• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homecoming Robert Downey Jr IS Tony Stark / Iron Man

Box office insurance, baby. Box office insurance.

No guarantees in this biz obviously *ahem* Batman in BvS *ahem* but with Marvel Studios at the helm and RDJ in tow, this should be entertaining.

Of course, a Tony Stark played by a proven actor with proven creatives in control, is a hell of a lot better insurance than Batman in BvS ( new actor, unproven creatives ).

After the progressive debacle of the TASM movies, I think its smart. Granted, I would have preferred a Captain America cameo, but hey, maybe next movie. ;)

Hope it's just a limited role.................very limited

Hope it's just a limited role.................very limited

There's no way RDJ's agents are going to settle for a supporting role, after those tough negotiations on CA:CW. Even though Ike Perlmutter has left the Marvel film division, RDJ is going to be the star of this film, or co-star at minimum. Tom Holland will get second billing.

I'm curious as to the other MCU actor joining the project. I doubt it'll be Chris Hemsworth or Mark Ruffalo since they're going to be filming Thor Ragnarok around the same time.

I'm glad he's in particularly if he has the setup from CW. For other character's solo films I'd rather it was other non-RDJ characters doing the cameos though.

Bit too far there. Marvel isnt stupid. Its Spideys film first and foremost. Iron Man will likely play second fiddle along with whoever the villain is. Maybe as one of Oscorps rivals. Or one of Adrian Toomes business rivals before he works on the Vulture tech.

question is if he will be suited-up at all, and if you guys would like that...

So, do you think he will be suited-up as Iron-Man? And would you like it or no?

Yes, yes and yes.

Why wouldn't he be? Marvel finally gets their crown jewel back and get their #1 money maker signed on. It'd be pretty dumb if they didn't have their biggest cinematic powerhouses team up.

I'd imagine they're going to accomplish what the rival studio kind of failed at this year with both of their most popular characters on the big screen.

spidey.gif

Let's go baby!!! :D

Holy **** this got me laughing so hard :lmao:

Deadpool had two X-Men and they didn't hijack his movie. They appeared in the final fight scene and both helped out alot and it only added to the movie imo. Granted they weren't as big as Tony Stark but I think it's basically the same scenario and he'll probably be kinda similar in how they use him.

Tony Stark/Iron Man is gonna appear in a Spider-Man movie and some are actually disappointed or upset??? I'm ecstatic right now, I've seen every Spidey film where he's been solo. Not sure how adding in Iron Man is playing it safe when it's different from all the past films. Man do I love the shared universe, Peter to join the science bros?

Ugh, really not happy about this. I would much rather see more focus on Spidey's mythos.

Really hope they don't make Tony help him out in any way. Part of what made Spider-Man so appealing is that he never had a mentor. He was just a natural at the superhero thing. This could potentially hurt that to an extent.

^MTE :whatever:

This makes sense because Spidey is in the MCU now, it would be waste to not take advantage of that and treat his solo movie like it's completely isolated like one of the TV shows. Second, it makes sense with what they established in CW. Peter and Tony develop a relationship, so it only makes sense that Tony would keep up with Peter going forward. We also see in IM3 that Tony has a soft spot for kids he seems himself in. It's organic for Tony to be in this movie. one of the comments earlier said that they could have chosen anyone and they chose Tony so therefore it's a cash grab. No, they could not have just chosen anyone and Tony makes the most sense because him and Peter specifically developed a relationship. Having Black Widow or someone in the movie would look more like they're trying to just tie the movie into the MCU lazily than having Iron Man in it.

Also, just because Tony is in the movie doesn't mean he's going to be flying around as Iron Man the whole time. I bet he only suits up as Iron Man once and the rest of the time he's just Tony as a supporting character.

2 years ago- "Spider-Man belongs in the MCU! I hate you Sony! Let him interact with the other Avengers! It's where he belongs! :o"

Now- "OMG Iron-Man is in the movie? Why would they do that? Can't we just get a Spider-Man movie? My God... :o"

i-give-up.gif

Don't need to b-i-t c-h about it, if Stark being the main support role didn't steal spot light from Cap, he won't be over-shadowing Spidey.

You want another reason why you don't need to worry about "losing focus of Spidey"? It's still a SONY movie, they're not using their own Spider-Man film to promote Iron Man for Disney/Marvel.

2 years ago- "spider-man belongs in the mcu! I hate you sony! Let him interact with the other avengers! It's where he belongs! :o"

now- "omg iron-man is in the movie? Why would they do that? Can't we just get a spider-man movie? My god... :o"

i-give-up.gif

you sir, deserve a truck of cookies.

Yeah I don't get the negativity. Marvel isn't stupid enough to throw in Stark in a manner such that RDJ would overshadow Holland. Considering the how many decades Marvel has leaned on Spidey to float their business, they know how important he is as a standalone character. Adding RDJ gives them some box office insurance and leverages the fact that Spidey is in the MCU, and the main risk in RDJ overshadowing everyone is something they can control creatively. RDJ will probably get last billing for this film, similar to SLJ.

2 years ago- "Spider-Man belongs in the MCU! I hate you Sony! Let him interact with the other Avengers! It's where he belongs! :o"

Now- "OMG Iron-Man is in the movie? Why would they do that? Can't we just get a Spider-Man movie? My God... :o"

i-give-up.gif

If Iron Man wasn't in it, people would be "where are the other heroes!?!?! New York is getting attacked again and I don't see a peep out of anybody!! See I knew Sony still had control and wouldn't let anyone near Spider-Man!!"

This is dumb, people complain about everything, I'm used to it.

i-give-up.gif

That's a straw man and you know it. Him being in the MCU shouldn't necessarily translate to having other heroes showing up in his own films, especially when many of those excited for the Marvel/Sony deal clearly expressed interest in the idea of Spidey's films still feeling relatively standalone compared to the Avengers ones.

I don't see why people are so up in arms about RDJ in Homecoming: 1. Iron Man + Spidey = $1bil+ box office 2. The MCU has shown that they can have other heroes as supporting characters in the main hero's solo outing and have it make creative sense without compromising/derailing from the star of the movie (e.g Black Widow in TWS, the abundance of heroes in Civil War) 3. People who claim that Spidey never needed other heroes in the comics seem to be forgetting something: comic Spider-Man is the king of team ups. He's had more cross-overs than any other solo hero in Marvel, so of course he was going to have another MCU hero in his solo 4. Given what happens in Civil War, particularly the Stark/Parker bond that is formed, it would be pretty surprising if Stark wouldn't be checking up on the teenage super-hero he discovered (especially given his stance on accountability, he'd want to make sure the kid is keeping in check) 5. People seem to fear Spidey being upstaged by Stark in his first MCU solo outing, but forget that the reviews of Civil War seem to be in consensus that Peter was the scene stealer of the film (which not only had Iron Man, but the main Avengers minus Thor and Hulk, Ant-Man and the incredible Black Panther) Sony and Marvel both know how important this movie is for Spider-Man, trust me they're not going to screw this up

That is a very logical post. If only the entire fandom could hear it...even if they could some of them still wouldnt listen.

I see him being mostly out of suit, but maybe putting the armor on to help out later on. And I would still love to see Daredevil and/or The Punisher show up in a Spidey film at some point.

That's a straw man and you know it. Him being in the MCU shouldn't necessarily translate to having other heroes showing up in his own films, especially when many of those excited for the Marvel/Sony deal clearly expressed interest in the idea of Spidey's films still feeling relatively standalone compared to the Avengers ones.

Yess!

Plus not wanting to have Iron Man in his solo movie mean we don't want them to interact at all. That's what the other Avengers movies are for.

They should have left the spotlight to be 100% on Spidey, espacially for his first movie.
I guess now we are going to see a new Avenger appears in the others 2 films? :whatever:
I used to love MCU!Tony but after almost 10 films in 8 years, I'm tired of seeing his face which is understantable imo, because he's always the centre of a MCU!movie when he is in it.

This is too much.

If it's a 5 minute cameo of sorts, then fine but at this point RDJ/Stark is starting to feel like Puffy Daddy, who in the 90's used to be in everybody's video on his Bad Boy Label..and it got annoying.

I've always felt that RDJ's IM was over rated anyway. IM1 is the only universally liked IM movie of the 3. Most ppl hate 2, and ppl are split on IM3, yet Marvel acts like he's the center piece for their entire universe.....

Marvel has seemingly double-down on making even solo films crossovers now:

-Black Widow on TWS.
-Falcon appearing in Ant-Man.
-CW basically being Avengers 3 by another name.
-Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok.
-Iron Man here.
-Etc.

And yeah, he IS the centerpiece right now. Without him there is no MCU to begin with, and IM3 grossed more than all of the other non-AOU Phase Two movies, by a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"