Runaways Casting Thread

I think that not including "Asian" in the Nico description was an oversight of some kind. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Nico being some white chick. As far as the "uniquely beautiful" thing goes, I think they just mean that Karolina is "conventionally beautiful," as in she's a rich blonde girl who is the daughter of movie stars. She looks like a Blake Lively type or someone like that. I hate to generalize like this, but I guess you could say Nico has a more "goth" look, so she isn't the type you see in movies or advertisements usually. Still hot, but in that "unconventionally hot" kind of way.

As for Molly, I am fairly certain they say she is like 10 years old in the comics. She is definitely years younger than any of the rest of them and is treated like a little kid.

There should be many Japanese Americans who look prettier than Korean Jenna Uskhowitz. It's not like they're going to sing or do dance numbers.

But you also need to look at things from a business perspective as well. Runaways is a comic that, while it has a very big cult following, it still has sold on the lower end of things. Even books that are top sellers every month don't have enough readers so that if readers alone went to the films, they'd flop. Film companies need to look at how they'll appeal to the most possible viewers to draw people in, so what's a better way to do that than by possibly casting an actress from one of the most popular tv shows around today? Especially one that has more younger fans who may want to see the movie more than once. I'm not saying Jenna is the perfect choice, but they could do worse and there would be other possible added benefits for the films success should she get the role.

i hope they tweak molly's characterization, she seemed kind of... annoying in the comics. i mean, i know she's ten, but the way they wrote her you'd think she was like 6.

I think in the comics she more like 12 or 13 and written like she's 6. She had some charm when Vaughan was still writing, but after he left she just turned into a big league brat.

Strange that they aren't looking for a Japanese/Asian actress for Nico.

Another odd thing about the cast list is they are looking for an 8-10 year old Molly -- way too young. Like all mutants, her powers emerged as she first entered puberty.

actually 10 is when girls tend to start (they start before guys)..... and i got my first hair when i was like 10 or 11.... and we had the talk/video in school when i was in 4th grade... (at about 10)

My latest casting choices. Only 2 fall into the age bracket they are looking for going by that last casting call but they all would fit the proper age "look" IMO.

RunawaysTable.jpg

Marcus Carl Franklin (age 17) for Alex Wilder
Brenda Song (age 22) for Nico Minoru
Jennifer Stone (age 17) for Gertie Yorkes
Jason Dolley (age 19) for Chase Stein
Willa Holland (age 19) for Karolina Dean
Elle Fanning (age 12) for Molly Hayes

I can see Andrew Stern playing Chase Stein well...
shdkshds.jpg
440pxtalkbackbio.jpg

he looks too young... chase always looked like the california athletic surfer boy. that guys too "twinky"

My latest casting choices. Only 2 fall into the age bracket they are looking for going by that last casting call but they all would fit the proper age "look" IMO.

RunawaysTable.jpg

Marcus Carl Franklin (age 17) for Alex Wilder
Brenda Song (age 22) for Nico Minoru
Jennifer Stone (age 17) for Gertie Yorkes
Jason Dolley (age 19) for Chase Stein
Willa Holland (age 19) for Karolina Dean
Elle Fanning (age 12) for Molly Hayes

I would approve this.

To me, though, Runaways has enough characters and story to warrant a well done television series. I just think it would be a little hard to try to contain them in a 2 hour movie even if it does get lucky enough to provide sequels.

NEver read the Runaways. What is Alex's personality like?

NEver read the Runaways. What is Alex's personality like?
Alex has a BIG twist about him. He's the leader of the group, a little bit dorky, the only member on the team without powers. However unlike the others who try to bond with one another. He distances himself from them, even Nico who he shares a loving affection with. It's because in the end he is revealed to be a mole for their parents and betrays the others.

I wonder if this might be better as an animated movie?

Alex has a BIG twist about him. He's the leader of the group, a little bit dorky, the only member on the team without powers. However unlike the others who try to bond with one another. He distances himself from them, even Nico who he shares a loving affection with. It's because in the end he is revealed to be a mole for their parents and betrays the others.
Before I read your spoiler I finished the first 18 issues.
I'm pissed what they did to Alex:cmad:. The whole time I was wondering when he was going to get his powers and then he turns into a villain and is killed. It's a good twist though

Charlie Hunnam when he was younger would of been a great Chase Stein

my local news last night in LA mentioned an open casting call for ages 11-17 or something... at paramount. didn't list the movie.. but the way they described it, pretty much sounded like it was definitely for Runaways.

I got to thinking that Paramount also has Super 8 and Maximum Ride in production, all of these could be your casting call.

I'm very happy to not only hear that, but to have Marvel adjust their casting notice accordingly.

Perhaps it was just a small error made by some intern or something.

Indeed.

Now may I suggest Ellen Wong as Nico. I don't care if she's 25. She just played a freaking 17 year old for christ sakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"