Season 1, Episode 11: "A Brief Reminiscence In-Between Cataclysmic Events" (SPOILERS)

I never liked how Superman was portrayed on the Supergirl show, but I understood it because at the end of the day, Supergirl was the main star. Now if they relegate Superman to having to be saved by Supergirl on HIS OWN SHOW, I will throw a hissy fit. I would rather the two shows be their own entities and not have any crossovers to prop the other one up.

Nah, I'd need a reason. Either a radically different upbringing or brainwashing/possession, whichever one is fine with me. But it can't be, "he's just evil, because Alt-Earth!"

It'd be pretty simple for the Jor-El/Lara to be more like conquerors or different upbringing thats the point. It's an alternate Earth, things would happen differently.

I never liked how Superman was portrayed on the Supergirl show, but I understood it because at the end of the day, Supergirl was the main star. Now if they relegate Superman to having to be saved by Supergirl on HIS OWN SHOW, I will throw a hissy fit. I would rather the two shows be their own entities and not have any crossovers to prop the other one up.

I'm pretty sure that he's saved her once or twice on her own show, her showing up to get him out of a debacle would and should be fine. Given the storyline that they are wanting to tell here, either mention why they cant get in contact with her or have her be taken out by Edge when she arrives.

Supergirl has had to support Superman and he is the reason why we have this show after all so just as we've gone the entire thing "where is Superman? Why isn't he mentioned here?" it doesnt change now that he has his own show and she is never mentioned. Even Buffy showed up on Angel and Angel was allowed to save the day and vice versa.

That is a reason why I’m weary about having Supergirl crossing over especially with the idea of saving Superman on his own show.

It'd be pretty simple for the Jor-El/Lara to be more like conquerors or different upbringing thats the point. It's an alternate Earth, things would happen differently.
But usually in alt-Earth stories, people are different because something happened differently to change their fates. Not because they are inherently different. That would just be boring, imo.

It’s the multiverse. There’s different versions of the character out there just because. Doesn’t have to be a reason to it.

But usually in alt-Earth stories, people are different because something happened differently to change their fates. Not because they are inherently different. That would just be boring, imo.

And whose to say that something didnt happen with Krypton. Not every Krypton on every Earth is going to be the same just like with all of the different origins we've gotten in the comics. It is no different from us getting the Krypton where they have children biologically to the Krypton where the children are practically grown in tubes. That alone is a major difference.

What a wonderful episode. This story truly felt like the perfect blend of the Donner films mixed with Man of Steel, modern comics (Superman Smashes the Klan, the family aspect) while adding their own spin to it with the Edge story. There is just a great sense of love and care both the classic and the modern intreperations of Superman.

And whose to say that something didnt happen with Krypton. Not every Krypton on every Earth is going to be the same just like with all of the different origins we've gotten in the comics. It is no different from us getting the Krypton where they have children biologically to the Krypton where the children are practically grown in tubes. That alone is a major difference.
Fair enough. It's just FAR more interesting to me to have those differences be directly altering the course of our protagonist's fate than to just say, "he just IS that way here (because of something generations ago on Krypton)!"

Also, this story's kinda starting to remind me of "The Day of the Krypton Man" arc now, where Supes was possessed by The Eradicator.

That is a reason why I’m weary about having Supergirl crossing over especially with the idea of saving Superman on his own show.

I think there is a difference between saving him and being the savior of the overall story/saving the day. Is she never allowed to save him? He saved her afterall

I pray to God they don’t mess this show up after the first season. I loved Arrow and The Flash first seasons but the quality dropped significantly as both series went on. The CW doesn’t have a good track record of consistent quality with their shows.

Sadly, I think that's the reason why the Tyler Hoechilin Superman gets a lot of hate and apathy. Understandably so.

This show has done a great job to redeem the character, especially since he's playing a different version of that character on S+L.

The 'jobber' Superman from Supergirl should never be revisited. It was an embarrassing portrayal, and I'm sure there were specific reasons in the writers room for handling Superman in that manner.

I did get a good laugh out of that scene linked above. Brandon Routh shrinking the Tyler Hoechilin Superman, while Supergirl saves him by 'throwing like a girl.' The unintentional meta-commentary is priceless. And this was the conclusion to big major final battle of COIE... :ebr:

E4cHLOzWYAIHCxz

Barely noticeable but they extended his neck with the VFX for some reason and it's making me laugh

There was a temporary VFX shot of Edge's Fortress left in the CTV broadcast version of the episode. It even had "Temp VFX" watermarks and timestamps on it. So weird.

There was a temporary VFX shot of Edge's Fortress left in the CTV broadcast version of the episode. It even had "Temp VFX" watermarks and timestamps on it. So weird.
Whoa. That's crazy. I didn't see that in the US broadcast. Of course it's entirely possible that I was distracted at the moment and missed it, though.

Whoa. That's crazy. I didn't see that in the US broadcast. Of course it's entirely possible that I was distracted at the moment and missed it, though.
Oh you wouldn't have missed this. It was a good 10 seconds at least.

It’s the multiverse. There’s different versions of the character out there just because. Doesn’t have to be a reason to it.

Somewhere in the multiverse, lies an Earth where @Primal Slayer got her proper "Green Arrow and Black Canary" show with KC as it's female lead and another one that has me happily married to Caity Lotz. :o:gngl:

So...did Clark go to college while at the Fortress?

Holo-El probably hooked him up with some great online courses.

This is one of those elements introduced by Donner that I have never loved... The unsubtle Christ allusion of Clark leaving his human family as a young man, communing with his otherworldly father, and coming back a decade later as fully formed Superman persona.

I greatly prefer Waid's version of the origin from Birthright where Clark has a somewhat normal college experience and is trying to figure out his path on his own after college. Even the John Byrne version (which Lois and Clark adapted pretty closely) where Clark develops the Superman persona with the help of the Kents before even really knowing or understanding his Kryptonian heritage. I like how it portrays Clark as independent and proactive.

This is one of those elements introduced by Donner that I have never loved... The unsubtle Christ allusion of Clark leaving his human family as a young man, communing with his otherworldly father, and coming back a decade later as fully formed Superman persona.

I greatly prefer Waid's version of the origin from Birthright where Clark has a somewhat normal college experience and is trying to figure out his path on his own after college. Even the John Byrne version (which Lois and Clark adapted pretty closely) where Clark develops the Superman persona with the help of the Kents before even really knowing or understanding his Kryptonian heritage. I like how it portrays Clark as independent and proactive.
Yeah I'm honestly surprised that of all the specific plot elements to keep from the Donner version, they chose that one, which always felt especially..."out there" to me. Oh well.

I think one main thing might be the difference in the partners. On the other world, he obviously did not end up with Lois. With these flashbacks, I could see them setting up that he got back in time to marry Lana, who is NO Lois lane. Lois is the KEY to getting CLARK. Not Superman BUT Clark. No bad guy has every understood why Superman would not use his powers's and pretend to be bumbling Clark. IN MY opinion, It has always been Superman that his mask and Clark is the real man. For the Arrowverse Superman they have always been VERY clear that he could not live without Lois. He told Kara this several times. She is the Key the other universes did not have. Not to mention twin sons with his abilities.I assume Jon will show up in very cool moment.

Rewatching on my Amazon Prime version now (doesn't appear to have any extended/added scenes this week :( ), and I forgot to mention in my review, this Martha actress is finally growing on me. Really liked her scenes this week.

Also I loved that they actually showed Clark getting the dry cleaning for Perry. :funny:

And Superman Superfan Jerry Seinfeld is gonna love that it's now canon that Clark loves his show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"