Ron Howard's Rush With Chris Hemsworth

Whoa, let's slow down a bit. I like Hemsworth and I believe he's a great talent but he's just starting out. Ledger had Candy, Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight. Chris has yet to give us an exceptional lead/supporting performance yet.

Hopefully Rush will be his coming out party for award season.
at this point in his career he's better than ledger was when he started out. i thought Ledger was awful in all the movies i saw him in until brokeback, and just serviceable in the patriot

at this point in his career he's better than ledger was when he started out. i thought Ledger was awful in all the movies i saw him in until brokeback, and just serviceable in the patriot

To be fair a lot of actors go through this stagnant stage till their career booms with a great performance. Usually it happens when an actor doesn't want to be typecasted; be it comedic or a pretty boy (Pitt, Depp, DiCapiro).

A great example is Ryan Gosling. Sure The Notebook made him popular but it wasn't till Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine, and Drive that changed his career.

I think the actors/actresses who are hyper-aware and initiative of their careers, willing to take risks, are the ones who have long standing careers.

actually for me it was The Believer(2001) by Gosling that sold me on his acting ability
The-Believer.jpg

^^^Yep, The Believer was where I first took notice of Gosling, too. Actually, he started taking interesting roles just as soon as he escaped TV, with The Believer, Murder by Numbers and United States of Leland all coming before The Notebook. Hemsworth is a good, charismatic actor, but at this point it seems pretty clear to me that he's not a Gosling type. Even Heath Ledger had more dramatic roles early on like Monster's Ball, The Patriot and Four Feathers. Chris doesn't need to be like them to have a long, respectable career, though. He could be more like a Bradley Cooper who tends to be more of a "movie star" but every now and then surprises everyone with a good, serious performance.

Last edited:
Times were also a bit different for actors in the latter half of the decade vs. the first. Notice how many of Hemsworth roles have been in genre films. Several of his movies that have come out since Thor were actually filmed long before including Cabin in the Woods and the Red Dawn remake. Before the time those were filmed, in 08 or so he was cast as George Kirk in Star Trek (The ST09 commentary is somewhat hilarious with Abrams, trying and failing to remember his name and ultimately dismissing the point).

In comparison, in the late 90's and early aughts the playing field was a bit different for young actors. There seemed to be more romantic comedies and teen dramas, enough so that people can assemble things like this featuring pretty much the entirely of the 30-40 year old cast of the The Dark Knight Trilogy:
[YT]4BjTsjgk3Lg[/YT]

While teen comedies and the like do not obviously point to more drama based careers, they at the very least offer a different path than having to build your name and hone your acting chops through action films.

As a formula one nut... I'm most definitely looking forward to this movie.

Ron Howard retweeted this on Twitter

tumblr_mkuha1cyhd1s9141co1_500.jpg

Mayby we'll get a trailer soon.

looks great

also the films looks beautiful and just checked the cinematographer is Anthony Dod Mantle who has done pretty much all of danny boyle's films

Last edited:
This just might be my most anticipated film of 2013. I'm a huge F1 fan and this particular era and rivalry is so rich and full of great stuff that the film has potential to be something really special. James Hunt especially is one of the most interesting driver personas ever and I'm just thrilled to see how Hemsworth portrays him. Very confident about the film after seeing the trailer.

Hmm, not into racing but at least this isn't about Nascar. Trailer looks fine. I may see this just to get a better view of Hemsworth's acting range.

I am a big F1 guy, and this look incredible. Hemsworth looks right up for it, and the racing actually looks like racing.

Had no interest in this until that trailer, looks great.

great trailer. i hope the movie will be good. i hope its more about Niki Lauda.

I know nothing about racing and don't want to know but the movie looks decent.

Looks good. Most will see this for Hemsworth but I'm all about Brühl. I heard that he's amazing in this and can be an awards contender.

I am a big F1 guy, and this look incredible. Hemsworth looks right up for it, and the racing actually looks like racing.
A big fan here too, and I've got to hand it to Bruhl, that's almost a pitch-perfect Lauda he's doing. There's nothing quite like the sound of those engines from back in the day, and it's nice to see the driver's briefings and such being included. Hope the film doesn't go too far for the "spectacle" during the racing scenes and keeps it grounded enough (as the trailer does actually suggest), as the racing/incidents that season were spectacular enough :up:

Looks amazing, great trailer. This makes me much more excited for the film. Especially the racing looks terrific. And Brühl seems to be a perfect Lauda.

A big fan here too, and I've got to hand it to Bruhl, that's almost a pitch-perfect Lauda he's doing. There's nothing quite like the sound of those engines from back in the day, and it's nice to see the driver's briefings and such being included. Hope the film doesn't go too far for the "spectacle" during the racing scenes and keeps it grounded enough (as the trailer does actually suggest), as the racing/incidents that season were spectacular enough :up:

:bow:

This is digital photography done right, and actually adhering to its unique visuals that film lacks (each medium has their strengths). Unlike '42' which looks ugly.

The cinematography here is obviously digits but its hard to explain what makes it so because maybe the way the colors and lighting are oborbed creating a cool look Thats akin to the way 'Drive' looks.

Great trailer! This movie wasnt in my radar, until now :woot:

Seems like Ron Howard is trying to capture some of the acclaimed Senna movie vibe.

Formula One was always ripe for Hollywood with all the great rivalry drama throughout the years.

Last edited:
Seems like Ron Howard is trying to capture some of the acclaimed Senna movie vibe.

Formula One was always ripe for Hollywood with all the great rivalry drama throughout the years.
you know they are doing an actual movie on him too starring rodrigo santoro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"