remake was pretty solid but the sequel was so bad it just made me brain hemmorage.

Not sure what to think about this. On the one hand I like HoOTC and love TDR. I don't care for Halloween and hated H2. I thought El Superbeasto was funny but not the best I've ever seen. And finally, I haven't caught Lords of Salem yet, but a friend said it was terrible and the reviews have not been kind.
As a filmmaker, I like Rob, he seems more down to earth than some, I just wish he knew how to stop himself or not drive the same things home in every movie (that America has a lot of trashy people, that some are good and bad, that bad things happening can make bad people, There are just evil people in the world. Etc.)

I'm happy about this. Long time fan of his and have read interviews way back in the past where he says that despite his music being horror themed, that he loves most other genres of film. I look forward to see what he does next. Last I heard he is working on a Hockey film based on a true game/story.

TheDreamMaster, I pretty much agree with your thoughts on his films, except for Superbeasto, I thought that was kind of stupid. I also haven't seen Salem yet.

What's his wife going to do for work now?

I'll admit I have yet to see LOS but basing my opinion on all of his other work, I'm glad to see him leave the genre.

The only movie of his I've seen is his first Halloween and I genuinely don't know how I feel about it... on one hand, I like that he put his own spin on it, instead of straight up copying everything Carpenter did. On the other, I didn't care for MM's white trash upbringing at all. Him being mistreated by anybody and everybody takes away the creepiness of an otherwise normal boy one day killing his sister for no real reason. On one hand, I loved Malcolm McDowell as Loomis. On the other, I didn't really care for any of the others.

Excellent.

tumblr_me5n7s76Jd1qk63b8o7_250.gif

I still think The Devil's Rejects was just a happy accident.

I still think The Devil's Rejects was just a happy accident.

I have to disagree. I feel that the Halloween films were a huge misstep for him. He should have focused his time and energy into some more original ideas and could have pumped out something just as good if not better than TDR.

The only movie of his I've seen is his first Halloween and I genuinely don't know how I feel about it... on one hand, I like that he put his own spin on it, instead of straight up copying everything Carpenter did. On the other, I didn't care for MM's white trash upbringing at all. Him being mistreated by anybody and everybody takes away the creepiness of an otherwise normal boy one day killing his sister for no real reason. On one hand, I loved Malcolm McDowell as Loomis. On the other, I didn't really care for any of the others.

Jesus man how many hands do you have?

I have to disagree. I feel that the Halloween films were a huge misstep for him. He should have focused his time and energy into some more original ideas and could have pumped out something just as good if not better than TDR.
See this isn't necessarily true though, because Lords is an original idea and from the sound of things, its pretty bad. My friend who has seen it also read the novel, which was based on an earlier draft of the script and had a secondary author do touch ups and whatnot, and apparently the novel is much better and easier to understand. He said the movie was pretty much crap, so who knows what happened: did the other writer make it better, did the earlier draft make more sense, or does the novel just work as a more cohesive story than whatever camera work/editing Rob did on the film? We'll probably never know, but I'm just saying, I don't think he could have pumped out too many original ideas worth their merit during his time making those films. Hell, he tried to make H2 original, and while I certainly admit it was nothing like any other Halloween film, that made it far from a good film.

TheDreamMaster, I pretty much agree with your thoughts on his films, except for Superbeasto, I thought that was kind of stupid. I also haven't seen Salem yet.
Superbeasto reminded me of Ren and Stimpy after it came back. It had its moments but overall I've seen better. It has been years since I've seen it, I remember not really ever caring to watch it again.

I think The Devil's Rejects is great, Lords of Salem is a very interesting movie.

His Halloweens were awful and I think he's among the worst things to ever happen to that franchise though.

He has much more talent as a director than he does a writer, really wish he'd direct other peoples scripts and just have a hand in the story.

It'd be fun to see him try a violent action movie.
He's wanted to make a grindhouse-style action movie called T-Rex for a while now but wasn't able to get the budget to try it.

R.I.P.

Sheri Moon Zombie's career

2003 - 2013

I don't see any problems with this revelation.

I love his visual style , but the reviews for Lords of Salem make me think he's doing the right thing.

Most of the reviews I read after the Toronto premier were not that bad, even the negative reviews admitting that it just wasn't their cup of tea.

I still haven't gotten to see it. It only played at one theater in St. Louis, at the far reaches at the metropolitan area and only for 2 weeks.

He said "my last sort of horror-genre related film for a really long time" implying he'll be back like every other slasher at some point. He'll never leave the horror genre truly alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"