• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Its already an underwhelming entry for the dceu (based on RT ratings). But it being rotten is definitely going to be another strike for the dceu as a whole. Its too bad, I really liked the first WW film.

Its already an underwhelming entry for the dceu (based on RT ratings). But it being rotten is definitely going to be another strike for the dceu as a whole. Its too bad, I really liked the first WW film.

The sad part is that you can't even use box office numbers to counter the score. If this score was pre-covid and the movie went on to make over $900M, it would ease the pain a little.

The sad part is that you can't even use box office numbers to counter the score. If this score was pre-covid and the movie went on to make over $900M, it would ease the pain a little.
True. The old markers of success were RT scores and box office. Without the box office this will be a tough pill to swallow for WB execs.

I mean, is the RT score really underwhelming?

MoS - 56%
BvS - 28%
SS - 26%
WW - 93%
JL - 40%
Aquaman - 65%
Shazam! - 90%
BoP - 78%
WW84 - 67% at time of post

Even at 67%, the movie currently has the like 4th highest DCEU score. So, is it really that underwhelming for the DCEU? Seems more like par for the course to me.

Last edited:
I do think there's too many sites being Rotten Tomatoes certified.
I was scrolling the site and every other reviewer seemed to be just some nobody blogger. It really is cringey.

I'm international so haven't seen the film because I refuse to pirate. I really want to like the film because I like Gal, Patty and Pascal.

It's getting review bombed.
Review bombed perhaps the wrong phrase but the genre in general attracts a ludicrous review count compared to others. They'll go back under their rock until the next tentpole comes out which allows a hot take.

Review bombed perhaps the wrong phrase but the genre in general attracts a ludicrous review count compared to others. They'll go back under their rock until the next tentpole comes out which allows a hot take.

Then again the first WW movie gathered 461 reviews and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

Then again the first WW movie gathered 461 reviews and nobody seems to have a problem with that.
I'd have a problem with it yes. Be it a positive or negative review every other second review seems to be from some unaccomplished randomer. It's a mess of a site yet we regularly have threads dedicated to the meter when they should he dismissed.

I'd have a problem with it yes. Be it a positive or negative review every other second review seems to be from some unaccomplished randomer. It's a mess of a site yet we regularly have threads dedicated to the meter when they should he dismissed.

Maybe things have changed but I remember when becoming an RT critic wasn't, in fact, that easy.

That's why I've been advocating for people to look at Top Critics scores on RT and not just All Critics as you can see with my posts on the first page of this thread.

Top Critics definitely matters more now that being an RT Critics seems to be a pretty low bar apparently.

That's why I've been advocating for people to look at Top Critics scores on RT and not just All Critics as you can see with my posts on the first page of this thread.

Top Critics definitely matters more now that being an RT Critics seems to be a pretty low bar apparently.

In that case, Aquaman and Joker are both rotten?

Wait is that really what early test screening reactions were saying a year ago??

EqCDLg-VoAA4tH5

New RT consensus guys:

"Wonder Woman 1984 struggles with sequel overload, but still offers enough vibrant escapism to satisfy fans of the franchise and its classic central character."

After watching it, I'm not surprise that the score is dropping. 60% range is the right spot for this movie, IMO.

After watching it, I'm not surprise that the score is dropping. 60% range is the right spot for this movie, IMO.

It will go below 60% if it maintains its current trajectory.

At the moment it’s reviews are coming in around 45% fresh.

I know its a consensus percentage and not a rating average but the optics of 60%, I don't think fits the true quality of the film. I thought when it was in the 70 percentile range was about right for optics.

Kind of surprised how some critics straight up hate it with 1 or 2 star reviews. But hey fair enough I suppose.

Honestly I don’t pay attention to Rotten Tomatoes anymore. That’s a mess of a site and honestly they are really really critical of DC (see Joker, Aquaman, Man of Steel and now WW84). All those films have lower scores than they deserve. It’s like whenever they go into a DC film they look at what they hate and choose to be negative, compared to Marvel where reviewers go in looking for what they loved about it... whatever.

Anyway I prefer the first WW, this one isn’t bad but it’s not as good as the first one. Definitely needs more action. I think they should get another director for the third film.

I think the film warrants a rating in the 60-70s range because it's pretty average with some good/great scenes sprinkled in.

Needing 200+ reviews to come to that conclusion seems a bit absurd though. Even the first WW film having over 400 reviews to "prove" it was good seems ridiculous. I've never noticed the total number of reviews before this film, I just looked at the percentage, but I think a total percentage from just top critics would be enough and would still result in a similar rating to what we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"