The Dark Knight Is Nolan abusing his reputation?

xwolverine2 said:
nah it doesnt...... though the looping got me dizzy for a while:(

i might be okay if ive seen a movie where he has a personality like joker.
let me explain with an example.

(in no way do i hate keanu)......heath is like keanu reeves,in the way that he almost plays the same person in every movie but with a slight difference that still hooks you.

keanu can never be joker

Pray tell, how are Ennis del Mar and William Thatcher the same person? How are Patrick Verona and Ned Kelly the same person?
Just because he hasn't played a villain doesn't mean he plays the same person.

xwolverine2 said:
there is no measure as to how much i loathed the commercials for that movie

I agree. Might be Heath's best performance. But I ****ing hate skateboarding.

LadyVader said:
Pray tell, how are Ennis del Mar and William Thatcher the same person? How are Patrick Verona and Ned Kelly the same person?
Just because he hasn't played a villain doesn't mean he plays the same person.
keanu doesnt play the same person......he just plays different people in his same style.

unlike johnny depp....hes like mystique. i bet he could play an oscar worthy hooker too.

heath hasnt really been mystique-ish in all his roles.

xwolverine2 said:
keanu doesnt play the same person......he just plays different people in his same style.

unlike johnny depp....hes like mystique. i bet he could play an oscar worthy hooker too.

heath hasnt really been mystique-ish in all his roles.

Keanu is low key. He never plays it over the top, that much I'll give ya.

But Heath is not like that. He can lose himself completely in his roles like he did in Brokeback and in Brothers Grimm (despite it being a giant POS movie, I feel Ledger turned in a very good erformance). I haven't seen Lords of Dogtown yet, but you have made me very curious. Anyway, I don't think it's fair to compare him to Depp either. Depp hasn't always been the skilled actor he is now. Could you imagine the kid playing Edward Scissorhands years ago one day being able to do a character like Jack Sparrow?

LadyVader said:
He can lose himself completely in his roles like he did in Brokeback and in Brothers Grimm (despite it being a giant POS movie, I Could you imagine the kid playing Edward Scissorhands years ago one day being able to do a character like Jack Sparrow?
i didnt see BBM but i saw clips on every late night show and he just had his head low and with a sad face the whole time.im sorry but he sucked in BG because it just had a ****ty script

and yes johnny has always completely gotten into his roles.. and thats a fact.
even the little ones like sleepy hollow.

So some are a fearing nolan's going to pull a Batman Returns and make batman more in his vision than the comics'?

I welcome it.

Wesyeed said:
So some are a fearing nolan's going to pull a Batman Returns and make batman more in his vision than the comics'?

I welcome it.
batman returns wasnt bad

Indeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

Franklin Richards said:
Well considering I have a Masters Degree in Theatre, I think I know a little bit about acting and I'm telling you with that monotone delivery of Ledger's his acting style is robot-like. He did good in his films but he wasn't being asked to play such a bigger than life character like the Joker.

90% of film and theatre is casting. I think he was miscast.

What do I know about The Joker? I've been reading comics for thirty years. I think I know a little about The Joker. :D

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Oooh, a master's degree in theater. Aren't you the chump?

mcflytrap said:
Oooh, a master's degree in theater. Aren't you the chump?

I got a good laugh from this comment:up: :D

xwolverine2 said:
batman returns wasnt bad

No, but it wasn't good either....at least compared with the original one.

It was too weird, too inconsistance, and too much of Tim Burton's zanniness to be a good BATMAN movie. He had to much of his own "out-there" visions in that movie and not enough of Batman Lore.

Penguins in a sewer. Ugh.

A mutate Oswald Copperpot Penguin with black goo sprewing out his mouth with a birthright complex? What the...

Resurrection of Selina Kyle from falling from a building by alley cats? Okay that was kinda cool.

And we knew more about the Penguin and Catwoman than we did of Batman in that movie. All Batman really was was the clean up man in that movie.

People forget how much a bad taste 'Batman Returns' left in the mouth of a lot of movie goers and fans mainly because 'Batman and Robin' was beyond bad. Which is why the when in another direction in the style of movie and new director for 'Batman Forever'

I have faith and trust that Nolan will not follow the same pattern that Burton did and learn from the mistatkes of the past movie Batman series.

Wesyeed said:

I welcome it.

Nolan already made the film exactly the way he wanted in the first one. Burton had to deal heavily with Jon Peters and the studio in #1 before getting complete control in #2. Nolan already has the control.

The Only Woj said:
Nolan already made the film exactly the way he wanted in the first one. Burton had to deal heavily with Jon Peters and the studio in #1 before getting complete control in #2. Nolan already has the control.

Exactly. Nolan don't need to strugle with a producer's vision on the direction of the movie because the Studio have already given him absolute control of everything and we have the brillant 'Batman Begins' becasue of it and my eternal thanks.

By the way, Jon Peters help to reign in some of the weirdness that Burton originally wanted to put in the first Batman movie, but becasue it was so phenominally successful the studios thought he could do no wrong for the sequel and why Batman Returns is so weird and more of his vision.

If you have the special edition DVDs of the Batman movies that came out last year there are some very revealing updated interviews of the movies on the extras DVD of the acotrs and the people behind the scenes and how they really feel about some of the decisions that was made for those movies.

Sam Hamm couldn't distance himself further from the decision to have Joker kill the Waynes.

And if you can stomach the 'Batman and Robin' interviews you will actually hear Joe Shcumacher apologize for the film. its' almost worth it.

freeze! put the straw-men down. What I think he's saying is that Nolan could possibly, like burton, might want to stray away from the source a little more in the next than he did in the first.

If he does, it'd be interesting. I'd give his interpretation a chance.

But, Batman Begins is HIS interpretation. A blend of the comics with hyper realism.

No, as far as what rumors say....he's got his brother and Goyer really going into the Batman Comics vault looking for stuff. The same way they did with Batman Begins.

I mean, why fix what isn't broke?

Nolan understands that for it to work, he NEEDS to stay true to the source. That's why Batman Begins pwned all, that's why it was such a sucess, and that's why fans now worship the ground he walks on.

So, I really wouldn't worry. It'd say it's very certain he'll keep to the source material. That's why David Goyer is still onboard.

Darknightnomis said:
And if you can stomach the 'Batman and Robin' interviews you will actually hear Joe Shcumacher apologize for the film. its' almost worth it.

That's funny! I'm sorry you are sitting on your couch right now watching my horrible movie. I'm sorry you only bought it complete your collection. LOL!

Yeah, he made excuses too. He kinda blamed WB a bit. He even tosses his darker films, like 8MM, at us as to tell us he CAN do dark films.

But, he never actually says sorry in the commentary. He does say sorry in the featurette on the dvd though. It was tough for him, but he did it.

It saved his life, b/c it finally called off fanboys who'd hired hitmen.

Well, his apology and Batman Begins. Those two called off the hitmen. Probably more Batman Begins, though.

man, i think there's a reason he makes trillions of dollars doing what he's doing. and his careers on the line if he makes a bad choice and the movie bombs.
plus! what good is power if you can't abuse it just a little.?

I don't think that Nolan has a duty to listen to us, but I do think that he has a duty to talk to us. The casting of Ledger in a plum role should have been supported by a public announcement, an explanation, and maybe even an interview with a fan-news source. This would have helped us to understand his reasoning, and probably would have enthused us for the film much more during our long wait. Instead, it feels as if this milestone was not even worthy of comment, and that our faith in the director and his vision is being rewarded with neglect and silence. I don't find that to be satisfactory.

^Why not give us a trailer while your're at it.

^LOL.exactly.A good director doesn't have to make an announcement after every rumor hits.

Did Raimi make an announcement when rumors of Topher Grace being Venom. No, and look how things have changed in SM3 forum after that announcement.

Dark Phantom said:
I'm a little upset over the casting of Ledger as Joker, although I would have preferred Lachy Hulme or even Paul Bettany. But the main reason I'm mad is because Nolan just picked Ledger out of the blue and we had knowledge of this what so ever. Now I may sound whiny like, "Nolan should listen to the fans first." But thats not the case.

Nolan built up a reputation with Batman Begins. He listened to the fans for casting choices before making his own. He went over to DC comic writers to ask for their approval before making any neccassary changes. My point is, it seems that Nolan is taking advantage of his status as a director. Many fans put their faith into Nolan, accepting mostly anything that will be developed in BB2. But now its like a stab in the back. Its like Nolan doesn't care who the fans want as Joker.

Maybe Ledger was really good in his screentest and Nolan saw something. Maybe Ledger will prove me wrong and make a great Joker in the film. But Nolan should have kept the fans informed that Ledger was a candidate. Its like he's forgetting to do everything that made BB such a huge success.

I'm sorry. i just had to get that off my chest.

Nolan has been quoted as saying "everyone can expect what Bettany or [Hugo] Weaving will bring to the table as Joker. With Heath, everyone's going to be in for a big surprise"

GEDRedemption said:
Nolan has been quoted as saying "everyone can expect what Bettany or [Hugo] Weaving will bring to the table as Joker. With Heath, everyone's going to be in for a big surprise"

I'd love to know where you got that quote. Nolan hasn't even confirmed he's been cast, let alone commented on his reasons for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"