ScarJo fires back at critics and says she "should be able to play any person"

For hundreds, maybe thousands, of years plays cast men to play women and didnt really give a single **** about accurate casting, because its an actor playing a role and being costumed and altered with wardrobe and makeup. Taking that to its logical conclusion any actor should be able to play any role regardless of gender, race, physical condition etc. But I dont expect that to happen. Modern audiences have just become obsessed with casting being as accurate as possible and using it as some sort of affirmative action initiative.

For hundreds, maybe thousands, of years plays cast men to play women and didnt really give a single **** about accurate casting, because its an actor playing a role and being costumed and altered with wardrobe and makeup. Taking that to its logical conclusion any actor should be able to play any role regardless of gender, race, physical condition etc. But I dont expect that to happen.

People did (and do) lots of things for hundreds, maybe thousands, of years without giving them much thought that we shouldn’t advice doing today.

It would have been worth it then, especially if I could savor the smoke and ash slowly drown out the screams.

Scarjo should've played Mulan and watch the social media world burn.

:o

Use CGI to give her eyes epicanthic folds.

giphy.gif

Eh, does seem like she doesn't get it tho. I recently briefly watched that flick where John Wayne played Genghis Khan. lol

I'm Genghis Khan, pilgrim!
I don't find that to be analogous to the situation at hand. That's basically a form of "black-face".

ScarJo was going to be playing a transgender man, which, she can play, since she herself is a biological woman, who can therefore play a transgender man. It would be a different story if it was a transgender woman. That wouldn't fit the casting.

I don't find that to be analogous to the situation at hand. That's basically a form of "black-face".

ScarJo was going to be playing a transgender man, which, she can play, since she herself is a biological woman, who can therefore play a transgender man. It would be a different story if it was a transgender woman. That wouldn't fit the casting.

Not really. She could act as either one. If its a woman becoming a man scarjo would need makeup and some cgi alteration after the surgical change, and if it's a man becoming a woman scarjo would need makeup and some cgi alterations before the surgical change.

I was just explaining why I don’t think the John Wayne/Genghis Khan analogy works in this particular case. I’m not even making any sort of declarative statement on this, I’m just saying I don’t think it’s an apt analogy.

Last edited:
White washing is not okay and goes back to the dawn of the century when cinema started to become an art form through which ideas could be expressed. Neither is taking away one of the very few* opportunities a trans man would have in this industry.

ScarJo being a white cis woman has hundreds of other roles for her to fall back on that a trans man does not have. Equality of opportunity. I mean, jeez, at least let other groups less fortunate than you have a chance to be the stars of their own struggles and stories

Next thing you know, Scarlett will don digital black face to play Nelson Mandela

My only issue with Scarlett Johansson being cast as Dante Gill is that Johansson looks nothing like Gill and seems inappropriate for the part. There's other women who'd be a lot better casting, even someone like Melissa McCarthy who's proven she can play a straight dramatic role, would physically and probably acting-wise fit the part way better than Johansson.

It'd seem a little silly to cast someone who looks absolutely nothing like a person and then slather tons of makeup, prosthetics, and padding on them, when they can easily cast someone else who's a lot more physically in the ballpark and frankly could probably just play the part better anyway.

Typical response from someone like Scar Jo.

Sounds about white.

I can't help but wonder how the people who agree with Johansson would react if a trans man was cast as James Bond or as a historical male figure. I mean, as long as he looked the part there shouldn't be any problem, right?

With that said, I admire her. She may deserve all the mockery she gets, but she's brave.

Perhaps Scarlett should just play an alien again. That worked pretty well for her in Under the Skin.

But also, just stop talking.

giphy.gif

I can't help but wonder how the people who agree with Johansson would react if a trans man was cast as James Bond or as a historical male figure. I mean, as long as he looked the part there shouldn't be any problem, right?

With that said, I admire her. She may deserve all the mockery she gets, but she's brave.

If they look, sound, act the part, etc., I wouldn't care.

I think there is a middle ground to this but Scarlett is pushing too far one way and her detractors are too far on the other.

Right now? Definitely a bad idea to play a role that is underserved already by someone who actually is that description. Maybe in fifty years or a hundred years it won't matter. Today though it's just best to let someone else take up that role.

When I watch a movie, the last thing I'm worrying about is whether Eddie Redmayne is really a transgender 1920s Danish painter, or whether Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal actually herded sheep in Wyoming and banged in a tent. I'm worried about if I believe it as I'm watching it.

Though it could also be turned around by someone being like, "oh, so you're saying you look rather mannish, ScarJo?" lol

Still hilarious to me that Leto won an Oscar for this exact thing just a scant few years ago.

Though it could also be turned around by someone being like, "oh, so you're saying you look rather mannish, ScarJo?" lol

That's actually exactly why she's not well-suited to Dante Gill. Because she doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"