Season 3, Episode 11: “Complications” (SPOILERS)

When my oldest son had his first girlfriend, I took him aside and said “listen. This girl is nice. She’s great and she’s pretty. But you guys have lots of hormones going through your bodies. You will think that you’re in love. You might even have thoughts that she might be the girl that you’ll marry in 5-10 years. But trust me, those same hormones that make you think this will lead to you all most likely breaking up in somewhere between 2-6 months from now. It won’t be because either of you are bad people. It’ll just be because of your chemistry in your body. But my advice: don’t use the ‘L’ word with her. You’ll feel a lot of stuff that you will think is love. But it really won’t be.” And then I told him that my expectation was that despite my best advice, he won’t listen and that he would probably do it anyway. But just to know that when he is heartbroken, that his family would be there without judgment. Two months later he was moody and then said “remember all that advice you gave me? You were right and I was stupid.” To which I said “no. You were a 15 year old boy just like your dad was. Don’t worry. This will happen a couple more times but you’ll get better at it.”

The old adage is true: teenage romances are a candle that burns hot but burns short.

We've all been teenagers but we also haven't had our 3 weeks or so relationship be revealed to be the son of the guy who tried to kill my dad and then bf who manipulates the system to set their mother free who kills people left and right.

But like I said...she lost her entire world so maybe she just wants to turn a blind eye and feel like she's in love. Ill see how the remainder of the season plays out but thus far i think they've played it very stereotypical instead of adding the depth it can have. Also playing out the relationship longer before all these reveals would've been better

We've all been teenagers but we also haven't had our 3 weeks or so relationship be revealed to be the son of the guy who tried to kill my dad and then bf who manipulates the system to set their mother free who kills people left and right.
Maybe you haven’t, but if I had a nickel for every time….:D

This episode didn't quite hit my triggers as much as the Succession pilot did, but there was enough that I may have kind of tuned out a lot of the episode.

Still the final scene with Preia and Clark was wonderful.

When my oldest son had his first girlfriend, I took him aside and said “listen. This girl is nice. She’s great and she’s pretty. But you guys have lots of hormones going through your bodies. You will think that you’re in love. You might even have thoughts that she might be the girl that you’ll marry in 5-10 years. But trust me, those same hormones that make you think this will lead to you all most likely breaking up in somewhere between 2-6 months from now. It won’t be because either of you are bad people. It’ll just be because of your chemistry in your body. But my advice: don’t use the ‘L’ word with her. You’ll feel a lot of stuff that you will think is love. But it really won’t be.” And then I told him that my expectation was that despite my best advice, he won’t listen and that he would probably do it anyway. But just to know that when he is heartbroken, that his family would be there without judgment. Two months later he was moody and then said “remember all that advice you gave me? You were right and I was stupid.” To which I said “no. You were a 15 year old boy just like your dad was. Don’t worry. This will happen a couple more times but you’ll get better at it.”

The old adage is true: teenage romances are a candle that burns hot but burns short.
Good advice :up: Sounds like something Clark might say.

Clark's journey this season has been so beautiful, OMG. That scene with Peia legitimately got me in tears.

This was probably a top 3 episode of the show for me. That said, with the 2 big plotlines of the season essentially resolved, I am curious about what they've got planned for the end of the season besides Bizarro Redux. Hopefully it's not all just setup for the increasingly unlikely 4th season, because that would just be super sad. :(
Yeah, that scene is one thing I'll remember long after this show is finished.

I don't know the timings of writing/filming vs when the clues of non-renewal might have first started popping up, but it would be nice if they were aware when writing and put effort into resolving as much as possible and tying a bow on things in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"