Season 1, Episode 6: "Broken Trust" (SPOILERS)

E1uzWhSWQAEM9Vv

tenor.gif

Metropolis is a port city, right? I'm trying to keep the MST3K theme song lyrics in mind while I wonder how a teenager in Kansas could reasonably be thought to have gone to Metropolis to see a game while her parents were out for dinner.

Metropolis is a port city, right? I'm trying to keep the MST3K theme song lyrics in mind while I wonder how a teenager in Kansas could reasonably be thought to have gone to Metropolis to see a game while her parents were out for dinner.

Yep. East coast.

The-Flash-Cisco-Ramon-Map-of-Arrowverse.jpg

Anyone else think that this would have been a good opportunity to have Superman place Tag under Lyla's protection at Argus?

Anyone else think that this would have been a good opportunity to have Superman place Tag under Lyla's protection at Argus?
Idk, but I'm very curious as to how Clark plans to look after him now that he doesn't trust the D.O.D. to do so. One of the deleted scenes in the extended ep was them taking Tag into custody and Superman promising him he wouldn't be alone this time.

Yep. East coast.

The-Flash-Cisco-Ramon-Map-of-Arrowverse.jpg
Yeah. After last night's ep, I'm starting to question whether Metropolis is still on the East Coast. Or, if like Smallville, they moved Metropolis to Kansas for logistic reasons. Basically, a souped up version of Kansas City to make it easier for the characters to travel back and forth between the two cities.

It's one thing for Clark/Superman to travel there split second. But the way the "normal" characters from Smallville "casually" travel to Metropolis or mention going there just doesn't seem realistic if Metropolis is far away on the East Coast. Especially for a teen like Sarah, whose family is supposedly struggling with money.......haha. Nevermind her parents letting their teen daughter travel half way across the country alone while they go on their dinner date. That doesn't make much sense, either, considering how much of a helicopter mom Lana is/has been to Sarah. And, imo, it would take more than just calling a babysitter for the night to watch the youngest daughter if Sarah was halfway across the country.

Also, considering that a HS football team from a small town in Kansas is playing against the football team from an "elite" HS in a big city like Metropolis. Now, I'm not well versed in the world of HS sports, so maybe it does happen. But again, it doesn't seem too realistic for a small town Midwest HS team to travel to the East Coast to play against an elite school. Seems like they wouldn't even be in the same league or orbit.

It would make much more sense if the teams were in the same "division" with Metropolis HS being the "big" school in Kansas and the cities being a few hours apart.

Using the real world as an example, I just don't see a small HS team from Topeka, KS going to New York to play against a New York HS team, no matter how "good" that Topeka HS team is. However, I could see a Topeka HS team going to Kansas City to compete against a HS team there because there are in the same region/division.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr.
Was I the only one that found Sarah's "No" remark to Tag, as she was closing the door, to be unintentionally funny in its delivery?

For me, "Broken Trust" was definitely one of the best episodes thus far. As one of the few to defend Clark's parenting skills in the past, it feels good to see my faith in him rewarded. Notwithstanding his various flaws, he's still one hell of a father! Case in point, the "rein it in" moment he has with Jordan on the field that @heatvision38 mentioned above. Apart from the obvious writing, what makes that scene work so well is the performance we get from both Tyler and Garfin. As is fairly common knowledge, good acting relies partly on how well one responds to nonverbal cues (tone of voice, facial expressions, etc.), and these two do such a great job playing off each other in that respect. Of course, the same can be said of other cast member interactions. But returning to Tyler for a second, the guy just gets it! His take on both Clark and Superman is so nuanced and refreshing that you can't help but cheer him on. Nowadays, everyone loves to throw around that "great power/great responsibility" catchphrase made famous by Spiderman, but Tyler's Supes aims to show us by virtue of not only his words, but also and especially his actions what it truly means. Like he tells Jordan, it's not that he's somehow immune to rash impulsivity. It's just that he makes the decision—every damn day—to keep those feelings in check for the greater good. It's a learning process, one that I like to think Jordan will eventually come to emulate.

As for the plot itself, it was great seeing the boys take on their old friends and rivals from Metropolis. Hope that's not the last we've seen of them. Also, I'd never even considered that Jordan might be suspected of juicing (that was kind of clever on the part of the writers). While on the subject of the brat wonder, he's clearly not a big favorite around these parts, but I've really been digging his character arc and am very much looking forward to what he ultimately does with his newfound powers.
What else? Oh yeah. Seeing Superman go to bat for Tag the way he does is nothing short of perfection. You could tell that Tag himself was incredibly humbled that someone as virtuous as the "Big Blue" would still defend him in spite of everything. That simple act of kindness can make all the difference in a young, would-be criminal's life, as it opens new and important pathways for redemption. Lastly, Lois teaming up with Luthor and discovering X-Kryptonite was definitely productive if not terribly interesting. I like how quickly she was able to deduce that he isn't who he says he is.

Can't wait for the next episode!

So CW should've tacked on a "Previously On" montage. You put the show off for over a month and then we jump right back to where we left off lol.

I laughed that Disney+ is the sponsor for this episode.

:huh: I saw a "previously on" for the episode i watched. Tyler Hoechlin was the one who voiced it.

A better episode compared to the one where we left off. And more Superman in this one. I hope Luthor realises that this is not the same Superman as his world.

Someone should introduce Captain Luthor to Jon Cryer's Lex and ask him if he's anything like that villain. No? Well then he shouldn't assume Superman is the same as his one.

Jordan is still as annoying as ever.

They did have one on my feed.

Anyway, so great to have this show back!

My frustrations with Jordan aside, I thought this was a really good ep. I saw the Lois/Lana team-up coming a mile away, as soon as Edge took special interest in her, but it was still nice to see. Looking forward to more of that. Also glad we finally got a Lois/Jordan scene. Until now, it seemed like the parenting was divided up between the Supers (Clark/Jordan) and the non-Supers (Lois/Jon), so it's good to switch that up every now and then. Lois catching on quickly to the "Marcus" charade (even before they were attacked and he busted out his mysterious tech) was a pleasant surprise too.

Clark's speeches in this episode (there were a few) were all really good, and SO perfectly Superman, imo. We even got a "you're stronger than you think you are," though in radically different context from All-Star, of course. But my nerdy side is just glad to be able to read that panel and hear it in Tyler's voice. :D

A minor detail I liked, was how Clark altered his voice when telling those soldiers to stand down. Something that's there in the comics but rarely addressed in most media is that Clark should have that "Super vocal cords" ability that the Flash does on his show and almost never uses it, so it was cool to see some hint of that here.

Considering his suit instantly started repairing itself when he pulled out that Kryptonite he was stabbed with in the pilot, I think it's fair to assume that suit is some form of "armor" and offers him a bit of Kryptonite resistance.

Next week looks awesome. :up:

Imagine if Clark put on an Oliver Queen Green Arrow voice with vocal modulator and said ""You need to stand down!"

I remember Ollie saying that and thinking he sounded ridiculous.

Did I hear correctly that Clark arrived in Metropolis 20 years ago? So that would make him around 38? Tyler Hoechlin is 33 and Bitsie Tulloch 40 so that's sort of refreshing. The guy playing an older character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"