Scariest Horror Movies You've Ever Seen/Favorite Horror Films?

That was a good movie,,, the only thing that bothers me is sooo many people say this is a zombie movie.. They are not zombies!

The movie deals with almost every single zombie story trope and has several direct references to Romero's films. Undead or not, its squarely in the same genre.

5nurud.jpg

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the greatest scary movie ever, but it certainly ranks right up there in the top ten. And you're right, music and atmosphere is all it needed to be scary. Not buckets of blood, puddles of piss, and Rob Zombie's inbred, redneck, white trash friends & family.

You sure about that?
tumblr_m8m9pqdz5G1rpuj1d.gif

alien isn't scary at all to the modern viewer. id get it if you watched it when it came out but not today

psycho is a movie that still creeped me out despite being old

Many modern viewers, my self included, completely disagree with you about Alien. That movie gets under my skin.

Many modern viewers, my self included, completely disagree with you about Alien. That movie gets under my skin.

Even without the alien itself, the film effectively creates this dark, depressing and isolated atmosphere. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7deEcyeVuw8
[YT]7deEcyeVuw8[/YT]
You see, this film, more than anything, isn't just about the fear of the unknown. It's about the fear of being, and eventually dying, alone. The fear that, floating through the black, empty vastness of space, millions, billions, trillions of lightyears from home, no one is coming to save you.

Why do you think the tagline for this film was, "In space, no one can hear you scream"?

Alot of gory horror movies aren't scary to me they might gross me out or disturb me but they don't frighten me or anything like a good atmospheric horror movie can.

That's why I like the original Friday The 13th, as well as the first couple of sequels. You get both atmosphere and gore. So your senses are hit at every possible angle. I like that.

You sure about that?
tumblr_m8m9pqdz5G1rpuj1d.gif

LOL!

I was actually referring to the excessive use of bloody, gory death scenes that so many modern horror film makers (such as Rob Zombie) think is so damned scary.

But point taken.

really? like when i was watching the ventilation scene i expected it was gonna get freaky cuz i'd heard that some scene in a vent in alien is one of the scariest scenes, but it seemed laughable. i usually really like ridley scott. i dont know what it is, like i said Pyscho really creeped me out and its pretty dated

Alien just has a lot of rape subtext that freaks me out.

Also Thundar, I know what you were getting at, I was just being a jerk.

The movie deals with almost every single zombie story trope and has several direct references to Romero's films. Undead or not, its squarely in the same genre.

5nurud.jpg

Yeah, im not saying its not the same genre (horror) or anything.The only point I was making is its not a zombie movie. Thats really all

Its actually funny reading what scares people and how everyone is different. When I was a kid I watched a movie called Dolls, scared the shi* out of me. Watching it now is corny as hell. Who knows why some things scare people and others find it funny.

I was actually referring to the excessive use of bloody, gory death scenes that so many modern horror film makers (such as Rob Zombie) think is so damned scary.

i would actually say most modern horror films are pretty tame when it comes to blood and gore.

The thing that freaks me out the most about 28 Days Later is how the regular uninfected humans act, not the infected rage-"zombies" (see what I did there? called them zombies, but not REALLY, so everyone is happy).

My wife refuses to watch any more possession/exorcism movies because The Exorcism of Emily Rose freaked her out so much.

One movie that I really, really like, and think is one of the best recent horror films, is Trick r Treat. I don't think it is particularly scary, but it is just a great fun Halloween movie.

I think that's because most of them are PG-13.

yep....and thats a problem. a legit horror movie shouldnt be PG-13. it's extremely rare for a PG-13 horror movie to be worthwhile. if some anonymous board of soccer moms deems the movie okay to be watched by a 13 year old girl....chances are its not a horror movie thats worth my time.

Yeah, im not saying its not the same genre (horror) or anything.The only point I was making is its not a zombie movie. Thats really all

Far more specific than just "horror" it fits the vast majority of standard zombie story tropes and the rage infected folks act in a way very similar to many zombie archetypes and the virus is spread much in the same way zombie infections usually are.

Making them infected rather than literally undead is sort of in line with things like Nolan's approach to the Batman series. Yeah the Joker doesn't fall into a vat of chemicals that give him perma-white skin and perma-green hair, and Ras isn't really immortal, but does that really change what those characters do and who they are?

Yeah I really dont care enough about it debate or anything,, im just going off the definition and meaning of the word zombie.. If people want to call infected but still alive people zombies im not gonna argue about it... who cares about what zombie is supposed to mean. Hey, lets just go with.... if it looks like a zombie and acts like a zombie,,,its a zombie.

If 28 days/later is a zombie movie,, so be it.. groovy

Last edited:
The thing that freaks me out the most about 28 Days Later is how the regular uninfected humans act, not the infected rage-"zombies" (see what I did there? called them zombies, but not REALLY, so everyone is happy).

My wife refuses to watch any more possession/exorcism movies because The Exorcism of Emily Rose freaked her out so much.

One movie that I really, really like, and think is one of the best recent horror films, is Trick r Treat. I don't think it is particularly scary, but it is just a great fun Halloween movie.

That was a cool movie, I agree.. Its like a cult classic or something

alien isn't scary at all to the modern viewer. id get it if you watched it when it came out but not today

psycho is a movie that still creeped me out despite being old

there is something to be said about the impact a film had on you when you first saw it..no matter how the content or vibe holds up today.

Salem's Lot(the original) scared the crap out of me because i watched an edited version of it on TV when i was like 8 or 9. when I've re-watched nothing ever compares to how it got to me at that age.

Hellraiser, and The Howling were the same deal for me, saw them very young..

for me the list includes

-Salem's Lot
-Pet Cemetery
-Hellraiser
-Nightmare on Elm Street I
-Shining
-Insidious
-Poltergeist I and maybe even II moreso (the preacher guy horrified me)
-Pandorum

Pandorum for me was like nightmare i personally have reoccurring , just to many similarities so it chilled me on a personal level

i would actually say most modern horror films are pretty tame when it comes to blood and gore.

I don't think so. The remakes of Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were far bloodier than the originals. So were the remakes of House Of Wax, House On Haunted Hill, and The Haunting. I think the remakes of Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street were about as gory as the originals.

I love Horror, but I also really hate modern horror. Things like Hostel, Final Destination, and the 5,000 Saw sequels just don't do it for me. I adore older horror though. The Universal Monster films are masterpieces. Even the worst of those is leagues better than what gets put out today. Horror from the 70's and early 80's is pretty cool too. Horror today seems too focused on gross out stuff, rather than atmosphere. I'm not completely against gore and whatnot, but it can be overdone. My top 10 Horror films would have to be:
1. Bride of Frankenstein
2. Cabin in the Woods
3. Evil Dead 2
4. Alien
5. The Devils Rejects (I know I said I don't dig modern horror, but I really enjoyed this movie).
6. Dracula
7. Frankenstein
8. The Shining
9. The Wolfman
10. Zombieland

I saw The Innkeepers last night. It was sort of a throwback and being labeled a "slow burner" type of horror film. I thought they did a great job creating atmosphere and tension. It's not perfect but some of the scares were effective.

Ichi the Killer horrified me. Audition did as well, with some nausea on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"