• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scarlett / Destro connection hinted at in Rise of Cobra?

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
As some of you oldschool GI Joe fans probably remember, eventually in the GI Joe storyline Scarlett discovers that she's actually part of the McCullen clan, and that Destro is her distant cousin. I think that they actually hinted at this being a plot thread somewhere down the road in Rise of Cobra, because when Scarlett and Ripcord were trying to figure out the Night Raven's firing mechanism, and Scarlett happened to know enough Gaelic to know the word for "fire."

Scarlett has a Celtic last name (O'Hara) so it's possible that we're merely meant to believe that she learned some Celtic language to stay in touch with her heritage, but still, it seems a bit curious that they'd intentionally draw attention to the fact that she bothered to study such an obscure language unless it's going to be brought up later down the road. It's quite possible that it was put in there as a setup to her discovering her family ties with Destro and the McCullens.

Maybe, but I just took it as Scarlett being so clever she knew multiple language's, it was explained throughout the movie how clever she was supposed to be but thats how I took it in the movie.

True, but even for a child prodigy a language as obscure as Gaelic would probably not seem important enough to study, unless it was because of personal interest. It's also possible that she just plain picked up some from members of her family, since she has Scottish ancestry. My point though, was that I find it interesting that they specifically drew attention to the fact that Scarlett and Destro both know Gaelic, which would be a pretty trivial detail if not for their currently unknown family connection.

True, but even for a child prodigy a language as obscure as Gaelic would probably not seem important enough to study, unless it was because of personal interest. It's also possible that she just plain picked up some from members of her family, since she has Scottish ancestry. My point though, was that I find it interesting that they specifically drew attention to the fact that Scarlett and Destro both know Gaelic, which would be a pretty trivial detail if not for their currently unknown family connection.

It was for plot reasons. They needed a puzzle to make taking down the missile less straightforward though still solvable. Hence, a voice-activated firing mechanism. They chose Gaelic because it fit Destro's Scottish-ness best. They chose Scarlett because she was both, the team's brainiac and because Ripcord was flying.

I think you are confusing scarlett with Lady Jaye (which she found herself to be a distant cousin in the cartoon series).

Still knowing a little gaelic is a bit of a stretch.

As for her name (Shana O Hara is her full name btw) that was a reference to "Gone with the Wind" (Code name Scarlett and last name O'Hara=Scarlett O'Hara). This was done in 1982 so its a stretch and a half to link it to the movie as intentional naming.

Lots of holes in this idea.

I'm sure there are plenty of brain boxes out there who have studied Celtic as well just to learn an obscure language, and if Scarlett is someone who reads books WHILE jogging, i'm she has come accross the language in her studies.

Especially when you realize that Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic and Manx Gaelic are somewhat similar enough that they can sort of make sense of one another with some effort. If you take that into account, Gaelic isn't rare at all since (Irish) Gaelic is a compulsory language in all Irish schools.

I think you are confusing scarlett with Lady Jaye (which she found herself to be a distant cousin in the cartoon series).

D'oh. In all fairness though, that was when I was like 6 years old. :doh:

I could see them combining that aspect of Lady Jaye's character with Scarlett, though.

Now that actually made some sense. I was wondering why the Night Raven had voice commands and for them to be in Gaelic had me going WTH?! It all seemed so random and ******ed. Thanks for clearing some of that up.

As some of you oldschool GI Joe fans probably remember, eventually in the GI Joe storyline Scarlett discovers that she's actually part of the McCullen clan, and that Destro is her distant cousin. I think that they actually hinted at this being a plot thread somewhere down the road in Rise of Cobra, because when Scarlett and Ripcord were trying to figure out the Night Raven's firing mechanism, and Scarlett happened to know enough Gaelic to know the word for "fire."

Scarlett has a Celtic last name (O'Hara) so it's possible that we're merely meant to believe that she learned some Celtic language to stay in touch with her heritage, but still, it seems a bit curious that they'd intentionally draw attention to the fact that she bothered to study such an obscure language unless it's going to be brought up later down the road. It's quite possible that it was put in there as a setup to her discovering her family ties with Destro and the McCullens.

You might be reading into this, but I actually think it'd be pretty cool to see Scarlett fight Destro. I mean, they put her up against the Baroness in the last one and it was like, "yeah yeah, they're both chicks so they should fight," but I wanna see Scarlett take on Destro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"