The Hypothetical DCEU Reboot Discussion Thread

here is problem if they hadn't wrapped aquaman and doing wonder woman sequel wb would defently reboot now

with wonder woman they have her as part of other dc films.and bruce wayne is
mentioned in wonder woman present day framing scenes.

warner brothers defently will make another batman film.but rather or not it is matt reves's the batman is up in the air.regardless they will do all possable to distance itself from affleck's version.

Of the main cast members, I think only Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa are safe at the moment. Wonder Woman is the one true bonafide success story of the DCEU, and girls have responded very positively to Gadot. Barring a catastrophic sequel that wipes away all of the good will built up by the first film, I think she's good for a WW trilogy. Even if WB decides to do a soft reboot, there is absolutely zero incentive to replace Gadot at this point. Jason Momoa is safe for the time being simply because he has a solo film in post-production that has yet to be released. If Aquaman is a hit, they'll keep him around. If not, bye-bye.

Ezra Miller is up in the air, though I think it's more likely that he sticks around. Warner Brothers seems to like him, he's very enthusiastic about the role, and despite the JL reviews he's gotten strong marks from audiences. While he was a part of this disastrous Justice League movie, he wasn't necessarily "the face" of it. He really hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do with the role in any major capacity. Depending on if/when WB gets around to making a Flash movie in the fallout of Justice League, they may decide to keep him. But it's really going to depend on just how much they want to distance themselves from JL. If they want an absolutely clean break (save for Gadot), or if The Flash gets put on-hold indefinitely, Miller may be an unfortunate casualty of that.

I do not see a Justice League 2 coming anytime soon, and I do not see a Cyborg solo movie coming at all. For those reasons, I think Ray Fisher is out. Unfortunate casualty. Though they may try to work the character back into the Teen Titans show (If he's not already a part of it. I haven't kept tabs).

Ben Affleck is gone. The writing's been on the wall for months. He's on the press tour for the first-ever Justice League movie, trying to hype it up and get people excited, and he's talking about how he's trying to find a graceful exit from the franchise. While promoting Justice League. Whether it's the fallout from BvS, the headaches from JL, the divorce, the recovery from alcohol addiction, the hounding press, the sexual harassment allegations, take your pick. The guy's lack of enthusiasm is palpable in interviews, and you can just tell he wants to wash his hands of it. Despite having one film left on his contract, cut him loose. The constant back-and-forth is bringing you nothing but bad press. Put an end to it.

I've mentioned this in the JL boards, and it's not a popular sentiment, but I think you cut Henry Cavill loose as well. We can argue back and forth about who's at fault for the DCEU's failures, but the fact remains that Henry Cavill is the face of three films that have performed below studio expectations, and the last two films especially have caused serious (potentially irreparable) damage to the current DCEU brand. It is impossible to disassociate his Superman from this disaster. If I were a WB executive or a majority shareholder, the stigma is far too great to continue with him in the role. The character needs a complete reset, and the swiftest way to accomplish that is to bring in a fresh face. Again, not shouldering all of the blame on Cavill, but he may very well be the biggest casualty out of this entire affair. But yeah, if I'm an executive or shareholder, a MoS2 just isn't happening. Neither is JL2. With those two films off the table, I see no reason to keep him.

There, if it were up to me:

- Keep Gal Gadot.
- If Aquaman is a success, keep Jason Momoa. If not, cut him loose.
- If The Flash ends up being made sooner rather than later, keep Ezra Miller. If The Flash is put on hold for another 4+ years, cut him loose. If you're going to let that much time elapse, there's not much incentive to keep him.

Superman and Batman are recast:

Superman: Benjamin Walker
Batman: Jake Gyllenhaal

Last edited:
I think Cavill finally got a chance to show his stuff in JL but sadly yes, I agree they could probably cut him loose. Someone said that unfortunately, while Snyder is the one behind this, Cavill is essentially the face of the old DCEU WB seems to be heavily turning away from, so they might view recasting as a good PR gesture.

I've said it elsewhere, but they don't need a hard reboot. All they need to do is cancel or put on indefinite hold about 90% of their announced movies, focus on making good movies one or two at a time.

Oh, and tell the directors for each one "Look, don't make your films openly incompatible with taking place in a larger universe, but otherwise, go at it. Free free especially to ignore inconvenient parts of Snyder's prior universe canon."

Imo they should just reboot Batman and Superman and let WW forge her own path regardless. Relying on a shared universe for those two the sake of fans who still want it is foolhardy at this point.

The target is the GA , not fanboys. If the Affleck and Cavill versions and continuities aren't resonating, or selling, with the GA, the most viable option is to start fresh with those characters and continue to make solo films with WW.

The GA won't care as much as fanboys think they will, and if anything, a fresh start for both will likely be more appealing and present better story possibilities than using the derided Snyderverse as foundation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"