Robin - worst partner ever?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
Why on earth does Batman keep Robin as a partner? Look at the trouble he gets into....

Minutes after joining Batman, he gets the Batboat destroyed, gets captured by aqua-thugs, gets captured by Two-Face having beaten him, and needs rescuing again. On the plus side, he does help untie Chase.

In B&R, he disobeys orders (although he is right to), rushes off ahead and gets frozen by Freeze, argues with Batman about trust, argues about Ivy, stands around gazing at when he should be chasing baddies, disobeys orders again when chasing Freeze, gets his ass kicked by Bane, argues with Batman again, gets thrown in some goo, argues again, and almost rushes into Ivy's trap. Then he gets trapped in some water plants, needs a girl to help him with Freeze's computers, falls off the Observatory, makes a hash if saving Batgirl, needs Batgirl to save him, and can't defeat Bane without Batgirl's help.

He's a liability, not a superhero!

mind you that it was a shuchumaker film, so not much will make sense

That was a major problem with the arrival of Robin in the franchise: he was basically useless. That,s what happen when you make him a spoiled brat, instead of a young kid forced to grow because of a tragedy.

I hate defending Schumacher's Batman films but to be fair, Robin could have ignored Batman's advice and he could have easily killed Two-Face. But he chose to do the opposite and that's why he got caught. And he wasn't really useless in BF. Robin is the reason why Batman acheives salvation at the end of the film. He was able to prevent him from making the same mistakes he made. This completes the whole redemption theme.

ab38416 said:
I hate defending Schumacher's Batman films but to be fair, Robin could have ignored Batman's advice and he could have easily killed Two-Face. But he chose to do the opposite and that's why he got caught. And he wasn't really useless in BF. Robin is the reason why Batman acheives salvation at the end of the film. He was able to prevent him from making the same mistakes he made. This completes the whole redemption theme.

Okay, in a thematic, spiritual way, Robin helped Batman. But that's no help to the dark knight when he has to rescue his partner every five minutes.

"Robin, I came here to rescue Chase, and now I have to rescue you as well?! You're just lucky this sets up a symbolic dilemma for me to chose whether I'm truly Batman or Bruce Wayne."

"And you can catch my hand in the same way my brother did in the circus, Batman, indicating I have found a new family and they're not going to let me fall."

Reminds me of the spoof they did on Tiny Toons. Bat-duck and his partner Hamton, the Boy Hostage, whose symbol on his tunic was a bullseye.:yay:

Kevin Roegele said:
Okay, in a thematic, spiritual way, Robin helped Batman. But that's no help to the dark knight when he has to rescue his partner every five minutes.

Even then he didn't help. Using Schumacers thematics Batman was making the choice of whether he was straight or gay. Turns out he's Bi....

i never thought robin made a good partner, its like having spider-man and daredevil partners

Bathead said:
Reminds me of the spoof they did on Tiny Toons. Bat-duck and his partner Hamton, the Boy Hostage, whose symbol on his tunic was a bullseye.:yay:
Lol, I remember that! Hamton's side-kick name was even Decoy!

Hey, somebody has to get in trouble. Batman didn't have Lois and Jimmy to to be in a state of perpetual jeopardy.

But is it too much to ask to have a girl for those issues?

Well, there was always Batwoman and Batgirl.

Of course...Batman was usually trying to run away from them...

:(

Kevin Roegele said:
Why on earth does Batman keep Robin as a partner?
The cold lonely nights?

* Answer valid in Schumacher universe only.

El Payaso said:
But is it too much to ask to have a girl for those issues?
^ Apparently, at least in Schumacher-verse.

I always hated how they switched the relationship from the Father-Son of the books, to a Brother-Brother thing.

I have never been a robin fan, if you ask me. I know that he is important in the batman mithos, but he never get in the batman story. for me, batman is a man alone with his internal nighmares fighting the villains, to get a tennagger as his partner to fight criminal phsichos was a little nonsense for me.

ok now how did he the name Robin ? could some one let me in on that

Some theories. Someones says that he got the name because the bird robin, others because robin hood. Maybe both of them as true.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I always hated how they switched the relationship from the Father-Son of the books, to a Brother-Brother thing.

"That relationship was altered somewhat by the recasting of Batman. Val really changed the dynamics. It became more a big brother-little brother relationship. Originally, it was written a little bit younger, and with Michael Keaton it would have been more a father-son type thing." - Chris O'DonnellMichaOriginally, it was written a little bit younger, and have been more a father-son type of thing.''

ab38416 said:
"That relationship was altered somewhat by the recasting of Batman. Val really changed the dynamics. It became more a big brother-little brother relationship. Originally, it was written a little bit younger, and with Michael Keaton it would have been more a father-son type thing." - Chris O'DonnellMichaOriginally, it was written a little bit younger, and have been more a father-son type of thing.''

Would O'Donnell have been taller than Keaton? Because that simply would not do.

Sources say that Keaton is 5'10 and O'Donnell is 5'9.

patrickbateman said:
ok now how did he the name Robin ? could some one let me in on that

I thought his mom gave it to him cause he was a young flying graysen and she was like a robin when he was in the air.?.

IDK I got t ofind my stash when robin began in the Bat comics.:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"