The Winter Soldier Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Personally, I'm hoping that its revealed that Pierce is Heinrich Zemo in disguise. Granted that would mean they'd have to drop the whole mask is stuck to his head angle, but Marvel has shown recently that they aren't adverse to making changes to their villains for their films.

Personally, I'm hoping that its revealed that Pierce is Heinrich Zemo in disguise. Granted that would mean they'd have to drop the whole mask is stuck to his head angle, but Marvel has shown recently that they aren't adverse to making changes to their villains for their films.

I highly doubt it will be Zemo.

Alec Baldwin admitted on a recent NPR interview that he was originally up for the Robert Redford role, but couldn't take it due to schedule conflicts. He referred to it as a "villain" role. Looks like there's a plot twist!

Alec Baldwin admitted on a recent NPR interview that he was originally up for the Robert Redford role, but couldn't take it due to schedule conflicts. He referred to it as a "villain" role. Looks like there's a plot twist!

No, most of us pretty much assumed he'd be an antagonist of some kind.

Not doubting you, but do you have a link to the source of this?

Not doubting you, but do you have a link to the source of this?
The quotes I've read have shown that he did not name the role he turned down, just that it was "one of these Marvel villains" or something like that.

The quotes I've read have shown that he did not name the role he turned down, just that it was "one of these Marvel villains" or something like that.

Yep. It might be Norman Osborn, or Bolivar Trask, or someone.

It's odd to imagine Redford being Marvel's second choice after Baldwin.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty sure Redford would have always been there first pick.

Okay I tracked down some sources myself. He talked about it on the Howard Stern show.

Stern reportedly asked Baldwin why he’s never been offered a super-villain, which set off the following exchange.
I have, but I won’t mention which one. I don’t want to undo somebody because they hired someone else to do it. But they asked me to play a villain in one of these Marvel Comics movies.
After a follow up, Baldwin said:
I wasn’t available, they wanted me to work a certain time. And because of my wife’s pregnancy, I had to turn down two films this summer that I wanted to do.​
The speculated possibilities were: GotG (The Collector), Winter Soldier, X-Men (I'd guess Bolivar Trask), ASM 2 (Rhino or Osborn).

I'm not familiar enough with GotG to judge there, but that aside I'd guess Trask or Osborn. Baldwin to Redford just seems like a really strange jump in casting.

Last edited:
My guess was Trask also.
Pierce or whoever he is doesnt seem like a natural fit for Baldwin .

So Baldwin to Redford is a bigger casting jump than Baldwin to Peter Dinklage? :D

It's Robert Redford, of course its bigger. The only casting that would be more surprising is if they actually got Daniel Day-Lewis to appear in Star Wars.

It isn't Trask because Singer said Dinklage was his first choice, as he wanted to work with him for a while. I would guess Osborn.

Well, Redford certainly gave off villain-vibes in the trailer. Pretty much everything that came out of his mouth seemed like a veiled threat.

What I'm really hoping for is, that if Redford turns out to be the antagonist (which he certainly seems to be), that they don't make him straight up evil. I'd like Cap to battle against a villain who really believes in those gray areas, but just went a bit overboard. That would be interesting to see him struggle with.

And it seems like they're going in that direction, which gets me excited.

And I really hope that he's not being controlled by the Red Skull from an distance like some have speculated or that he is actually the Red Skull. Let him be his own character.

Pierce and Cap's interactions (and Fury and Cap's, to a lesser extent) give me the same vibes as the ones between Redford and Brad Pitt in "Spy Game", with the clash between pragmatism and idealism.

I still think that he's General Alexander Lukin in disguise.

LOL I still remember Alexander Pierce working under Fury ithat Hasselhof movie

Clearly a better take nowadays .....

In CATWS I wonder if Fury knows Pierce from way back ... and then Pierce betrays him

That would be anticlimactic. Lukin works much better in a story about the Winter Soldier. Use a new villain, then bring Red Skull back in CA 3.

And I really hope that he's not being controlled by the Red Skull from an distance like some have speculated or that he is actually the Red Skull. Let him be his own character.

Well actually, since Weaving said he didn't want to be back, if you had to replace him, Redford's a damn fine actor.

But I wouldn't mind him being his own character either. Like I said above, if he is the antagonist in this film, I really hope he's not straight out evil. I hope he's someone who's fully entrenched in the grey areas that covert agencies deal in, but someone who's taken it just a little too far. That way, it gives Cap a bit of pause while he's trying to fight this man. It's not quite so clear cut.

Actually

If he turns out to be the Red Skull, I think the image of what espionage has become still works. If Pierce is his own character, yes I'd prefer him to not be entirely wrong but corrupted. But, think of the symbolic image if he is indeed the Red Skull. The new world of espionage has become so murky, that one of the most notoriously evil men ever was able to rise through the ranks and eventually take it over. This is a world that has decayed so much that the power of evil men keeps growing. I think that image, especially for a Captain America movie, is strong and works extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"