I just watched Scooby-Doo....

Sava said:
Making Scrappy the villain was just a dumbass thing to do...

Yes, it was. That was the worst part of that movie, but that wasn't the only thing wrong.

The only bright spot was Matthew Lillard. He managed to nail Shaggy down to a T, even with such ****tty material.

I see the Scooby-Doo movie as one thing, and one thing only and it's just brainless pretty pictures. There is no point in complaining about the movie or critiquing it because they obviously didn't make a kind of movie for people to pick at. They made it simply for children and put lotsa bright colours, silly characters and fun action sequences.

I watched SD1 a couple of weeks ago. I am a fan of the orginal series. Honestly if you don't take it seriously it's not that bad. Of course a lot of people on here didn't like it. It's aimed at kids, not us. It's no worse than the Flintstones or any other movie based on a cartoon{surely it's better than Underdog:dry:} I'd wish they would have made it along the lines of the Brady Bunch Movie though. I don't mind Scrappy being the bad guy. He was always kinda an annoying ash anyways. The only characters in the movie that were true to the original cartoons are Shaggy and Velma. Fred in the movie is an ego ***** and Daphne is just...annoying.

The best scenes in the movie are the opening and Velma's flashback.

The sequel. I liked it better than the first only because the classic monsters. Otherwise it's crap.

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

SD1 was mehish, Scrappy as the villain was silly. But I liked #2, cause it was a classic, just like the cartoons.

Yeah, big Scooby fan and I actually like the films as well. I'm a HUGE Shaggy and Scooby fan and in those regards- perfection, imo. The actor who plays Shaggy, currently forgot the name, imo is as inspired a choice as Tobey for Peter, Jackman for Wolverine, etc. Can't see anybody else fitting the part as perfectly as he did. :up:

I always liked the Scooby films. Wehn I first saw that Scrappy was the movie in the first one I was laughing and confused but since Scrappy was so hated when he first appeared in the cartoon, it was a nod to those fans that watched the show when Scrappy first appeared.

Wouldnt mind seeing another sequel, to bad Sarah and Freddie dont want to do one.

Scooby Doo movies may have been more popular ten years earlier (albeit with less CGI) when the market wasn't flooded with such similar crap.

Yeah, big Scooby fan and I actually like the films as well. I'm a HUGE Shaggy and Scooby fan and in those regards- perfection, imo. The actor who plays Shaggy, currently forgot the name, imo is as inspired a choice as Tobey for Peter, Jackman for Wolverine, etc. Can't see anybody else fitting the part as perfectly as he did. :up:
Mathew Lillard{sp?} played Shaggy. And he did make a great Shaggy:up:

I liked the Scooby movies. I use to be a huge fan of all the shows back in the day.

I liked the scooby-doo films too, they don't deserve all they hate they're given

I didn't mind this movie either, it was pretty much on point for what it was. I could think of worse family films to be honest.

I personally love ALL things Scooby. Been a fan since I was a little pup.
But in regards to the first live-action film, the Fart Battle between Shaggy and Scoob was completely out of place, and uncharacteristic of anything that the show ever did. It went from being Classic Scooby to something you would find in a Baby Geniuses movie. :doh: Scooby's humor comes from witty lines, clever puns, and cheesy, innocent, adolescent shenanigans. Farting is none of those things.

Manofbat's insinuation that you have to be 25 or older to "get" the movie is pure bullsh--. I'm only 20, and I grew up watching every single Scooby Doo show that ever existed. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I got every in-joke and every jab in the first Scooby Doo movie, and I enjoyed it, especially the jab at Scrappy even though I liked Scrappy, but overall I felt it could have been a lot better. I haven't seen it since I saw it in theaters though so...I couldn't say what my opinion of it would be now. As a kid I was just happy to see Scrappy in the movie, and overall I got the joke, but at the end of the day I remember wishing it had been a different villain.

You want to know how to do a Scooby film right? Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. That movie, right there, was so great, that the animated Scooby films have tried desperately to follow it's formula ever since and since Witch's Ghost and Alien Invaders and Cyber Chase, they've gotten progressively worse. Zombie Island had the perfect scares, perfect soundtrack, perfect characterization, perfect plot, perfect acting, perfect everything for a Scooby Doo film. The problem is that the "investigators used to catching criminals in masks end up at a real haunted place" schtick can only work SO much.

However, I positively despised the sequel, Monsters Unleashed. The only thing I liked in that movie was the Seth Green is he the evil one or not subplot with Velma. I think ultimately the reporter character is what ruined it for me. So so awful.

Last edited:
I actually like the 2nd one more of than the 1st one but I didn't hate the 1st one that much.

The movie felt like a finale to the old show, what with Scrappy being kicked out and trying to get revenge. It was a smart move and I still find the first movie to be a good example of how to adapt a kids' cartoon without much in the way of continuous story arcs for the big screen.

Actually I would argue Witch's Ghost is on par with Zombie Island, because it still has a nice soundtrack and creepy villains. Plus Tim Curry. Alien Invaders was ok, and actually different than the first two, but not nearly as good. Cyber chase and beyond went downhill, especially once they dropped the real monsters stuff. I loved those movies as a kid, and I love them now as the cast seems more grown up and pretty relatable.

I was saying that they didn't start getting progressively worse until Cyber Chase, so we agree.

Wow I forgot all about Zombie Island and the Witches ghost etcetera. Man I used to love those films as a kid and they really scared me when I was younger.

The live action movies were alright, I remember enjoying them when I was a bairn but I imagine I'd hate them now.

I'm glad I peeked in this thread. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia.

I think some of you are due to rewatch Zombie Island to see how a real Scooby Doo film is done.

The film turns 20 years old today!!!

Loved it then, loved it now. WB really should've done a 3rd one and adapted Zombie Island.

While I don’t really think it’s the ideal adaptation that could be made, I do think it’s better than it seems to get credit for.

I haven't seen this in well over a decade but I remember having such fun with it when I was a kid. I imagine I'd still enjoy this, even today. Zombie Island is still the absolute gold standard when it comes to Scooby Doo movies though.

They could definitely do a better adaptation, but as we’ve seen with Scoob and those terrible DTV, much worse as well.

But I have a fondness like I do for the first Flintstones in just terms of production values. And Matthew Lillard is the MVP with a spot on Shaggy.

Sorry, can't say much good about these movies. Velma and Shaggy were well cast so there's that. Alvin and the Chipmunks is far less annoying with their live action outings to me honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"