Runaways Casting Thread

I'm all for the characters being as they are in the book, but I don't see how changing Kinpin was okay but changing whatever character Keke might play isn't. Having a wrestler play the role was NOT the only alternative.

It could really just be by a character by character basis, but MCD was great for the role of Kingpin. I read around when the movie was released that it wasn't a conscious decision to change things up with the character, but when a majority of the people auditioning for the role were professional wrestlers, Duncan was trusted as a better candidate by the people in charge. It's kind of like Liev Schreiber replacing Tyler Mane as Sabretooth, because the character needed to actually act - not just be big and imposing for the entire movie. So for me, it's really all up to the ability of the actor and the rationale for changing a character's ethnicity. Change for the sake of change is not a valid reason, but change for the betterment of a character, I can get behind. And when it comes to Keke, I really don't see anything special with her acting that would really warrant making a change to these characters' background (other than to draw in the Nickelodeon teen crowd, perchance).

Twilgiht has better acting than FRED LOL
Twilight has real actors, and real directors. The material just isn't very strong.

Also while we are at it; Michael Clarke Duncan was wrong for Kingpin.

I'm with JP here. We can not judge alot of people on one acting merit. Most people only deem certain people unnecessary nowadays because ''Eww they were in that franchise I don't like, so therefore they can only be like they were in that one franchise!"

Recent case in point: Anna Kendrick, everyone was hating on her because of Twilight and now everyone's all ''Wow. This girl can actually act!" thanks to Up in the Air and Scott Pilgrim.

well... to be fair, she was never a central character in twilight... and her other films carried no weight or fanbase from twilight.

people have the right to be nervous... yes i trust the studios... but lets face it. this guy's only done "fred" and runaways would certainly appeal to fred's audience. that would certainly hurt the films credibility because we'd also know the general audience of this film. (it'd be geared towards 12 year olds) financially it'd do fine, but choice of actors can really set the tone of how this films going to go.. and the 2 rumored auditions so far really make me fear the tone of this film... less goonies and scott pilgrim, more spy kids and sky high

But it's an AUDITION. It doesn't take much to have your agent set up an audition. Especially for this movie where everything is pretty open.

But it's an AUDITION. It doesn't take much to have your agent set up an audition. Especially for this movie where everything is pretty open.

im aware. but if you get a collective of a "type" trying out it tends to reflect what we are going to get... and what the audience the studio is trying to snag.

on another note... after seeing The Social Network, Brenda Song really would make a great Nico

im aware. but if you get a collective of a "type" trying out it tends to reflect what we are going to get... and what the audience the studio is trying to snag.

on another note... after seeing The Social Network, Brenda Song really would make a great Nico

I just could not register the visual of her giving Garfield head in that movie. Her Disney-ness is too ingrained.

Oh, I'm sure all the Disney girls slob on the knob currently, but hey.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Morgan Lily for the role of Molly? She fits the profile, is 10 years old and is currently filming the new X-men movie.

Speak for yourself. I'm still not quite sure who he wants to play Nico.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead's breasts are... phew!!!

mary-elizabeth-winstead-gm_l1.jpg

Why the **** isn't she in more movies?

Honestly... what's the problem with Karolina being black? I can change things and still respect the source material. Nolan did it (and changed a LOT of things).

We can see from the casting call it's not Xavin, nor do they cast bit parts first, and if so, they certainly don't make an announcement about it, nor do they cast their biggest stars (Keke is about as big as this movie will get, and the most credible too, I believe, since she's actually headlined a good movie, Akeelah and the Bee).

The real issue is that when we change 'real world' details, like race, hometown, occupation and etecetra, it hurts our ability to identify with those characters, because now they're different from us in a way they weren't before.

well... to be fair, she was never a central character in twilight... and her other films carried no weight or fanbase from twilight.

people have the right to be nervous... yes i trust the studios... but lets face it. this guy's only done "fred" and runaways would certainly appeal to fred's audience. that would certainly hurt the films credibility because we'd also know the general audience of this film. (it'd be geared towards 12 year olds) financially it'd do fine, but choice of actors can really set the tone of how this films going to go.. and the 2 rumored auditions so far really make me fear the tone of this film... less goonies and scott pilgrim, more spy kids and sky high

They're going to make the film more accessible than Scott Pilgrim if they spend more than 40M on it, and with Old Lace and Karolina in, they will. If the director/writers love the source material, you'll get your dark snark, but in all likelihood, you have no need to be nervous. There will be no more Scott Pilgrims or Goonies.

Heres my problem with changing race

1) 99% of the time it's pointless
2) I hate how they change white to black, but then another race to white then you have racebenders complaining
3) To me it just seems like theyre just doing it to add diversity

Just keep the characters the same race. I dont see the big deal with doing it

2) I hate how they change white to black, but then another race to white then you have racebenders complaining

I agree that keeping the characters the way they are is fine. But...

2) You can't seriously be saying there are no complaints when they change white to black :huh:

3) That may be their reasoning behind it but...Nico is asian and Alex is black
297.gif

I wasnt just talking about Runaways because so far as I know Palmer hasnt been officially cast yet. Or was she?

I didnt say that when you change white to black that you dont get complaining. Of course you do, but you dont get major news (non movie) outlets talking about the controversy like they had with for example the whole "The LAst Airbender" fiasco. I remember them talking about it in npr.

And yeah I agree there's plenty of the diversity Runaways, but as I said I wasnt talking about just Runaways. Like in Thor I honestly think that they saw that they only had one person of color in the cast so they changed the race of Hemidall. Idris Elba is one of my favorite actors and I dont really care about Hemidall that much so I wasnt that disappointed

Last edited:

Honestly, bro, it sounds like your problems with changing race are based entirely on assumption and ignorance. No one tells you the point, so you say it's pointless, or just for diversity. (And apparently, diversity is pointless?) You have a fine right to your opinion, but it sounds like it's based on your gift of telepathy.

Rant:

People complain for any race change, period. You are case in point. The complaining is louder and more obnoxious when it's white to another race, by the way. For every Last Airbender, there's a Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Runways ( it seems). For every BSG (got rid of ALL the black characters in the remake with MINIMAL complaining), there's a Smallville, Wild Wild West, and, you get the picture. Every once in a while a minor character is allowed to be changed without an enormous outcry, like Felix in the new Bond series, or Ford Perfect in Hitchiker's Guide, but in general, people always flip, and it rarely ever changes the director's choices. So, to make a long point even longer, get rid of the silly idea that changing white-to-black is okay or accepted, and that changing black-to-white happens rarely or is complained about more loudly.

I think diversity if pointless when instead of making new characters you change the race of another

Race change is pointless. There's a double standard with it. They should worry about building up characters like Black Panther and other characters of color instead of changing races. It's my opinion. Deal.

Last edited:
I think diversity if pointless when instead of making new characters you change the race of another

Race change is pointless. There's a double standard with it. They should worry about building up characters like Black Panther and other characters of color instead of changing races. It's my opinion. Deal.

So... if I have a great black actor that I like to work with that wants to play a previously white character, there's no point in me hiring them over a white person? Or *you* just don't see the point. Lets say I want to add diversity to Smallville's cast, to make it more realistic, and more easy to relate to... do I make up a new name for a character with the role and personality of Pete Ross so that he can be black, or do I just call my "new" black character what he is: Pete Ross.

Is there a double-standard, sure, all I'm saying is the double standard is WORSE going the other way, and wouldn't even be possible if there weren't a double standard against non-white ethnicities in the first place.

As for building up Black Panther, all I can say is: Why not do both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"