Scariest Horror Movies You've Ever Seen/Favorite Horror Films?

I'll definitely agree with 28 Days Later, still gives me nightmares to this day.

That was a good movie,,, the only thing that bothers me is sooo many people say this is a zombie movie.. They are not zombies!

Halloween & Signs---Only 2 movies to creep me out.

Horror is one of my favorite genres, but they rarely creep me out or make me jump, even with the volume cranked up. I watch movies like The Grudge and Paranormal Activity and I fall asleep, The Exorcist gives me a good laugh (still a great movie though).

That was a good movie,,, the only thing that bothers me is sooo many people say this is a zombie movie.. They are not zombies!

That depends entirely on your point of view. I look at 28 Days/28 Weeks Later as a more realistic take on the classic zombie movie. Something like the Solaris Virus (or whatever name Max Brooks gave the virus in The Zombie Survival Guide) would never happen in real life. There is no way any virus will kill you then reanimate your body. Something like the Rage Virus in 28 Days Later, on the other hand, which turns the infected into a raving maniac, is far more plausible. There already are viruses that have similar symptoms (syphilus and rabies for example), so it's not so far fetched to think that the Government might try and genetically engineer a more dramatic strain.

The infected in 28 Days Later are mindless killing machines that feel no pain, remorse, nor exhaustion. In effect, they are zombies. The only difference between them and Max Brooks' or George Romero's zombies is they still have a pulse.

That depends entirely on your point of view. I look at 28 Days/28 Weeks Later as a more realistic take on the classic zombie movie. Something like the Solaris Virus (or whatever name Max Brooks gave the virus in The Zombie Survival Guide) would never happen in real life. There is no way any virus will kill you then reanimate your body. Something like the Rage Virus in 28 Days Later, on the other hand, which turns the infected into a raving maniac, is far more plausible. There already are viruses that have similar symptoms (syphilus and rabies for example), so it's not so far fetched to think that the Government might try and genetically engineer a more dramatic strain.

The infected in 28 Days Later are mindless killing machines that feel no pain, remorse, nor exhaustion. In effect, they are zombies. The only difference between them and Max Brooks' or George Romero's zombies is they still have a pulse.

Dude really???.... Zombies are walking dead..

28 days,,, infected with rage,, they eventually die from starvation in the movie... now if after they died then started walking around they would then be zombies.

George A, invented the zombie wheel... you loose,lol

"the only difference is they still have a pulse"
Thats kind of a big difference lol.

Last edited:
Dude really???.... Zombies are walking dead..

28 days,,, infected with rage,, they eventually die from starvation in the movie... now if after they died then started walking around they would then be zombies.

George A, invented the zombie wheel... you loose,lol

"the only difference is they still have a pulse"
Thats kind of a big difference lol.

Actually, zombies were invented by Voodoo priests. And they were not walking dead, at least not literally. They were people who were given a drug which causes your resperatory and circulatory systems to slow down to the point of being near death. In the old days, it was easily mistaken for being dead (though maybe not so much today with all our modern technology). Afterwards, the person would awaken with mild to severe brain damage, making them easily manipulated (thus the Voodoo zombie army stories). If they were declared dead and buried before they awoken, they would sometimes dig their way out of their graves. A sight that has freaked out many an undertaker. Thus, the ORIGINAL zombies were not undead at all. Which makes 28 Days Later as much a zombie movie as all of those Voodoo zombie movies that were George Romero's inspiration for Night Of The Living Dead.

And by the way, it's "you lose" not "you loose". As in "Did you lose your loose tooth?"

Actually, zombies were invented by Voodoo priests. And they were not walking dead, at least not literally. They were people who were given a drug which causes your resperatory and circulatory systems to slow down to the point of being near death. In the old days, it was easily mistaken for being dead (though maybe not so much today with all our modern technology). Afterwards, the person would awaken with mild to severe brain damage, making them easily manipulated (thus the Voodoo zombie army stories). If they were declared dead and buried before they awoken, they would sometimes dig their way out of their graves. A sight that has freaked out many an undertaker. Thus, the ORIGINAL zombies were not undead at all. Which makes 28 Days Later as much a zombie movie as all of those Voodoo zombie movies that were George Romero's inspiration for Night Of The Living Dead.

And by the way, it's "you lose" not "you loose". As in "Did you lose your loose tooth?"

Yes, I am aware of the history.. it derived from voodoo, but thats where you are going wrong. Voodoo priest had the public believing they could breath life into the dead,,

People honestly thought they were dead. Although voodoo was a trick, people honestly thought they were walking dead, hence they coined them zombies, walking dead. Anybody in here can google the definition of the word zombie. See what it says, im not gonna cut and paste all the definitions.

Zombie means walking dead.... 28 days people were infected not dead.. its not a zombie movie.

you loose lol, all joking aside I see where your going with this.. Im sorry man its not a zombie movie by definition alone.

Last edited:
Blair Witch Project.
When I watched, I really thought this ''found camera'' was really a found camera. They advertized the movie as such, too, so it was worth it.

Alien. And only for the ventilation scene really. Made me jump.

Films have never honestly scared me. I can be creeped out or disturbed but never truly scared.

The first Jeepers Creepers. And I can't watch the Paranormal Activity films alone. I hate exorcism movies. Makes me sleep with the lights on. The first Halloween, also.

Asian horror movies creep/disturb the hell out of me, yet I can't stop watching them.

Ju-On: The Grudge series
A Tale of Two Sisters
Three... Extremes 1 and 2
The Eye 1 and 2
Shutter
Reincarnation
Premonition

I've always been really disturbed by Cronenburg's The Fly. It's not just because of the makeup and effects, though those are certainly horrific. It's also the concept itself and how realistically and methodically it's told. The idea of a man, through almost no fault of his own, losing himself and slowly becoming this ghastly monster is terrifying to me as well as profoundly tragic and morbidly fascinating. I don't know if I'll ever watch that film all the way through again; it's one of the few that's actually given me nightmares.

The Shining is the best horror movie ever made, IMO. It didn't need gore to scare you like so many horror films these days. The atmosphere, tension, and music made it scary.

Other horror movies I like..

28 Days Later
Night of the Living Dead
Blair Witch Project

Child's Play 2 scared the crap out of me as a kid, and caused me to have nightmares of Chucky for years.

The scene where Kenny goes to hell in the South Park movie was one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen. (I saw it on the big-screen in an almost empty theater) And it was just a cartoon. I'll never watch that movie, or the TV series ever again.

Yes, I am aware of the history.. it derived from voodoo, but thats where you are going wrong. Voodoo priest had the public believing they could breath life into the dead,,

People honestly thought they were dead. Although voodoo was a trick, people honestly thought they were walking dead, hence they coined them zombies, walking dead. Anybody in here can google the definition of the word zombie. See what it says, im not gonna cut and paste all the definitions.

Zombie means walking dead.... 28 days people were infected not dead.. its not a zombie movie.

you loose lol, all joking aside I see where your going with this.. Im sorry man its not a zombie movie by definition alone.

First, you really need to learn the difference between the words "lose" and "loose". One is a verb, the other is an adjective. They are not interchangeable.

Second, you wrote that George Romero invented zombies. I corrected you. He invented the "barricade yourself in a building as zombies pound on the doors" style of zombie film, but he didn't invent zombies.

Third, you should reread my post. I said that "28 Days Later was a more realistic take on the classic zombie movie genre." That in real life, no virus or chemical can possibly reanimate a dead body and turn it into a flesh eating creature of rotting flesh. Thus the writers created "The Rage Virus" in order to put the characters in the same predicament as those in the Romero films, but in a more realistic setting.

So while the infected people in 28 Days Later aren't zombies in the "classic sense", the movie itself is still considered a "zombie movie". I guess you could call it "a zombie movie without any zombies".

I haven't seen a horror film yet that really scared me. The Island of Dr. Moreau (with Brando) freaked me out. Imagine you're ten years old, flipping through the channels, and you stumble across a kangroo-thing giving birth. With all the gorey details. Then there was that dwarf the doctor had with him...

Silent Hill has been the most enjoyable horror movie I've seen to date. I'd rank it alongisde Carpenter's The Thing.

First, you really need to learn the difference between the words "lose" and "loose". One is a verb, the other is an adjective. They are not interchangeable.

Second, you wrote that George Romero invented zombies. I corrected you. He invented the "barricade yourself in a building as zombies pound on the doors" style of zombie film, but he didn't invent zombies.

Third, you should reread my post. I said that "28 Days Later was a more realistic take on the classic zombie movie genre." That in real life, no virus or chemical can possibly reanimate a dead body and turn it into a flesh eating creature of rotting flesh. Thus the writers created "The Rage Virus" in order to put the characters in the same predicament as those in the Romero films, but in a more realistic setting.

So while the infected people in 28 Days Later aren't zombies in the "classic sense", the movie itself is still considered a "zombie movie". I guess you could call it "a zombie movie without any zombies".

There are parasites which can reanimate insects after death. The parasite uses the corpse to spread and do things the parasite cant do on its own. There are also parasites than can enter the brain and control the mind on a level people cant detect without instruments. There is research in the field and its believed a percentage of the human population carries these types of parasites in their brains and dont know it. In humans the parasites can cause personality changes and mood disorders and a number of other conditions. Cats are one of the carriers of these parasites that humans get them from.To outright say that a parasite does not exist on this planet that can reanimate base bodily functions to allow it to accomplish a goal is narrow minded. The Amazon Jungle alone harbors many unknown things and all scientists agree we have barely scratched the surface of what exists on this planet. If we havent seen it it is more likely we havent discovered it than it not existing.

There are parasites which can reanimate insects after death. The parasite uses the corpse to spread and do things the parasite cant do on its own. There are also parasites than can enter the brain and control the mind on a level people cant detect without instruments. There is research in the field and its believed a percentage of the human population carries these types of parasites in their brains and dont know it. In humans the parasites can cause personality changes and mood disorders and a number of other conditions. Cats are one of the carriers of these parasites that humans get them from.To outright say that a parasite does not exist on this planet that can reanimate base bodily functions to allow it to accomplish a goal is narrow minded. The Amazon Jungle alone harbors many unknown things and all scientists agree we have barely scratched the surface of what exists on this planet. If we havent seen it it is more likely we havent discovered it than it not existing.

The parasite carried by cats controls living beings, not corpses. Never heard of the parasite which animates insect corpses. If they exist (for all I know you're making that up), there is a world of difference between reanimating a beetle and reanimating a person. While it's certainly plausible that a more advanced version of the parasite might evolve, it won't necessarily behave like the zombies in the Romero films. Also, while it's plausible that a more advanced breed of parasite may evolve, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will. Besides, Romero's zombies are created by a virus, not a parasite.

OK Thundarr, Lets back up because you have gone way off the track with what this is even about. I simply responded to 28 days as being a good film but the only thing that bothered me is so many people say its a zombie film.. its not.

You responded with the "its how you view it", "plausible" etcc.. You even went into the voodoo stuff which I corrected you on.

Its very very simple, a zombie derived from voodoo priest using methods to make people brain dead so to speak. People saw this and actually thought they were dead but walking. While these people were in reality still alive, people thought they were dead. The name given to them was zombie which means: walking dead, reanimated souless corpse. Long story short literally dead but operating.

You can get into the plausible and explanations all you want, the fact is it will never take away from the definition or meaning of the word zombie.

Last to sum this up, 28 days is not a zombie film... Its simply not by definition and derivation of the word zombie, not even in the "classic" sense. Zombie is fiction.. You seem to use the word zombie on a plausible or realistic setting which is why i think your confused. 28 days people were infected but still alive, they eventually die out, that is a far cry from what a zombie is defined as.

But if you want to describe 28days as "a zombie film with no zombies",, I will agree with you on that. Although I would not advise you to get into any kind of marketing.

PS: Romero did not even (night of the living dead) call them zombies, this was just an idea for a film he had. It later was labeled a zombie film because it just so happens that it matched up to the definition of the word.

Last edited:
You could say 28 Days Later reinvigorated the Zombie genre.

Jacob's Ladder

Not knowing what's going to happen to him next. The level of fear and paranoia that film gave me...yikes.

The Shining is the best horror movie ever made, IMO. It didn't need gore to scare you like so many horror films these days. The atmosphere, tension, and music made it scary.

Totally agree. It was all style and it felt like the sanity of the film slipped slowly away, just like the main character.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the greatest scary movie ever, but it certainly ranks right up there in the top ten. And you're right, music and atmosphere is all it needed to be scary. Not buckets of blood, puddles of piss, and Rob Zombie's inbred, redneck, white trash friends & family.

Alot of gory horror movies aren't scary to me they might gross me out or disturb me but they don't frighten me or anything like a good atmospheric horror movie can.

The Exorcist
The Shining
Halloween (Carpenter's)
Hellraiser
An American Werewolf in London
The Thing (Carpenter's)
Fright Night
Trick R Treat
Also a really big fan of the Paranormal Activity series.

As for actually scaring me, the one that still has the potential to freak me out if I'm in the right mood is The Exorcist. I don't know what it is about the makeup on that little girl, but it wreaks havoc on me. I've seen it recreated, but it never has the same effect as in that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"