Rumored Marvel Reboot: Discussion

CaptainWagner

I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (he/him)
Reaction score
This is my first time starting a thread here, hopefully I'm doing this right:

For some time now, there have been rumors that Marvel is planning to reboot their comic universe, much like DC's New 52 reboot. So, what are your thoughts about the possibility of a reboot? Do you think it should happen or not? What would you want to stay the same? What would you want to change? Discuss below:

It won't happen, otherwise, Ultimate Marvel wouldn't have been shot.

I doubt it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It'll never happen. DC does it every few decades and it's expected now but Marvel never has and most stories these days rely on the history. Besides, they have the UU for the reboot ideas.

I can't imagine how they'd reboot it in the first place. People are already annoyed when they rebooted Spider-mans marriage away so going back to the start would be horrendous.

Personally I love the history of the MU and that at pretty much any time they can dig back thirty years and pull out some old character and give him a modern upgrade.

I don't believe it. I also don't subscribe to a lot of Marvel conspiracy theories. Fans are always going on about how Marvel is sabotaging the X-men since they don't own the movie rights. I just don't see it.

I don't think it's all that far fetched. The outcome of the Incursion storyline in New Avengers worries me.

I doubt Marvel would fully reboot their entire comic line although more soft reboots like they did with Spider-Man in One More Day I wouldn't be surprised to see.

Marvel doesn't need to reboot their comic line. The history that the characters have been built upon is part of the appeal to many readers.

I don't really think they need a reboot, but I wouldn't really mind one. But they seem to be making a big deal about "reality-ending events" lately. I think Marvel's history is kind of double-edged sword. When handled well, it offers chances for great stories. When handled poorly, it starts to become an overly-complicated mess that makes things confusing for new readers. At least they alleviated some of all that with Marvel Now, though the X-Men is particular is still a big mess, in my opinion.

No need to reboot, even soft reboots like Peter Parker's deleted marriage are horrendous, i like the characters growing up, even Spider-Man having his identity revealed in Civil War opened the door for plenty of new stories.

I'll stick with Marvel regardless of how they proceed (I'm too heavily invested at this point.) I'd prefer they keep the continuity and modify it accordingly, as DC's attempt at rebooting has been a mess. The New 52 has spawned some superb stories and artwork, but trying to figure out the continuity is headache inducing.

I don't see why they would need to. There aren't really all that many problems with Marvel continuity that would demand a massive line-wide reboot. And not only do they not need to do a New 52, but Marvel have already quite decisively shown you can create new jumping-on points for readers and create the sense of a fresh start without resorting to a reboot, with their Marvel NOW initiative playing like a much more effective version of DC's New 52, one that has creatively reinvigorated Marvel while DC flounders. Marvel seem to be doing just fine without doing anything as crazy as a reboot.

I think that instead of rebooting, Marvel just needs to "slow down" a bit. Not every story needs to be a big world-ending crossover with massive continuity consequences.

Sometimes an issue can be "here's two Avengers (or two X-Men) on a date and whoops something wacky happens!"

Some possible suggestions would be to make companywide events occur every few years, instead of every few months; stop the double shipping on the books; and thin out the X and Avengers books.A suggested lineup:
-Avengers
-New Avengers (or if they are done with the Illuminati, return to the street level concept from Bendis' books.)
-Uncanny X-Men
-X-Factor
-X-Force

So are we to assume the [blackout]Death and Return of of Wolverine[/blackout] could be just the first half and not get retconned in this timeline?
I highly doubt it

Last edited:
I do not believe you spelled "blackout" correctly.

I think that instead of rebooting, Marvel just needs to "slow down" a bit. Not every story needs to be a big world-ending crossover with massive continuity consequences.

Sometimes an issue can be "here's two Avengers (or two X-Men) on a date and whoops something wacky happens!"

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Marvel relaunches most of its comics every 25 issues these days which they use as starting points for new readers.

The time travel and parallel universe stuff is what leads to a lot of complication. If both companies toned down on some of the excessive complications that come from telling those type of stories it would be easier for new comic fans to follow.

On the one hand, I don't see it happening since it would be so obvious a copy of what DC is doing, and the sales bump DC got from the reboot has died down a bit.

On the other hand, it really does feel like all the stuff about how damaging time travel has been, plus the incursion stories, make it feel like they're building to something about universal upheaval. Also, seriously, how many references to the Crisis on Infinite Earths has Hickman made?

Not gonna happen. DC got tons of crap for it, and Marvel will get ten times more crap for it. They would be retconning over 50 years of continuity, something even DC hasn't done.

I think I'd have to take my ball and go home if that happened. I'd become an Image guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"