The Hypothetical DCEU Reboot Discussion Thread

Rorschach2012

Batman is my Dad
Reaction score
With talk of Affleck leaving altogether, a reboot or soft reboot of the DCEU is seeming less out of the question.

Personally, I've enjoyed the DCEU films well enough, but I can admit that they are not close to reaching their potential. None of the performances have wowed me and none of the characterizations have been so perfect that I would be upset about recasting anyone. Past iterations of these characters have been done better (Bale's Batman, Ledger's Joker, Stamp's Zod, Reeve's Superman, Rosenbaum's Lex, etc; )

None of these interpretations have really stuck. Something is not quite right with this universe. It's not so bad that it requires rebooting, the DCEU is just sort of "there" and not really resonating with audiences.

The critical slaughtering of the DCEU really speaks for itself. Sadly, the visuals are arguably the most successful aspect of the DCEU. Characterization and story have clearly come second to visual aesthetic.

This is NOT A BASH THE DCEU thread. The intention of this thread is to discuss the pros and cons of a reboot or soft reboot.

I am a lifelong DC fan, who has enjoyed the DCEU, but I realize these movies are not reaching their potential. I think the DCEU would benefit from a complete overhaul.

This thread should be a place for unsatisfied DC fans to vent their frustrations, and discuss how they would approach a rebooted or soft rebooted DCEU.

I'll start. I think WB should start small. Focus on individual movies to provide a strong foundation, and then earn their way to the big Marvel style event movies. Marvel is so successful because they took things slow, and let their brand grow organically. Dc should also embrace the things that set them apart from Marvel. One good thing about the DCEU is their focus on their villains.

If they're going to recast Batman and Superman I say they give Ryan Gosling and Jake Gyllenhaal a couple of blank checks.

Bottom line, I am ok with a continuation of the DCEU or a reboot. The DCEU is acceptable but not so amazing that a reboot is a crazy notion.

Also, Bruce Timm's DCAU should be the main inspiration for just about everything

So yeah discuss away! Would you want a reboot? Who would you put in charge? Who would you cast?

I would love to have Superman rebooted to make him more inline with the Tyler Hoechlin version on Supergirl. Plus Lex Luthor to make him more like the Michael Rosenbaum version on Smallville.

I'm not sure anything can be done with Joker because he is always going to be compared to Heath Ledger. I guess make him more of a maniac and less of a love sick puppy and maybe Jared Leto
would still work. It wasn't really the actor that was at fault, just the way he was written.

Other than that I am fine with the rest of the characters just the way they are. Gal Gadot makes a perfectly serviceable Wonder Woman and Margot Robbie is fantastic as Harley Quinn and
Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.

^We don't know that Gadot will make a great Wonder Woman yet.

As for me, I would focus on smaller properties for now. Master the smaller franchises first, and leave Batman, Superman, and the Justice League for later.

I guess I'd reboot The Flash. Keep Ezra Miller in the role (have him play the straight-laced Barry as opposed to the Wally/Garrick hybrid he's playing now) and bring back Rick Famuyiwa. Sarah Bolger as Iris and Cap Cold as the main villain with meta powers.

How many times can you reboot this thing though?

I don't think they can. If Affleck leaves, they'll simply need to recast the part and press onward. Rebooting the franchise after just introducing the characters doesn't seem feasible to me. Even if they wait five years, what are they going to do? Have another introduction to a new Superman? Do Wonder Woman's origin all over again with a new actress?

If they did reboot it, I think it's just about hiring the right people this time. The sort that understand that not all of the characters should be adapted into cinematic Batman types, least of all Superman.

I think pressing forward might be the way to go, but we shall see. If it means recasting, so be it.

I like Affleck's Batman, but other actors could do well in the role too.

Even if they wait five years, what are they going to do? Have another introduction to a new Superman? Do Wonder Woman's origin all over again with a new actress?

Shelve all the unknown and shaky DC properties, and start off with Batman until they get comfortable experimenting with others.

I think pressing forward might be the way to go, but we shall see. If it means recasting, so be it.

I like Affleck's Batman, but other actors could do well in the role too.
Right. There's a suitable replacement for Affleck out there. And honestly, if there's one thing to be learned from all of this, it's that casting an unknown or moderately-known actor may be the way to go. Marvel signed a bunch of their actors to six-picture deals, and they were able to do so because many of them didn't have bonafide star power. You were never going to get a six-picture deal from Affleck. He always came with a shelf life.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do a complete reboot. I would back off a shared universe.

I wouldn't do a complete reboot. I would back off a shared universe.
Still say the last resort is use Flash as a conduit for a soft-reboot. Keep the cast, change whatever you need to behind-the-scenes and keep on trucking. The Flash TV show alone has inspired endless memes about altered timelines. Their get-out-of-jail card is built into their IP already.

Oh, and how convenient is it that Flash is the least developed out of the mainline solo films? Gives them just enough time to gauge WW and JL reception before diving into finalizing what that Flash movie is going to be...

I can see a soft reboot. I would keep the cast because that's been the one thing I like so far.

I'd get rid of Cavill, Eisenberg and Leto^ and Affleck can go if he wants to, he's not irreplaceable. I like him though

I don't like Eisenberg. I want them to use the resurrection to change their interpretation of Superman.

The worst part is that they've cast really well so far in regards to the leads, but the writing and characterizations are just not there.

A soft reboot with Flash could have worked, but I'm not so sure now.

Unfortunately it seems that WB is just about the money when it comes to this shared universe.

They announce stuff well ahead of time without really thinking. Like a Deadshot spin-off, Gotham City Sirens, etc...Who needs those movies?

Cancel the DCEU. Expand the Arrowverse. Problem solved.

They should have replaced Snyder before replacing the cast.

Mmm I'm thinking about how sexy an HBO reboot would be. A ten episode season from Superman, Batman, then Wonder Woman leading into a team up. Sets them apart from Marvel and still gets them that $$$

Aka: Flashpoint. Do a soft reboot to the DCEU, keep what's good about it, abandon what's bad,

You guys realize that the same people will be in charge right? Just because you reboot doesn't mean that WB magically goes away. It'll be new people reporting to the same execs who've been at the company for decades. Only way it'll make a difference is if Time Warner fires everyone at WB which i don't see happening anytime soon. People who aren't a fan of this Universe are pretty much screwed for a very long time movie wise.

Imo DC should give up for time being. Something like five years with no movies. Then begin again from scratch with Flash.

Superman HBO
Batman HBO
Wonder Woman HBO
2 or 3 epic Justice League Films

That would be enough for me

Superman HBO
Batman HBO
Wonder Woman HBO
2 or 3 epic Justice League Films

That would be enough for me

HBO will never approve that, they already said they don't want to be a "Niche" channel with a certain genre of TV shows. They even passed on TWD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"