• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

In that case, Aquaman and Joker are both rotten?

I'm not saying I agree they are rotten, I'm just saying Top Critics (which are really the main trades like Variety, Wall Street Journal etc.) are always needed to be taken into account and are more of value now because the bar to become RT certified is much lower now than say 8 years ago.

It's interesting you bring up Joker. Critics, including and maybe even especially ones who work for the main trades, have certain tastes which are not suited for that kind of film. Joker viewed the world quite differently from them. I'm not saying critics are biased but like everyone they do have their preferences.

I agree with the critic rating more often than I agree with the top critic rating.

So I don't buy into the idea that so-called top critics are more credible.
Yeah, especially since there are actually very good critics who aren’t top critics who’s stuff is every bit as good as the so-called ‘top critics’ from the trades.

I liked this movie but I can’t fault certain critics for slamming it, especially since the first one (IMO) raised the bar for superhero films or at least felt very epic and unique. It felt like a perfect mashup of a WWI film, a Greek mythology story AND a superhero film, and it all worked. I know some people (Jenkins included) had issues with the ending but I think on the whole, it worked incredibly well.

WW84 was a fun adventure but I do think it relied a little too hard on 80s nostalgia and leaned in a bit too much to the cheesier elements. I think it works on its own but if you had just watched the first one and then watched this, it might be pretty jarring. I get that Patty wanted to make a different kind of film but maybe she tried a bit too hard to go in the other direction? I’m not sure.

Hot Take: All of the hate being directed at this film should have also been directed at BoP & Captain Marvel. Two movies that should be well below their current RT scores.

I normally don’t put too much stock in rotten tomatoes scores but it’s kind of crazy it started out with like a 94% fresh score with a decent amount of reviews aggregated but then plummeted all the way to barely fresh with 66% now. Can anyone here think of another example of this happening?

I normally don’t put too much stock in rotten tomatoes scores but it’s kind of crazy it started out with like a 94% fresh score with a decent amount of reviews aggregated but then plummeted all the way to barely fresh with 66% now. Can anyone here think of another example of this happening?

Nope. Never seen anything like this. It's not as if WW84 was at an 89% with 30-40 reviews. It was at an 89% with over 90 reviews.

I have, but I cannot give you any example off hand. I can tell you Captain America The First Avenger started out rotten, but then shot like a cannon to a like 78%. I remember that as a Cap fan, but in general no, this has happened before.

The CinemaScore for the movie has been released. It scored a B+

EqMcYZOXMAECyAr

This is lower than the original Wonder Woman’s solid ‘A’ CinemaScore score. Though right in line with Birds Of Prey, Suicide Squad, and the theatrical cut of Justice League’s scores.

Joker started out like 80% and dropped into the 60s. That's the only other time I can think of, but I didn't follow other films like I do CBMs

In my opinion, anything below an 'A' or 'A-' CinemaScore is bad for a superhero film.

22 out of 23 MCU movies have A- or higher. B+ is definitively alarming that public is as mixed as fans and critics are.

I have, but I cannot give you any example off hand. I can tell you Captain America The First Avenger started out rotten, but then shot like a cannon to a like 78%. I remember that as a Cap fan, but in general no, this has happened before.
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER is now 80%.

Joker started out like 80% and dropped into the 60s. That's the only other time I can think of, but I didn't follow other films like I do CBMs

Oh s*** i had no idea Joker’s score was that low. I couldve sworn it was in the 80s.

Joker is one of those cases where I do believe critics walked into it with an agenda. Just my humble opinion, but I thought that movie was just great filmmaking and I don’t even really think of it as a comic book movie.

Ironically, WW2 with Patty Jenkins is going to end with a slightly worse RT critic and audience score than the Thor 2 movie she was initially attached to direct.

Joker is one of those cases where I do believe critics walked into it with an agenda. Just my humble opinion, but I thought that movie was just great filmmaking and I don’t even really think of it as a comic book movie.

I didn't really care for it but yeah. From the very start there was this narrative that Joker is an irresponsible film that emboldens incels and white nationalists.

I didn't really care for it but yeah. From the very start there was this narrative that Joker is an irresponsible film that emboldens incels and white nationalists.

Which was a rather stupid take because anyone could relate to Jokers story and be embolden as well. Critics definitely had an agenda then.

Just like there is Oscar bait films, there exists ones which pander to particular ideas to get artificially inflated critics reviews.

Joker was pretty much a middle finger to the media in general. They are hardly going to give a positive review to a film that itself is very critical of their industry.

Ironically, WW2 with Patty Jenkins is going to end with a slightly worse RT critic and audience score than the Thor 2 movie she was initially attached to direct.

This is going rotten. Easily another 100 reviews to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"