Season 1, Episode 3: "The Perks of Not Being A Wallflower" (SPOILERS)

I like it looking cinematic. But I also don't like the color grading on things. I like the more color, poppy look and feel for the show.

Why has he left?
Rotating DP's is standard in TV. The DP of a pilot rarely stays on for more than a few episodes. Especially in broadcast network TV, as this is partly due to production schedules on various episodes sometimes overlapping.

I can’t believe it just dawned on me, but I think Captain Luthor is the good Lex from Earth 2.

I’d love to see more elements taken from JLA: Earth 2. Great story from Morrison, great art from Quitely. Or even some Justice Lords influence? Either way, very cool that we’re getting a semi heroic Lex instead of Earth 1 Lex.

lex_10.jpg

Last edited:
I'm honestly bored of all Lex Luthor stories. Second to that is General Zod stories. Give us some new villains we don't usually see.

Bob Morley as Metallo
Terry Crews as Lobo
Allison Scagliotti as Livewire
Jensen Ackles as Parasite
James Marsters as Brainiac
Sasha Roiz as Mongul
T.J. Thyne as Toyman/A robot built by the original Winslow Schott, implanted with his personality
Joseph Morgan as General Zod
Brandon Routh as Bizarro
Kevin Durand or David Harbour as Darkseid

Last edited:
Terry Crews as Lobo? Dude I love it. I always thought Kevin Durand would be a good Lobo back in the day too haha.

I'd prefer someone like Henry Cavill as Bizarro because he's much more bulky. Also Brandon Routh has already played Ray Palmer and Crisis Superman. I want someone different for a change.

What I wouldn't want is Tyler Hoechlin as Bizarro. That would be lazy.

Im still impressed with this show. Even Jordan had a really nice moment with the apologize at the football field to Sarahs boyfriend. I didnt expeced that. We will see how the season turns out, it seems we have a lot of villains here.

I find Captain Luthor boring but I don't think of him as Lex Luthor. I'd like a better version of Lex Luthor.

The bridge collapsing in Guizhou sequence looked partially real. Superman flying with the camera behind him looked pretty good, but hard to describe the rest the scene. The rocks falling from the bridge looked fake. Certain elements within one shot had some things looking real, with others looking fake. All in all, the CGI looked incomplete. This series still has a film quality-look overall though. I hope this series maintains making the effects look as good as the first two episodes. Superman battling Captain Luthor in space in the pilot episode looked very real and cinematic. Don't get me wrong though, in some parts of the flight chasing sequence, the shot after Superman takes off to the skies to catch Luthor (after crashing landing in a shop in Shanghai)...you see the tiny CGI model, although Superman is flying fast, you can still see the unfinished CGI.

I'd prefer someone like Henry Cavill as Bizarro because he's much more bulky. Also Brandon Routh has already played Ray Palmer and Crisis Superman. I want someone different for a change.
I think it could be hidden with makeup and such, and I think him looking like another version could add to the situation. But also, I think Cavill may be a harder get.

Clark showing up at Jordan's football practice reminded me of this scene from "Smallville".

I think it was Byrne who first reimagined Clark as an athlete and football hero in his teenaged years. The intent was to have him stand apart from the more nerdy, Reeve-esque portrayal that had become all but synonymous with the character in the eighties and early nineties. To further emphasize Clark's masculinity, Byrne regularly drew him with rolled-up sleeves, body hair, etc. And from what I've seen of recent comics and live-action castings (Welling, Cavill, Hoechlin), it's clear that the writer-artist's influence can still be felt today.

ManofSteel0005.jpg

Having seen three episodes now, imo this is the best thing to happen to Superman in years! It's full of drama, and umpredictable. It's fun, and at heart it's a joy, it's a feel good serie who capture Superman spirit like few before in any medium. :up:

ps: True, in the opening the effects were a little less impressive this time, but damn that room fight!

Overall, yes it was a little less cinematic visually, they can do better, like we saw the first two episodes.

ps : it's a battle between Superman and Stargirl for best dc series at the moment. :up:

Last edited:
Also, who was that at the end of the episode? Anyone established or is this a new character?
Whoever she is, she's no doubt from the same Earth as Captain Luther.

Maybe she'll turn out to be (an evil) Power Girl? Or a good one under the illusion that Earth-Prime Clark will become evil too?

Or she is that other Kryptonian that's been mentioned here already.

Whoever she is, she's no doubt from the same Earth as Captain Luther.

Maybe she'll turn out to be (an evil) Power Girl? Or a good one under the illusion that Earth-Prime Clark will become evil too?

Or she is that other Kryptonian that's been mentioned here already.
I think she'll end up being another single power person like subjekt-11 who was super strong

I think she'll end up being another single power person like subjekt-11 who was super strong
I think she'll be more than that. You don't introduce a seemingly organic character with heat vision in a Superman show and make them not Kryptonian. :p

Yeah, not to wax philosophical, but "angst" is a perfectly normal condition in both teens and even some adults. And, like it or not, the off-putting factor kind of comes with the territory. Hence, to gripe about that being conveyed through Garfin's acting is a bit like complaining about a depressed character's inclination toward feelings of sadness. That said, there definitely needs to be some nuance to his approach. As others have said, if we keep getting the samey outburst thing from him, it's gonna get old really fast.

Yeah, he definitely has range. A good actor who overdoes it some of the time is still better than one who comes across wooden all of the time. lol

I think you misunderstand my point. Angst is normal in everyone .

What I'm referring in terms of "angst" to is "teen angst" and alot of times the CW has even their adult characters act like "angsty teenager's" , which tends not to come off well in terms of how the CW writers tend to execute it.

That's been a constant complaint of CW shows going back to the 90s , so I'm not saying anything controversial or new.

But as I said earlier, that stuff is priced in to the CW . That's their thing ,and you except it from a CW show . It is , what it is.

As far as the Garfin goes, let me be clear , I'm not complaining about Garfin's acting . He's a good actor , and I said as much. I have no problem with him as an actor.

If I had problems with him as an actor, I would say so. That's why I agreed, Garfin can act.

I'm complaining about the writing of his character. Garfin can't control whether the character is angsty , that's the creators of the show. Garfin is doing his job in following the script and direction. When I have issues with how a character is written I go to the writers and creators, not the actor.

Alot of times fans will conflate their complaints with a character with the actor, when the issue is usually with the writers.

When I talk about nuance and balance , I'm talking about the writers and the show creators, not the actor. Again, he's a good actor. I prefer good actors in these parts to pretty faces who can't act.

I don't mind him being angsty. My concern is that that's all he becomes. That's why I said , it will get old fast because he's at risk of becoming a one note character. That's all my point was. Again, I'm critical of the creators not the actor. Those are two separate things.

I think you misunderstand my point. Angst is normal in everyone .

What I'm referring in terms of "angst" to is "teen angst" and alot of times the CW has even their adult characters act like "angsty teenager's" , which tends not to come off well in terms of how the CW writers tend to execute it.

That's been a constant complaint of CW shows going back to the 90s , so I'm not saying anything controversial or new.

But as I said earlier, that stuff is priced in to the CW . That's their thing ,and you except it from a CW show . It is , what it is.

As far as the Garfin goes, let me be clear , I'm not complaining about Garfin's acting . He's a good actor , and I said as much. I have no problem with him as an actor.

If I had problems with him as an actor, I would say so. That's why I agreed, Garfin can act.

I'm complaining about the writing of his character. Garfin can't control whether the character is angsty , that's the creators of the show. Garfin is doing his job in following the script and direction. When I have issues with how a character is written I go to the writers and creators, not the actor.

Alot of times fans will conflate their complaints with a character with the actor, when the issue is usually with the writers.

When I talk about nuance and balance , I'm talking about the writers and the show creators, not the actor. Again, he's a good actor. I prefer good actors in these parts to pretty faces who can't act.

I don't mind him being angsty. My concern is that that's all he becomes. That's why I said , it will get old fast because he's at risk of becoming a one note character. That's all my point was. Again, I'm critical of the creators not the actor. Those are two separate things.

I understood what you were getting it; I was speaking in general terms.

I understood what you were getting it; I was speaking in general terms.

Okay. In that case then , I don't think we really disagree.

I think both young actors are good . There may be people who don't like Jordan as a character , but the young man who plays him is very good as an actor.

I've never seen him before this, but he's got talent.

On a side note, I'm old enough to remember when Tyler was literally a kid acting with Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law and Daniel Craig in Road to Perdition.

If you can hang them in the acting realm, you got talent.

Okay. In that case then , I don't think we really disagree.

I think both young actors are good . There may be people who don't like Jordan as a character , but the young man who plays him is very good as an actor.

I've never seen him before this, but he's got talent.

On a side note, I'm old enough to remember when Tyler was literally a kid acting with Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law and Daniel Craig in Road to Perdition.

If you can hang them in the acting realm, you got talent.

Same. When I first saw him in Road, I remember thinking, "This kid would make a pretty good Dick Grayson or a young Bruce Wayne." Who knew he was destined to play the "Big Blue" instead?

I think she'll be more than that. You don't introduce a seemingly organic character with heat vision in a Superman show and make them not Kryptonian. :p
Actually, yeah you do. *g* I think the angle is gonna be that the small town folk who have gone missing have become test subjects for Edge who tries to create his own "Superman" but manages to only replicate one superpower per person. So the dude got super strenght and the lady got heatvision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"