Scooby-Doo Heading Back to the Big Screen

Mature enough that adults wont be annoyed watching it or that it wont have a bunch of fart jokes; but not mature enough that kids wont get it or that the movie will miss it's primary target demo

Again: Frankenweenie, Coraline. Hell even Zootopia had some moments that I'd imagine were scary to certain children. That's what you should go for. People need to remember that we people over 12 aren't really the target demographic for something like this. That doesn't mean make it stupid, but still keep that in mind

I havent seen the new Goosebumps movie, but I know it was a financial success and critics seemed to think it was decent. The trailers made it seem a lot lighter than most of the books or the old TV show, but something like that looks like it'll fit a Scooby Doo movie. Scooby Doo is a kids comedy franchise.

Last edited:
Mature as in Mystery Inc mature. Since this is essentially an ensemble cast, Scooby & Shaggy should always bring the immature/funny since that's just who they are.

Exactly. Even Kubo was scary for some kids. Kids were scared in my theater. We were kids once, Scooby was aimed primarily at us then. Now we've grown and it should be more about similarly passing it on to the next gen like someone passed it on to us. It should feel like the classic cartoons which even as adults you can still watch and enjoy a lot. Those episodes from the... 70s? 60s? Still live up all these years later.

Never saw Mystery Inc past a few episodes. But I read the TV Tropes page and I know it's darker/more mature

However, wasn't that not that big of a success? i dont know if it was just CN scheduling and I dont know how the ratings were but maybe that's a sign that that's not the way to go.

Again, we're adults so we wouldn't mind a more mature Scooby Doo, but it's primarily a franchise for kids. I dont see the need to make it any darker or more mature than Zootopia or anything like that.

It didnt do bad in ratings. It was actually a big hit and got better ratings then the newest incarnation that is more dumbed down. It was matching Adventure Time in ratings and at it's height, got over 2.0 viewers. It's highest rating was 2.5 mill viewers.

Last edited:
Never saw Mystery Inc past a few episodes. But I read the TV Tropes page and I know it's darker/more mature

However, wasn't that not that big of a success? i dont know if it was just CN scheduling and I dont know how the ratings were but maybe that's a sign that that's not the way to go.

Again, we're adults so we wouldn't mind a more mature Scooby Doo, but it's primarily a franchise for kids. I dont see the need to make it any darker or more mature than Zootopia or anything like that.

Zootopia was pretty dark.

ANd I said that by saying it was more mature, but still liked by younger kids. And that's what I was saying a new SB movie should aim for

I think a mature-ish Scooby-Doo could work but it's finding the balance of serious to humorous without going too juvenile that is hard to accomplish.

Too much one way or another and it will fall flat.

Harry Potter tone would fit. Both light child adventure movie, but also going into dark places here or there.

Scooby-Doo Animated Movie Moves Back Two Years to 2020
Dave McNary said:
Warner Bros. is delaying its Scooby-Doo animated movie “Scooby” for nearly two years to May 15, 2020.

The studio had announced in 2015 that it was in development on “Scooby” with a release date of Sept. 21, 2018.

Variety reported in September that Dax Shepard is in negotiations to direct the movie. Producers are Charles Roven and Richard Suckle, who were producers on the studio’s live-action films “Scooby-Doo” and “Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.” Allison Abbate, who has credits on “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” “Corpse Bride,” and “Frankenweenie,” is also producing.

The untitled film is being directed by “Space Jam” helmer Tony Cervone, whose TV credits include Cartoon Network’s “The Looney Tunes Show” and “Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated.” Matt Lieberman (“Dr. Dolittle: Tail to the Chief”) wrote the screenplay, while Dan Povenmire (“Family Guy”) is on board as executive producer.

The new Scooby-Doo feature will be a Warner Bros. Pictures presentation under the Warner Animation Group banner, which has risen to prominence with “The Lego Movie” and “Batman Lego.”

“Scooby” is the first title to be set on May 15, 2020. Variety reported in 2013 that the project was in development. At that point, Roven and Suckle were producing, with Lieberman penning the script.

The 2002 “Scooby-Doo” mixed live-action actors with the titular Great Dane, which was computer-generated, as did “Scooby-Doo: Monsters Unleashed” two years later. The first film generated $275 million worldwide, while the second earned $180 million.

The original animated TV series “Scooby-Doo: Where Are You?” was created by Hanna-Barbera and first aired in 1969.

Warner Bros. also announced Wednesday that it would move “Godzilla Vs. Kong” forward a week to May 22, 2020, along with a June 29, 2018, release date for its comedy “Tag,” starring Ed Helms, Jeremy Renner, and Hannibal Buress.

That article says Dax Shepard is in negotiations to direct but then it says Tony Cervone is directing. I much rather Cervone direct because I don't want Dax involved in any way.

I wish this was live action again because there are already direct to dvd animated film released a few times every year. Unless this is all cgi

Should look interesting at least.

Did anyone actually read the article?

I did and while it breaks canon (I think? Do they even have one?) it also is plainly obvious an attempt to cash in on the suddenly popular women can lead a movie too bandwagon.

That in itself isn't a problem and the story doesn't sound bad (though definitely in the Scooby wheel house) but I also fail to see why it must be Daphne and Velma only since neither of them will have Scooby-Doo (who is Shaggy's dog). Other than their names this movie sounds like it can work fine on its own as a mystery.

So...what is the point of this? Granted, getting to see any of them before forming Mystery Inc. is somewhat interesting in theory, but why focus on only two of them? Oh, and Ashley Tisdale is producing this. Joy.

But let's be honest, they won't find a better Velma than Linda Cardellini. :o

Reactions: CJ

On the animation side, the untitled Scooby-Doo movie is full steam ahead with an expected release date in the first quarter of 2020. Columbus’ interest in the film started when he was developing the “Gremlins” reboot, which he is producing. Insiders say his affection for the character and WB animation was apparent, and he was soon asked to join the production as a creative producer working side by side with director Tony Cervone. Kelly Fremon Craig is writing the screenplay from a draft by Jack Donaldson and Derek Elliott.

Columbus is involved? This might actually be good!

It’ll never be better than Zombie Island.

Reactions: CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"