Robin or no Robin?

I think Robin should have his own film. Dick Grayson has one of the most interesting and tragic origin stories of any comic book character and he's arguably had the most character growth of any mainstream comic character. A robin movie has so much potential, the only thing is Bruce Wayne/ Batman is so integral to his story that you cannot have a movie without him and he could potentially overshadow him. But, despite that I could definitely picture a Robin trilogy where he becomes Nightwing in part 3.

robin should be apart of the batman and justice league universe. however it should be developed over time. this is going spawn countless movies. just let it build up. no sense in rushing things.

if batman is in his 40's doesn't that mean dick and jason are out of the picture by now? dick is nightwing and jason is most likely dead. i'm sure tim will be there but he won't be a pivitol part of the movie. he's either referenced or is talking to bruce and bruce tell him that he can't go to metropolis with him

That is what I am hoping for. After all the mistreatment Robin has gotten in live action and the halfway adaptation we got in Rises I'd love for the first solo Batman flick to be based heavily on Under the Hood to show Robin's importance and variety to Batman and the mythos.

if batman is in his 40's doesn't that mean dick and jason are out of the picture by now? dick is nightwing and jason is most likely dead. i'm sure tim will be there but he won't be a pivitol part of the movie. he's either referenced or is talking to bruce and bruce tell him that he can't go to metropolis with him

They'll probably take a few creative liberties in that regard

I could see them going the route of Robin having already become Nightwing. You could have Batman, Nightwing and Batgirl already established, but with no Tim Drake or Jason Todd in sight. That would be the smartest way to go, in all honesty.

With that said, I posted this in another thread and would like to point out why Robin is so hard to do:

When a movie with their own child superhero can say that and audiences agree, there is a problem with public perception. Sad but true.

Batman & Robin turned Batman into a two hour gay joke. Batman & Robin turned Bane into a dumbass in a gimp mask. Pretty sure people think they're okay now. Also, Robin is on the mend in the perception of the GA following The Dark Knight Rises.

If you gave up on a character every time they had an unsuccessful outing there would be no more film franchises.

It is about time they embrace Batmans history and that includes Robin. Not as if you have to be faithful and have him be a kid. 16-20 would be good. And hell since Afflecks will probably have been around just introduce Nightwing.

I agree. Making him already Nightwing and having either Batgirl or Oracle, not unlike how the Arkham games have done it, is the best way, IMO. Makes things simple.

I don't think it is Schumaucher though so much as the concept of a little boy in bright colors fighting criminals. It is a very difficult image to take seriously on the big screen.

Robin's not there to scare criminals, though. That's Batman's job; Robin is there as a second set of hands, eyes, ears, and batarangs.

He could be used as a device to instill fear though. Imagine a scene where a criminal is already fleeing Batman, and thinks he's escaped. But in the shadows he can hear something else following, too light to be fully grown man, then laughter stalks him through the alleyways, manic, unceasing and penetrating and as his heart rate increases, beating through his ribcage he is beaten by this laughing devil dressed in ashen black, and a flaming red and yellow demon child.

Robin could work as an extension of Batman being a weird creature of the night.

I am ready to see Dick Grayson not as Robin, but as Nightwing.

I agree. Making him already Nightwing and having either Batgirl or Oracle, not unlike how the Arkham games have done it, is the best way, IMO. Makes things simple.

I don't think it is Schumaucher though so much as the concept of a little boy in bright colors fighting criminals. It is a very difficult image to take seriously on the big screen.

I agree. Personally, I like the way the Smallville Season 11 comic did Batman and Nightwing. They had Nightwing as Batman's partner, but Barbara Gordon was Nightwing and I would want Dick to be Nightwing in the movies like the comics. I could see Dick being 17 or 18, and being trained by Bruce for many years prior to becoming Nightwing.
Robin is hard to sell this day and time. Having a 10-12 year old boy, can't work on film. Robin works in animation and the live action tv series of the 60's, but with darker storytelling, I can't see Robin translating well on screen.

I could see Dick being a mixture of all the Robins (Dick, Jason, and Tim) and also Batman Beyond Terry McGuiness, in being a protege or intern at Wayne Enterprises, etc.

Last edited:
If Nightwing is in BvS, there's a good chance Jason, Tim or even Damian could be in the next solo movies. I personally think a movie based on Under the Red Hood could be awesome

Dick Grayson as Nightwing and Tim Drake as Robin. If Batman is supposed to be "old, tired, and weary" it only makes sense to include the necessary characters that fit the timeline.

Maybe Jason Todd's death could play a role.

Jason Todd's a ****** character IMO. He was nothing special back in the day when he was Robin and there's a reason why fans voted him to be killed. He comes back as the Red Hood and is basically the Punisher with batman's training. The idea of him surviving that anyway is stupid. He's then what? The Batman with no code? I don't find him an interesting character. Ill take the other classic villains for the solo stories that are coming up any day of the week.

I vote "no Robin" in the new movies. Dick Grayson, and him only. He's moved on to Nightwing. Batman is back to being alone in his crusade and that's all.

I want to see Tim Drake as Robin and Dick Grayson as Nightwing.

The others don't need to show up. I think the comics went overboard having so many characters being Robin.

Jason Todd's a ****** character IMO. He was nothing special back in the day when he was Robin and there's a reason why fans voted him to be killed. He comes back as the Red Hood and is basically the Punisher with batman's training. The idea of him surviving that anyway is stupid. He's then what? The Batman with no code? I don't find him an interesting character. Ill take the other classic villains for the solo stories that are coming up any day of the week.

I vote "no Robin" in the new movies. Dick Grayson, and him only. He's moved on to Nightwing. Batman is back to being alone in his crusade and that's all.

never said anything about the character actually being in the movie, just saying that his death could have an impact on the way Bruce acts in the film.

What I think they should do is simply just acknowledge Robin. With Ben Affleck's Batman, they can simply have a Dick Grayson Nightwing and a Jason Todd memorial. That way they can have Robin's rich history on the screen, but keep out the stuff about Robin that just doesn't translate well onto film.

Skip the Jason Todd altogether. I never really liked it too much. It makes me hate Batman. How can you let Joker kill your partner? Joker should have had all his limbs broken to the point of being paralyzed at least. Batman is all talk sometime. Why would anyone fear him. If he didn't snap or go crazy from that, nothing will. If I was a criminal I would never talk for Batman. I vote yes to robin. Either Grayson or Drake.

Was Jason Bruce's adopted son? Like what did people think about Jason dying? Did Bruce have to create some story about his death? Does Gotham know that Jason lived with Bruce and that he died?

Skip the Jason Todd altogether. I never really liked it too much. It makes me hate Batman. How can you let Joker kill your partner? Joker should have had all his limbs broken to the point of being paralyzed at least. Batman is all talk sometime. Why would anyone fear him. If he didn't snap or go crazy from that, nothing will. If I was a criminal I would never talk for Batman. I vote yes to robin. Either Grayson or Drake.

Joker has Joker immunity. Batman tried to kill him, but Superman stopped him. Batman then confronted Joker on a helicopter, Joker got shot in the heart and the helicopter crashed, Superman rescued Batman from drowning (he didn't want to surface).

Truth is, Batman did go crazy (moreso) after Jason's death, which gave us the highlights of Bruce deciding to try and kick the crap out of Dick, leaving him crying in the cave and telling him not to return. Jason's death defined Batman comics, and the lack of resolution (it was intended to eventually lead to DKR) plagued the Bat-verse, creating what is knoen as the era of the Bat-jerk/Bat-dick etc. until the 21st Century. It was Tim who pulled him out of it.

Was Jason Bruce's adopted son? Like what did people think about Jason dying? Did Bruce have to create some story about his death? Does Gotham know that Jason lived with Bruce and that he died?

Jason was the first to be adopted. Gotham knows exactly (minus the clothes) what happened. Jason discovered his birth mother was still alive, he went ahead to meet her, Bruce came out later, but Sheila was working with Joker, and Joker killed them both.

I agree with just about everything here. I cant say it makes me hate batman that he didn't save him, because I like that he's not superpowered and sometimes he cant save everybody at the hands of Joker. I mean look at Rachel in Dark Knight, I loved what they did there. But we've now seen that in a movie so to have them show flashbacks of a similar thing happening with Jason (of course more torture is involved) or even referencing...it just makes the general audience think of TDK as well as making fans expect some return from the "Red Hood". Which they shouldn't set themselves up for.

But yeah man, skip Jason Todd. Batman wasn't given the wrong address in order to save two good people that could benefit Gotham's future or a personal friend like in the movies. He could have saved Jason I guess. He should have done some serious damage to Joker afterwards. I say forget Drake as well since he deduced Wayne's identity which inspired the John Blake character.

Stick with Dick Grayson.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"