Ruby Rose IS Batwoman

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Speed Force, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

Might as well give her a thread

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/batwoman-cw-ruby-rose-1202897755/

[​IMG]

2. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Well cant wait to see her debut thats for sure.

Getting rid of Kates military background is a no no from me.

3. Jh7058622

Jh7058622 Well-Known Member

Actually not bad casting but the description sounds horrendous.

4. DoomRulz

DoomRulz A guy that comes and goes

Pass. I never understood why there's so much hype surrounding her. Whenever people bring her up in conversation, all they ever talk about is her sexuality as if it means something. She had a minor role in OITNB which really, was about her going topless (not that I'm complaining)...and not much else.

What's the big deal with her? Also, I'm concerned that Kate being a lesbian is going to be focal point of the character. Call me paranoid, bigoted, whatever, but she is sooooooooo much more than that. I can't speak for the Batwoman comics but reading her in Rebirth's Detective Comics, I honestly don't recall a time her being a lesbian was ever mentioned, much less used as a plot point.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. Jh7058622

Jh7058622 Well-Known Member

I hate when a character is reduced to who they're sleeping with. People on the X-Men boards constantly talking about the MCU needing to make sure Bobby Iceman is gay for "inclusion" is so...:whatever:

Then they go on to say how important it is by pretty much saying they need him to be the token. Yeah nothing says inclusion like shoehorning storylines.

6. NHawk19

NHawk19 insert witty comment

They hired a lesbian to play a lesbian. It's a good call. Plus they don't have to hear everyone shout about how they hired a straight actress, rather than give an LGBTQ part to someone in the LGBTQ community.

Her edge and portrayals onscreen make me think she'll fit this version of Batwoman pretty well. Hopefully they'll actually make her Batwoman, rather than focus on lesbian, and downplay the competent superhero component.

7. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

That was my favorite part of the comic, along with her relationship with her dad.

8. Shinobi Shaw

Shinobi Shaw The Black King of THC

Always thought she was cute since Orange is the New Black, but she can’t act.

Then again it’s just the CW.

9. legendkillin

legendkillin Well-Known Member

Never watched Orange is the New Black. Only movie ever saw her in was John Wick and her character was like a mute. She has a bad agent like Chopra because she was in XXX and now that Meg movie. Can't really drag myself to see those.

Probably just stick to watching Flash on CW. If they do a crossover I will see her but until that it is a no.

10. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

The MCU are currently afraid of including LGBT characters in their films. Its best they not include Iceman in their MCU film until they are ready

11. edwardc

edwardc Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of RR she is cute but this just doesn't seem to be the role for her.

12. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I wish they cast someone else instead of her. It's like she's the only well known lesbian of this age range who might do the CW so they got her by default. Were there not any unknowns who were lesbians and were better actresses?

13. cheungcheung

cheungcheung Well-Known Member

Perfect casting. Shocked CW was able to get her. Thought she was more interested in movies these days...

14. Thome216

Thome216 Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this! The only thing I ever saw her in was in JW2, and even though she didn't have any dialogue, her presence was still sharp and unforgettable. At least for me.

Don't like the thought of them removing her military background though. Where was this stated?

15. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

This!

I thought I'd never seen Ruby Rose act but apparently she's in the last Resident Evil movie. She obviously didn't make much of an impression on me. Hoping she's more memorable as BW.

16. unholyrevenger

unholyrevenger DC is Doomed by its fans

No where, the blurb states "highly trained street fighter" and as usual people assume if it is not explicitly stated, then they've obviously changed it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  17. Fincher

Fincher Too far gone

I mean, to be fair, Guile is both military and a street fighter.

18. jolldan

jolldan Well-Known Member

Im on the fence not seen her act in anything really so will wait till I see a trailer at least till I pass judgement.

19. haephestus

haephestus Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to seeing how Ruby Rose does as Kate / Batwoman. I’m not overly impressed by Ruby’s past roles, the few that I’ve seen, but I think that Kate is somewhat similar to Ruby’s real personality so it shouldn’t be too challenging. And she’s extremely charismatic.

I do wonder what they’ll do about her accent. I’d prefer Kate and her father to have been stationed at a US base in Australia for part of her childhood to explain her accent, instead of having her do a poor fake accent. I also hope that she hits the gym to build some muscle. Batwoman doesn’t have superpowers and is meant to be an extremely skilled and powerful fighter - I’m over very thin, normal, human women being shown to have extreme strength. If the male actors are required to beef up, why not the female actors (with the noted exception of Jennifer Garner in Alias, Charlie’s Theron in Mad Max, Linda Hamilton in T2, Renee O’Connor in Xena: Warrior Princess, etc).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  20. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Yeah she really needs to hit the gym. She seems a bit too thin at the moment. Maybe she'll have her own salmon ladder.

21. Primal Slayer

I'm sure she'll go to the gym. Though I wouldn't expect major changes to her look. Caity Lotz has plenty of muscle but it doesn't show that much and she can actually kick 99% of her costars buts irl.

22. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

She's the only actress built like Gina Carano.

23. Primal Slayer

Most of them are pretty good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. WhoMani

WhoMani Well-Known Member

That's what I'm worried about and I feel that the writers of the show think that her homosexuality is the only thing that defines her. Reading some of the Batwoman comics Kate doesn't consider being a lesbian to be a major thing, I think her father who was in the military didn't have a major problem with it and I have a weird feeling the show would do the opposite of that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  25. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

People here seem really worried that a gay character is going to be gay.