Season 1, Episode 3: "The Perks of Not Being A Wallflower" (SPOILERS)

Well, the angsty teen stuff is priced into nearly CW show, and is almost a requirement at this point. Even their shows featuring strictly adults can sometimes have the adults acting like angsty teens.

The problem is when they go overboard and end up making the character unlikable. Hopefully with Jordan ,they'll learn to balance that stuff ,and make him more than just the broody teen.

As far as Garfin goes, I agree the kid is a good actor.

At the same time, the guy who plays Johnathan just has a natural charm and personality while conveying that there's more going on under the surface. Johnathan is actually the character I find more interesting , but that's just me.

Yeah, not to wax philosophical, but "angst" is a perfectly normal condition in both teens and even some adults. And, like it or not, the off-putting factor kind of comes with the territory. Hence, to gripe about that being conveyed through Garfin's acting is a bit like complaining about a depressed character's inclination toward feelings of sadness. That said, there definitely needs to be some nuance to his approach. As others have said, if we keep getting the samey outburst thing from him, it's gonna get old really fast.

Yeah, he definitely has range. A good actor who overdoes it some of the time is still better than one who comes across wooden all of the time. lol

Sure. I totally agree about Elsass having those qualities, and as Jon is written in a way that allows him to come across more amicable and well-rounded, it's easy to see why he'd be the more popular of the brothers for some.

Can someone explain something to me: I thought Jordan didn't have any powers. I swore the hologram Jor-El said he didn't have enough energy to sustain heightened abilities.

As per Jor-El, Jordan isn't capable of exhibiting heat vision and the like "on command", i.e., by sheer force of will. In other words, there needs to be a catalyst of some kind (anger, frustration, etc.) that triggers the release of his powers. The slightly enhanced strength thing seems to be permanent, though.

THOUGHTS

• The opening scene with the paint was wholesome as ****. :hrt:
  • The effects are looking a little more CW.
  • I think the boys' reaction to Clark listening in on them was reasonable (even though they should've figured out he could do it the minute they were told he has super hearing) but Jordan doesn't have a lot of room to be upset with Clark for "checking in" when he was seconds away from lighting a kid on fire. And while we're on the subject...
  • Clark shouldn't have needed Lois' help to figure out how to smooth things over with the boys. I love to see them working together as a team, but I don't think Clark should be so out of his depth as a parent that he can't come to common sense solutions without help.
  • Is there a legal reason why Clark isn't helping Lois with her investigation? Because if people don't feel comfortable talking to a reporter who isn't from Smallville, the obvious solution is to let Clark speak to them on her behalf, receive written permission to publish any relevant information, and go from there.
  • Jordan - overall likable, but annoying as all hell once he starts whining. Jonathan - shockingly emotionally intelligent for his age.
  • Lana and Sarah stole the show at the end. That's not something I thought I'd ever say, but it's the truth. Chriqui and Navarrette killed it. Killed it.
  • After two plus episodes of "Clark, Clark, Clark," it was a little strange to hear Lois refer to him as "Superman." I think this is the first time they've been in a scene together as Superman and Lois, too, which is kinda funny.
  • And finally..."I bought a hat!" Tyler Hoechlin is an international treasure and we need to protect him at all costs.
Three good episodes in a row! I can hardly believe it. :D

EDIT: Can't stop watching the hat moment. It's official: I have a man crush on Hoechlin. :oops:

With two strangers in the room, it makes perfect sense that Lois would only address him as "Superman" in order to protect his secret. She wouldn't just yell "Clark!" like Amy Adams' Lois has.

With two strangers in the room, it makes perfect sense that Lois would only address him as "Superman" in order to protect his secret. She wouldn't just yell "Clark!" like Amy Adams' Lois has.

I'm aware. I wasn't saying it didn't make sense. My point was that it was the tiniest bit jarring to hear her call him Superman to his face since I'm so used to her calling him Clark all the time.

Just watched the episode last night. I'm enjoying the China vibes personally, just because I grew up in China. Superman went to China twice in just two episodes. First in Shanghai, and in episode 3, Guizhou. Personally though, I have always wanted a Superman sequence actually shot in China, preferably in a movie though--in The Dark Knight fashion--I enjoyed the scenes in Hong Kong from The Dark Knight, because I also lived in HK, and I would have liked to have seen a sequence like that in similar capacity for a Superman movie. Obviously the CW didn't shoot that one scene in Shanghai from the pilot, but I enjoyed that scene nonetheless. They did a good job at making it look like Superman and Captain Luthor were in China. I look forward to seeing Superman travel to other countries throughout the course of the series. I'm hoping to see Superman visit more countries that don't get enough recognition.

I enjoyed both Clark and Superman's presence in this episode, albeit, I think to be nice to see Clark change into Superman more than twice per episode. We got to see more of Clark being a Dad, I think Tyler does a great job. For an actor that doesn't have kids, he plays the Dad role very convincingly. I have often found that several actors playing a parent role in a movie or TV series to be unconvincing sometimes, most likely because they don't have children of their own in real life, but Tyler somehow manages to pull it off.

I'm slightly concerned about the effects turning into the original CW quality. Maybe they'd have more time to complete the FX if they weren't on a tight schedule. For the most part though, the effects looked solid. The shots of Superman flying straight into the camera were good. I liked the shot from the pilot where Superman was flying over the Hunagpu river in Shanghai, albeit, the shot was too shaky. I think we need to move away from the typical action-hand-held-camera-style narrative. I want to be able to see the fights...or in this case, actually see Superman fly, if we're talking about some of the flying scenes. (James Wan is a good example to follow for action fight scenes)

I have to watch this episode again of course, but was the tall guy...another assistant for Morgan Edge? I'd think Morgan Edge should be more careful if he knows that Lois has a close connection with Superman. So who is Leslie Larr? The woman with heat vision at the end.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode much better than the second episode with one exception, being the scene with Lana and her daughter in the bedroom. Very soap opera. I hope the CW tries playing this series out more like a movie rather than an old-fashioned 2001-type-of-drama. If Sarah--oh, now I remember her name!--was a character in this, but say 'Superman & Lois' was a movie, or a series of films instead of a TV show--then I think she should just be portrayed as the girl that Jordan likes, seen from his perspective.

I really enjoyed Clark acting bumbling in this episode. I always missed that about Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Clark Kent. The code: Never act like Superman. Can't wait to see him be a Football coach assistant. Lastly, I didn't get too bored for Jordan and Jonathan in this episode. They're both likeable for me. I don't dislike Sarah Cushing but hope she doesn't get too much focus. Keep the focus on Superman and his family.

Thumbs up. :up:

I'm aware. I wasn't saying it didn't make sense. My point was that it was the tiniest bit jarring to hear her call him Superman to his face since I'm so used to her calling him Clark all the time.
It's kind of nice to hear that sometimes. I like it when the X-Men characters usually call each other by their real names, rather than their 'mutant names'. Or when Batman and Superman address each other by their real names. I like it better that way. But then again, I miss hearing that name "Superman" sometimes just because we only heard that name mentioned 3 times in "Man of Steel". You didn't hear too many people call Superman by his name to his face in Batman v Superman.

I don't know why I enjoyed this particular exchange so much, but it brought quite the smile to my face.

Lois: "I'll need to borrow your truck."
Clark (alluding to what just happened to her station wagon): "Are you gonna bring it back?"

Chef's kiss, as the whippersnappers like to say!

The effects this week looked more CGI and CW-ish. The bridge save didn't look all that realistic but computer generated. But apart from that, other non action parts of the episode also looked CW-ish. It was as if they just slapped and orange and teal filter over everything but some of the TV quality still showed through instead of looking more cinematic like the first two episodes. I think this is likely to be the standard for the series proper.

Didn't really enjoy all the teen stuff that much. They seem to play more than Clark.

I didn't realise that was Colossus. He must be fairly tall. What was he meant to be?

I don't know why I enjoyed this particular exchange so much, but it brought quite the smile to my face.

Lois: "I'll need to borrow your truck."
Clark (alluding to what just happened to her station wagon): "Are you gonna bring it back?"

Chef's kiss, as the whippersnappers like to say!

50/50! :hrt:

I love how unbothered Clark was that his wife was meeting some source in some seedy hotel late at night. He’s probably so used to it already. :funny:

The effects this week looked more CGI and CW-ish. The bridge save didn't look all that realistic but computer generated. But apart from that, other non action parts of the episode also looked CW-ish. It was as if they just slapped and orange and teal filter over everything but some of the TV quality still showed through instead of looking more cinematic like the first two episodes. I think this is likely to be the standard for the series proper.

Didn't really enjoy all the teen stuff that much. They seem to play more than Clark.

I didn't realise that was Colossus. He must be fairly tall. What was he meant to be?

The cinematic look of the first two episodes is largely attributed to Gavin Struthers. He's since departed the series.

You can read more about his contributions here.

Superman & Lois Preserves the 'Snyder Look': Shot on Panavision DXL2 and RED Monstro With B-Series Anamorphic - Y.M.Cinema - News & Insights on Digital Cinema

This was my favorite episode so far. Tulloch is a great Lois and Tyler rivals Reeve for best Superman. My whole family cheered when Lois hit the beacon button and the big man said “that won’t help you”. Then Lois said “no. But he will” just as Superman Kool-Aide Manned through the wall. Also Clark slowly rising behind the big guy after the beat down was awesome.

Its interesting. I liked this episode more than episode 2. That Captain Luthor stuff is boring to me. I am more interested in the Edge stuff, because it is directly tied to their stuff in Smallville. Frankly, I don't even care about having villains. I am enjoying all the family stuff in this show. I don't quite understand the "angsty" stuff, just because it all feels real to me. The actors are very good. Lois adjusting to a small local paper is going to be great. I actually want more of Clark trying to get the farm going again.

He's listed as "Subjekt-11", but I think that's like listing Luthor as "The Stranger" early on.

I'm guessing this character is Metallo, since:
  • Metallo was one of the first villains Superman fought after Byrne's "Man of Steel" reboot.
  • Metallo tends to get his human skin burned off, exposing his metal endoskeleton.
  • A kryptonite power cell could explain why the other new character attacked from a distance and didn't approach to confirm the kill.
  • Metallo is powered by kryptonite, Luthor needs kryptonite, and just like in the comics Luthor takes what he wants. I suppose the new Kryptonian could be the ally Luthor has been talking to on the radio, and so we might've seen step 1 of a kryptonite-harvesting operation instead of strictly an assassination attempt.
  • Having the actor who played a metal guy play another metal guy is the sort of joke the CW DC shows like, such as having Jeri Ryan's character be an old friend of Ollie's mother.

Last edited:
Metallo is who Tyler's Clark fought when he first showed up on Supergirl, so while I wouldn't rule out them rebooting him at some point on this show, I doubt they'd be double-dipping in that well so soon.

Metallo is who Tyler's Clark fought when he first showed up on Supergirl, so while I wouldn't rule out them rebooting him at some point on this show, I doubt they'd be double-dipping in that well so soon.
It looks like they've already done that. The Supergirl show had a different Morgan Edge, or at least Crisis substantially rewrote his criminal history and possibly his face (although maybe that's just due to recasting, and he still looks the same to characters in-universe). It would be in line with the comics, too, which had two Metallos (one who sought revenge on Superman for his brother's death).

6cdcfc52ade969d5129bc76a9c809368db6939b0.gifv

It looks like they've already done that. The Supergirl show had a different Morgan Edge, or at least Crisis substantially rewrote his criminal history and possibly his face (although maybe that's just due to recasting, and he still looks the same to characters in-universe). It would be in line with the comics, too, which had two Metallos (one who sought revenge on Superman for his brother's death).
Yeah but Supes (and Lois) never met Morgan Edge on Supergirl. Just as he never actually faced Lex Luthor in that show, either. They even did the "two Metallos" thing already with him there, too. I'm not ruling it out, I just doubt they'll go there this soon. But hey if it turns out you're right, I'll happily eat crow.

Rewrote his face? It rewrote his accent too.

I didn't realise that was Colossus. He must be fairly tall.

We interrupt this thread for a helpful COVID tip.

Many authorities define a safe social distance as “6 feet OR 2 meters.” But this isn’t very exact — as there’s a fair difference between the two measures.

So think of it this way: 6 feet apart is a “Tyler Hoechlin” distance. 2 meters apart is a “Daniel Cudmore” distance.

;nd

Still watchable. Even if it already felt a bit like those other horrid CW shows. I really hope the they manage to keep it looking better then the rest of the "Arrowverse" , Superman en deserves that.

The cinematic look of the first two episodes is largely attributed to Gavin Struthers. He's since departed the series.

You can read more about his contributions here.

Superman & Lois Preserves the 'Snyder Look': Shot on Panavision DXL2 and RED Monstro With B-Series Anamorphic - Y.M.Cinema - News & Insights on Digital Cinema

Why has he left? There's something about it now that looks fake cinematic. I hope it's not a gradual transition to CW aesthetics which might be slow and imperceptible at first, but one day we realise it looks exactly like the other shows when comparing with early Season 1 episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"