Justice League The Justice League Rotten Tomatoes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely open to you being right, but that's the feeling I've gotten over the last three or four days of seeing reaction to JL from far and wide.

However anyone wants to spin it, RT is the single largest source people seem to go to about movies, and with their highly egotistical move to 'unveil' the JL score when it suits them shows they're fully aware of how much sway they hold. They're seen (again, from my perspective) less and less as a review aggregator and more of a separate authority.

Their model of rating movies (which I personally think is a little disjointed) is taken as gospel, when you aggregate where people get their information from and who they pay attention to.

Cinemablend is predicting 30% on RT and they seem to have a fantastic record. Oh boy...

I don't think that many movie goes see RT is God. I don't really see evidence of that at all. I think that's just a misconception that we who are on the internet a lot think

EDIT: I'm not saying movie goers don't use it or that's it's not important to them. I just don't see evidence that it's the end all be all for movie goers.

I think the amount of influence RT has in entertainment right now is staggering. Large portions of marketing campaigns are tailored towards the tomatometer. It's not just movies; it's TV now too.

I think RT scores even influence other RT scores. RT doesn't even act as an aggregator anymore, but a trusted authority in and of itself. "Is ______ the best reviewed CBM....EVER?!?!"

I don't fid it all that surprising. An aggregator is often a useful tool when you have a few hundred individual pieces of information and they got in there early.

So now the embargo is lifting just before release? Uh oh...

My big issue with it is RT's actual rating system seems skewed and designed to be ambiguous when one wants it to be, and also leaves way too much opportunity for discrepancy between what is in text a 'good' review and what may end up being a rotten rating, all of which is likely not completely separate from the herd mentality an aggregator will end up creating.

RT is just the effect of a bigger issue - that 'critics' these days are, in large part, unprofessional attention seeking people who would do anything for clicks (popularity, money). Years ago I used to read reviewers but nowadays I don't even believe they are honest anymore. Most just wants to get the clicks so if they liked something, they will write they loved it and the other way around. And of course the whole wave of those whose shtick is having opinion that is different than expressed by the majority. And that majority is usually afraid to voice certain criticism not to be labeled as something which would take away the clicks.

Film criticism, when it comes to people getting paid for it, is mostly a sad circus nowadays.

I've said RT needs a third tier of scoring in between fresh and rotten. Green = Rotten, Red = Fresh, Yellow = Stale.

I think the amount of influence RT has in entertainment right now is staggering. Large portions of marketing campaigns are tailored towards the tomatometer. It's not just movies; it's TV now too.

I think RT scores even influence other RT scores.

I had a chat with few friends months ago regarding their 'cinema compass'

all of them expressed that before they decide to have some fun in the cinema, their practice(most of time) is ------ surfing on local cinema website to see if any movie(under "NowShowing" category) catch their interests, then run the movie titles in RT website to find out their rt score (two of them only pay attention to the RT critic scores, one checks bothRT critic scores & RT audience scores), in most occasion,they won't purchase the tickets if the RT score is not good.

PS: none of them has any enthusiasm for comic book or CB movie

I've said RT needs a third tier of scoring in between fresh and rotten. Green = Rotten, Red = Fresh, Yellow = Stale.

Haha, stale still sounds pretty bad. Something along the lines of average might work. Although I guess the difference between fresh and certified fresh might be something along the lines of what you want?

Haha, stale still sounds pretty bad. Something along the lines of average might work. Although I guess the difference between fresh and certified fresh might be something along the lines of what you want?

I think fresh and certified fresh is kinda splitting hairs. I think the binary nature of the RT system is problematic for films that are neither all that great nor terribly bad. I don't really care what it should be labeled but I think there's value in having that middle level on their scoring scale. In fact Hollywood might like it better if there was a ternary system.

Rotten Tomato

that bloody /idiotic 'either fresh or rotten' concepts

only a sith deals in absolutes

Last edited:
I think fresh and certified fresh is kinda splitting hairs. I think the binary nature of the RT system is problematic for films that are neither all that great nor terribly bad. I don't really care what it should be labeled but I think there's value in having that middle level on their scoring scale. In fact Hollywood might like it better if there was a ternary system.

If they and the critics are up for it then I say go for it. I'd definitely prefer it, although for some it might take away part of the instant simplicity of the current Tomatometer and average.

I’ve said before that you need a middle ground and it should be automated whether it’s rotten, fresh or whatever the inbetween is based on a score out of 5 or 10. It’s one reason why I can’t take RTs seriously, it’s very flawed.

If they and the critics are up for it then I say go for it. I'd definitely prefer it, although for some it might take away part of the instant simplicity of the current Tomatometer and average.

Green, yellow and red ratings are pretty easy to understand IMO.

Green, yellow and red ratings are pretty easy to understand IMO.

Oh, would you still have the same aggregate stats of just a Tomatometer and an average? If so then there's no added complication even if the individual underlying reviews differentiate to take account of yellow/amber reviews. I'd assumed you'd want an extra overall stat which is not as nice to use for an at a glance figure for many.

RT is just the effect of a bigger issue - that 'critics' these days are, in large part, unprofessional attention seeking people who would do anything for clicks (popularity, money). Years ago I used to read reviewers but nowadays I don't even believe they are honest anymore. Most just wants to get the clicks so if they liked something, they will write they loved it and the other way around. And of course the whole wave of those whose shtick is having opinion that is different than expressed by the majority. And that majority is usually afraid to voice certain criticism not to be labeled as something which would take away the clicks.

Film criticism, when it comes to people getting paid for it, is mostly a sad circus nowadays.

Exactly.
I used to love reading critics but now they're just about clicks and negativity brings more clicks, more money, so now the headlines I see the most are like "Here why this failed".

Because they need those clicks so bad, there is no more balance in most of the critics. It's either "The best movie of all the time!" or "Worst movie of the year".

Cinemablend is predicting 30% on RT and they seem to have a fantastic record. Oh boy...

Their other DCEU predictions :
Suicide Squad - 75%
BvS - 55%
Wonder Woman - 80%
Man of Steel - 89%

FANTASTIC record indeed...

Exactly.
I used to love reading critics but now they're just about clicks and negativity brings more clicks, more money, so now the headlines I see the most are like "Here why this failed".

Because they need those clicks so bad, there is no more balance in most of the critics. It's either "The best movie of all the time!" or "Worst movie of the year".

I honestly don't trust anyone who is getting paid for this :funny: I just stick to reading reviews by regular folks in blogosphere and on letterboxd, they are honest and write simply because they want to not because they need to

YES. They've gotten a taste of the power they have with their reactions and reviews with BvS, SS and WW.

Makes me wonder if this will end up in the 40 or 50 range on RT but audiences love it and it does 900 mill + at the BO.
Fan reactions seem very positive so far.

Their other DCEU predictions :
Suicide Squad - 75%
BvS - 55%
Wonder Woman - 80%
Man of Steel - 89%

FANTASTIC indeed...

96% for JL confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics