RoboCop’ Returns

Bummer, At least MGM wants to work on it.

Hope it still supposedly feels like the original in style and tone!

This is the start of a running joke for him. I'm not mad at this at all. I just hope they won't just get a yes man.

LOL, and the anticipation for this movie dies.

Honestly, they should just let it stay dead. Robocop never should have had sequels or remakes anyway. It was primarily a satire and all they've tried to do since is turn it into a generic, sci-fi action franchise. Blomkamp's involvement had me somewhat interested but he hasn't made a great movie since District 9 so I was even a little wary of that. And now they'll probably just hire some hack like Len Wiseman.

Blomkamp I fear would have just made a fan film. I hated his Aliens 2 plans.

poor Neill. so close but now he needs to direct another horror movie. :rolleyes: If this was true he would drop out of that ''horror/thriller'' movie. its obvious the studio and him couldnt agree on the story.

What were they exactly? I never knew that he revealed what he wanted to do.

You can find the concept art online but essentially it looked like he wanted to make a sequel to Aliens, ignoring 3 and 4. And by sequel, it looked like a direct continuation.

I would have been super excited for his Robocop, if it were after District 9. But following Elysium and Chappie, nah, I don’t need another vehicle for Die Antwoord.

You can find the concept art online but essentially it looked like he wanted to make a sequel to Aliens, ignoring 3 and 4. And by sequel, it looked like a direct continuation.

I've got to admit, this whole "Just ignore the bad movies!" trope that's going on lately is starting to really annoy me. Like, I get the a new director might want to come in an not have to deal with the baggage of a few garbage sequels. But the studio still MADE that crap. And now they want to be like, "Uhhh... yeah, we ****ed up but remember how this series was once good? This movie will be like that." And I'm sorry, you'd don't get off that easy. Especially with a franchise like Alien or Terminator, which has had nothing BUT bad movies from the third one on. Like, I can accept a reboot easier because then you're essentially starting from scratch again. But this method of "make a sequel to some but not all of the movies" seems like a cheap ploy to placate longtime fans while ensnaring new ones.

And honestly, sometimes it doesn't even work anyway. Superman Returns was supposed to be the "true" sequel to Superman 1 & 2 and it ended up just being a boring rehash of the first film with an actor who had one billionth the charisma of Chris Reeve.

And why is that bad again?

Rickard pretty much summed it up. I don't like cherry picking. Aliens has this following too where when someone like Blomkamp makes a sequel to it, it comes off as more as trying to recreate the feeling of what you loved about something than wanting to do something new. I'm just sick of this generation of filmmakers attached to these properties they grew up with who would rather play with the toys they cherished again than deconstruct them.

We're having the opposite problem that we did a decade ago. Then the problem was you had filmmakers who didn't care or respect the material in a cynical way. Now you have filmmakers where they're all too much of fans in a cynical way. You need an in between like a Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson and Chris Nolan.

Yeah I knew you guys were going to go with that. And I don't disagree in general. However, I think it's different for Alien, because of two things:

1. All the main films in the saga have been pretty different from the previous one. I recently rewatched Alien and Aliens. I remember how jarring the experience was, with both films being so different, yet great in their own way. Then you get to 3 and 4. So making more out of 25% of the Alien pie was fine by me, even if Blomkamp was going to go super reverential to the past. I'm sure he would have made his own movie, though.

2. Newt and Hicks. As you know, those characters got unceremoniously killed off at the beginning of Alien 3. That was a slap in the face to Aliens. Blomkamp's Alien was a way to give those characters a proper continuation, or a proper closure, which I think they earned.

And no one's taking away the other movies. If you want to watch 3 and 4, go for it. You could have ignored this Blomkamp film or not. Different levels of canon can be a thing. This was going to be for the fans who wanted to see these characters again.

Is anyone really surprised by this?

source.gif

Yeah I knew you guys were going to go with that. And I don't disagree in general. However, I think it's different for Alien, because of two things:

1. All the main films in the saga have been pretty different from the previous one. I recently rewatched Alien and Aliens. I remember how jarring the experience was, with both films being so different, yet great in their own way. Then you get to 3 and 4. So making more out of 25% of the Alien pie was fine by me, even if Blomkamp was going to go super reverential to the past. I'm sure he would have made his own movie, though.

2. Newt and Hicks. As you know, those characters got unceremoniously killed off at the beginning of Alien 3. That was a slap in the face to Aliens. Blomkamp's Alien was a way to give those characters a proper continuation, or a proper closure, which I think they earned.

And no one's taking away the other movies. If you want to watch 3 and 4, go for it. You could have ignored this Blomkamp film or not. Different levels of canon can be a thing. This was going to be for the fans who wanted to see these characters again.

I see what you mean, but in one sense, what's done is done.

I don't disagree with your points. I just disagree with them used in the context of your argument. I just disagree with the idea of making a movie because it didn't go someone's way, no matter how many people may agree on it. Combine that with using similar aesthetics of Aliens (I agree it's debatable how much Blomkamp would have made his own, but judging from the concept art and his past films, Cameron and those 80's films looks to be an influence, think it would have been more Aliens), appeasing the fans, it's like one's own selfish narrative. None of the ingredients add up to something justified and worthwhile for a filmmaker's vision and reason to make a whole new movie like that. It all just amounts to something closer to a fan film.

Last edited:
'Robocop Returns' Lands 'Little Monsters' Director Abe Forsythe (Exclusive)

Dead or alive, Abe Forsythe is coming with Robocop.

MGM has tapped rising filmmaker Forsythe, the helmer of the Lupita Nyong’o zombie comedy Little Monsters, to direct Robocop Returns.

Forsyth will re-write the script penned by Rhodes.

Robocop is major step in terms of scale for Forsythe, who was an actor before turning to directing shorts and TV shows in his native Down Under. Monsters was a low-budget indie co-financed by Screen Australia. The movie gained strong notices when it bowed in October in a limited release before streaming on Hulu.

Please be better than the 2014 abomination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"