The Dark Knight Robin To Be Or Not To Be

This batman7289 person I bet it is Spiderfreddie who else would start another Robin thread and knows there are too many Robin threads but posts new ones anyway.

AnimeJune said:
He's new - we can hardly expect Shakespeare out of someone with only 23 posts to his/her name.

Well, you can out of ME. I just joined the boards a week ago, but I'm not actually a person - I'm actually a roomful of overpaid monkeys on keyboards. Ingenius, really. *puffs on corncob pipe*

Do all canuck broads have such incredible personalities, or is it just you?

El Payaso said:
Everybody knows that this kind of franchises fall apart definitively after the third movie.

How many of these kinds of franchises have even made it past the third movie? But then I guess it depends on what you mean by "this kind of franchise" Comic book movies? Or action films in general. I can only think of 2 comic book franchises that made it to 4, and in most peoples opinions they fell apart well before the 4th.

I could see this new Batman franchise making it quite a while before running out of good storylines and villains. I see no reason to stop at 3 just because society seems to think every franchise has to come in threes.

Katsuro said:
But then I guess it depends on what you mean by "this kind of franchise" Comic book movies?

No, road movies with Tom Hanks.

Katsuro said:
I can only think of 2 comic book franchises that made it to 4, and in most peoples opinions they fell apart well before the 4th.

Even worse.

Cinemaman said:
Robin (and Schumacher) killed Batman franchise.

And I dont want him to come back to destroy everything what Nolan has done again.

NO F****ING ROBIAN!
It wasn't Robin - it was Chris O'Donnell. I'm not saying put Robin in a franchise, but I'm saying that practically any idea can be turned into a good movie in the hands of a talented director who cares about the material.

Nolan doesn't care for Robin, so hence Robin shouldn't be in his movies.
And yes, Keyser Sushi - all Canadian girls have great personalities, because the cold keeps us from flashing our goodies as often as your Yank ladies.

Nolan doesnt not like Robin (he even has said that Dick Grayson does exist in his world) it is Bale who hates Robin (with a passion it seems).

StorminNorman said:
Nolan doesnt not like Robin (he even has said that Dick Grayson does exist in his world) it is Bale who hates Robin (with a passion it seems).
Ah...by the way, StorminNorman - you're new custom title...I don't mean to be all narcissistic or self-involved or anything, but did that have anything to do with the "beaten with a frozen salmon" comment I made in the "Fresh Joker Idea" thread?

AnimeJune said:
Ah...by the way, StorminNorman - you're new custom title...I don't mean to be all narcissistic or self-involved or anything, but did that have anything to do with the "beaten with a frozen salmon" comment I made in the "Fresh Joker Idea" thread?

It did, sadly Salmon does not fit. I saw Bettany's expression in the picture I am now using for my avatar and that was the first thing that came to my mind.

AnimeJune said:
It wasn't Robin - it was Chris O'Donnell. I'm not saying put Robin in a franchise, but I'm saying that practically any idea can be turned into a good movie in the hands of a talented director who cares about the material.

Bingo.

And yes, Keyser Sushi - all Canadian girls have great personalities, because the cold keeps us from flashing our goodies as often as your Yank ladies.

LOL! Then maybe I just haven't been looking far enough north before. Tell me, are you as cute and quirky on the outside as you are on the inside? :spidey:

Keyser Sushi said:
Bingo.

LOL! Then maybe I just haven't been looking far enough north before. Tell me, are you as cute and quirky on the outside as you are on the inside? :spidey:
Well, I know for a fact that my mother says I'm cool.

No Robin.

If you've read Dark Victory, you'll notice that once Robin appeared, the mood changed significantly.

I do not want the mood that Robin brings in these new Batman movies.

Alright, it seems to me that Nolan is trying to do the character of Batman some justice with his darker, more realistic take on it. He said he doesn't want to re-do many of the old villians, bringing in only the key characters that need to be in it in order for it to be a Batman story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd consider Robin part of the Batman mythology. He is one of those key characters in my opinion. If they figured out a way to put him in the series without causing to many gay jokes and without changing the overall mood of the thing, I wouldn't complain.

Iglius said:
Alright, it seems to me that Nolan is trying to do the character of Batman some justice with his darker, more realistic take on it. He said he doesn't want to re-do many of the old villians, bringing in only the key characters that need to be in it in order for it to be a Batman story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd consider Robin part of the Batman mythology. He is one of those key characters in my opinion. If they figured out a way to put him in the series without causing to many gay jokes and without changing the overall mood of the thing, I wouldn't complain.
Well, he's a main character, but a key character? Hmmm... I think he's one of those characters who has some importance, but isn't immediately relevant to the Batman story, so shouldn't automatically get a place in Nolan's Batman films.

AnimeJune said:
Well, he's a main character, but a key character? Hmmm... I think he's one of those characters who has some importance, but isn't immediately relevant to the Batman story, so shouldn't automatically get a place in Nolan's Batman films.

Actually yes, I think Robin is key to Batman's story because Robin is the one that keeps Batman human.

I think it all depends on how they choose to present the character. It could add alot to the series, or it could cause mass suckage.

StorminNorman said:
Actually yes, I think Robin is key to Batman's story because Robin is the one that keeps Batman human.

If there's no Robin, he'll turn into a giant tarantula or something?

Cuz he was human in BB.

AnimeJune said:
Well, I know for a fact that my mother says I'm cool.

Hehehe. Well, I suspect she's right, despite her obvious bias. ;)

I would like to see Robin,because I think Nolan could actually make this a cool character.But I don't want him in BB2.I like Robin and would love to see him,but I also want to see this franchise keep up the same quality as BB.So if they could do it without ruining this very promising franchise I'm all for him in BB3,and if they make one BB4,but BB2 is just too early to add his character.

El Payaso said:

Cuz he was human in BB.

Congratulations, Ellie. You made me "LOL" for real. :up:

But, that was my man Norm you tossed that gem of a line at...

In my opinion, Batman's "humanity" as Norm is speaking of it, is his compassion and heart... and its presence or absence depends largely on the writers. It's easy to take the character to a place where he becomes that harsh, and Robin obviously does keep him somewhat grounded by, basically, providing human contact. But I don't think Batman always needs that... I think Batman, as written in Begins, is pretty well-balanced, mentally and emotionally.

I also think that his mental state may slip a bit in BB2-3, but will they need Robin to help him reclaim that? Not necessarily.

El Payaso said:

Cuz he was human in BB.
Yeah - Man-Bat was a different character from Bruce, unlike Peter Parker and Man-Spider (by the way, which came first? Man-Bat or Man-Spider?).

AnimeJune said:
Yeah - Man-Bat was a different character from Bruce, unlike Peter Parker and Man-Spider (by the way, which came first? Man-Bat or Man-Spider?).

Man-Bat, I think.

AnimeJune said:

Yeah - and Man-Bat was not Bruce Wayne and all that stuff, and the tarantula... well, i don't know.

AnimeJune said:

Quick! To the Bat-Wikipedia!

First appearance of Man-Bat: Detective Comics #400, June 1970:

5129_13425_1.jpg

First appearance of Man-Spider, Marvel Fanfare #1, March 1982:

13_1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"