Falcon and Winter Soldier Season 1, Episode 6: "One World, One People" (Series Finale)

On the matter of Sharon, I actually kind of hope she actually *is* the Power Broker, no skrulls involved. Yes, I know, in the comics she is not a villain at all, whereas this would have her be a villain flat out. However, the fundamental issue is that the entirety of her character concept and niche in the comics? Was already taken up by other people in the MCU, mainly Natasha Romanov but also Maria Hill. By the time Sharon was introduced in Winter Soldier, there was basically no *room* for her, not to be anything resembling her comic incarnation. Which is, IMO, why every use of her was so awkward or reluctant, not out of antipathy but simply for lack of a good reason. She appeared because it seemed like she should, except. . . she kind of shouldn't.

Making Sharon a villain, the fallen child of the Carter legacy who decided to go into business for herself? Is an actual distinct niche, that would play off both expectations of her in story, and give her something to do other than be "Transparent Natasha Romanov Replacement" ( which we might be getting anyway, grr. . . ). The fact that she's not a *complete* heartless monster, and so is actually capable of having sympathy or sentiment to people she actually does care about? Is a big plus, because it means she can collaborate with heroes, and also makes the betrayal more painful.

Sharon Carter pretty much turned into Emily Thorne from Revenge by the end of the episode. All her motives are hidden and she's out to get the people who betrayed her while keeping up an appearance of civility when she's really plotting behind the scenes.

Sharon turning into a villain after feeling betrayed and abandoned by the government she'd devoted her life to (and really, she was betrayed and abandoned when everyone else got pardoned and she was just left to fend for herself in Madripoor) frankly makes her, at least conceptually, more interesting than she's ever been before in the MCU (which isn't saying much), but I wish some of her actions and motives during the show were better-explained. Like if Nagel was the golden goose creating more super-serum, why did she lead Bucky, Sam, and Zemo to him? Surely she knew Zemo wants to kill people like Nagel.

All in all, loved this episode and this show. It wasn’t perfect but I had a blast and some moments like the Smithsonian scene with Isaiah at the end made me cry. Mackie and Stan were great leads and I can’t wait to see where they take the characters next.

I don't know why Sharon would also hire Batroc to kill Falcon. I know she wanted him to spy on Karli, or that's what she told her, but it seems that she obviously realised that Batroc killing Falcon could still be a real possibility. Why would she want Sam dead or allow for such an outcome? It's not like he abandoned her since he was snapped.

Sharon's actions in this series don't make a ton of sense, but I may have an explanation for this one. She hired Batroc to keep an eye on Karli, as later revealed, and Georges explanation - that he was there to kill Falcon - was a lie.

But Batroc, being the A-hole he is in the comics, couldn't help himself from challenging Sam to a fight when he showed up with a fancy new outfit wielding the shield. Georges wanted to show up this New Cap AND he was still POd about Sam foiling his last mission. But Sharon did not direct him to do so.

I like Evil Sharon much better than the earnest Peggy Carter lite we got in her first appearances. But I still got nothing on her decision making regarding Nagle.

They make a compelling case for him to be Captain America so I'm willing to give it a shot, but it does always feel like we're making unnecessary comparisons to a previously existing character. I would've been fine with just making Falcon interesting.

This is where I stand. I would have preferred that they just focused on doing what they could to solidify Falcon as a character for people to embrace and love. Right or wrong, there is always going to be the Steve Rogers shadow.

To me it shows a lack of faith in the characters you introduced in the first place. Unfortunately, I think it will not have near the success they are hoping for when they make Captain America 4.

To me it shows a lack of faith in the characters you introduced in the first place. Unfortunately, I think it will not have near the success they are hoping for when they make Captain America 4.

Every "racism-is-bad"-movie slays in the US these days. It will never beat Black Panther or Avengers but it will easy pass Shang-Chi. If they adress an actual politic touch in this and its not so klunky, I can even see a soft Oscar run in 3-4 categories.

So, Zemo has fulfilled its mission again. All flagsmashers dead. 2/2

All but one, theoretically. Four Flagsmashers died in the truck, as confirmed by the news report, but there was a fifth one unaccounted for that Sam went out to fight/rescue. So there could be one surviving Flagsmasher.

Honestly, I suspect Zemo would be reasonably satisfied with this outcome, an imperfect win is still a win.

All but one, theoretically. Four Flagsmashers died in the truck, as confirmed by the news report, but there was a fifth one unaccounted for that Sam went out to fight/rescue. So there could be one surviving Flagsmasher.

Honestly, I suspect Zemo would be reasonably satisfied with this outcome, an imperfect win is still a win.

Zemo is a military-minded pragmatist, I'm sure he'll count his losses and consider the operation at least moderately successful. He wanted Karli eliminated first and foremost, and he got that.

He’ll need to kill US Agent.

Not really. He just needs to note "I'm worried about supermen acting as symbols and false idols, setting themselves as gods above men. Here, there is clearly no need to worry about Walker getting anyone to deify him ever again, so he is harmless." Cutting and true simultaneously. ;)

I had completely forgotten about the Armor Wars show that's also coming and I actually see Sharon Carter/Power Broker being in that more likely than Secret Invasion. Armor Wars is supposed to start shooting in a couple of months, according to Don Cheadle.

I like Evil Sharon much better than the earnest Peggy Carter lite we got in her first appearances. But I still got nothing on her decision making regarding Nagle.
On the bridge to Madripoor, Sam says "Let me guess, we don’t have any friends in High Town", and Zemo gives a slight, ironic-looking shake of his head. He seems to have been expecting help the whole time, though not from a friend. In the alley, Sharon says to Sam, "You cost me everything". We’re led to believe she was talking about what happened at the club, but I think Sharon had been making a deal with Zemo when Sam and Bucky stole her leverage by breaking Zemo out of prison. Sharon had to offer Zemo something else, then, to keep him on board with her plan, and Nagle was all she had left that he wanted.

I loved Sam's new suit it fit well and just had a great design. I didn't know it was a series finale though, unless they do a spin off so not a 2nd season but still connected. I don't see Sharon/Power Broker being involved in the grand scheme of the movies. US Agent I don't see being in the movies either so I am expecting some kind of series that brings them back.

It will be nice to see if Sam appears in the movies again as a Cap. I don't think Bucky is retired so if a fight breaks out he would be willing to help. Zemo can still call shots from his cell so maybe he appears again.

My guess is Captain America 4 has Sam, Bucky, Val and some form of the Thunderbolts. Maybe a small team, with just US Agent, Zemo, Ghost and Abomination maybe.

Sharon if a skrull leads into Secret Invasion.

Sharon if not a Skrull leads into Armor Wars and those top secret government weapons are weaponized suits based off the Iron Man armor.

I thought this at first as well, but upon a rewatch I don’t think there’s another. There was the big guy, Lennox, that Sharon took out. Then Karli and 3 others were on the ground with the trucks. Karli’s killed (also by Sharon), Bucky and Walker capture the other 3. With the helicopter pilot one, that leaves 4 alive at the end of the fight. In the radio report that Zemo is listening to after his butler set off the explosion, it says that 4 Flagsmashers were killed, which accounts for all of them. Sam must’ve already rescued the one from the river and handed him over for transport with the others prior to when we saw the transport blow up

I kind of wonder why Isiah's story has to be a tragedy - although I do like that Sam was able to get the Smithsonian to make an exhibit for him ( although that could have used a little explanation ). But is it necessary that it be a story about betrayal and exploitation. Perhaps it could have been a story about unity.

Marvel has always reflected the real world in some way, shape, or form. Isiah was a black man living in 1950's America, where they made black people drink from dirty water fountains. Where they hung black men from trees and were acquitted in the face of obvious guilt.

The story you seem to want for Isiah feels dishonest, and would've caught flak from a number of viewers. And rightfully so.

The Isiah Bradley story is a 21st century addition to the Captain America lore, and it's tragic- but I can't help but wonder if it's the story America really needs right now.

Considering there are still plenty of Americans who want to downplay, ignore, or are pretty unaware of institutional racism and how it has and still affects African Americans, yes, this is definitely the story America needs right now.

TA large proportion of the stories we seem to get coming out of America seem to be about how terrible race relations are. So do they need to be reminded by the MCU as well ?

Again, Marvel has always reflected real world issues and current events.

Have American people suddenly forgotten about slavery, segregation, the KKK, lynchings, the Tulsa riots or current questions around institutional and grassroots racism ? Or are race relations suddenly going to make staggering leaps forward because of this show ? Possibly not.

In regards to the bolded....if it doesn't...so what? Doesn't make what this show did any less valid.

Maybe the MCU America is a more racist place than the real world because real life Americans managed to elect an African American President, which looks to me to be significantly more important than an African American Captain America. But what do I know ? I'm not American.

Honestly, judging from your post, I wouldn't have been able to tell. There are a lot of Americans who don't want to see depictions of race relations unless its like, say, "Green Book". Which...says a lot.

Every "racism-is-bad"-movie slays in the US these days. It will never beat Black Panther or Avengers but it will easy pass Shang-Chi. If they adress an actual politic touch in this and its not so klunky, I can even see a soft Oscar run in 3-4 categories.

Oscar run? Boy that is very optimistic. I'm just hoping for a good film. Marvel is hit and miss these days. I think it will be a solid hit, but it's not going to be some massive money maker either.

I look forward to Shang-Chi, as I have always been a sucker for martial arts heavy films, but that is another unknown property that will likely be solely dependent on the Marvel brand. Captain America 4 should outdraw it.

On the bridge to Madripoor, Sam says "Let me guess, we don’t have any friends in High Town", and Zemo gives a slight, ironic-looking shake of his head. He seems to have been expecting help the whole time, though not from a friend. In the alley, Sharon says to Sam, "You cost me everything". We’re led to believe she was talking about what happened at the club, but I think Sharon had been making a deal with Zemo when Sam and Bucky stole her leverage by breaking Zemo out of prison. Sharon had to offer Zemo something else, then, to keep him on board with her plan, and Nagle was all she had left that he wanted.

That's about as good an explanation as I have heard. But Zemo killed her golden goose, smashed all the vials and then knocked off the remaining super soldiers who may have been useful in recreating the serum. That's a high cost to pay for getting Zemo on her side. Wouldnt it have been smarter just to have Zemo offed the second he showed his face in Madripoor?

That's about as good an explanation as I have heard. But Zemo killed her golden goose, smashed all the vials and then knocked off the remaining super soldiers who may have been useful in recreating the serum. That's a high cost to pay for getting Zemo on her side. Wouldnt it have been smarter just to have Zemo offed the second he showed his face in Madripoor?
Sharon still needs him and his connections for the Thunderbolts or something. Supersoldiers are useful, but giving people power makes them harder to control.

Not really. He just needs to note "I'm worried about supermen acting as symbols and false idols, setting themselves as gods above men. Here, there is clearly no need to worry about Walker getting anyone to deify him ever again, so he is harmless." Cutting and true simultaneously. ;)

Helmut is going to have to be a bit flexible with his credo if he is to lead Not Val's Thunderbolt/Dark Avengers squad. Given his elitism, I wouldn't be shocked if he is okay with supermen acting as symbols so long as he is directing their actions.

That would make sense.

What did Sharon want from Zemo though? Help finding/killing Karli?

I loved Sam's new suit it fit well and just had a great design. I didn't know it was a series finale though, unless they do a spin off so not a 2nd season but still connected. I don't see Sharon/Power Broker being involved in the grand scheme of the movies. US Agent I don't see being in the movies either so I am expecting some kind of series that brings them back.

It will be nice to see if Sam appears in the movies again as a Cap. I don't think Bucky is retired so if a fight breaks out he would be willing to help. Zemo can still call shots from his cell so maybe he appears again.
He's getting his own movie as Cap

'Captain America 4' in the Works With 'Falcon and the Winter Soldier' Showrunner Malcolm Spellman (Exclusive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"