Season 3, Episode 4: “Too Close to Home” (SPOILERS)

:up:
Yes; I well recall back in the MOS days that some took issue with Clark wrecking the bully’s rig. Notwithstanding the karmic justice, the conflict with the bully was over. So the subsequent property damage seemed gratuitous, etc. However, I don’t think there was much additional criticism about the specific events in the diner. After all, Clark was an employee of the establishment (he didn’t go there to confront the bully). Clark came to the defense of a woman being sexually harassed/assaulted. Clark didn’t fight or injure the bully. And Clark endured humiliation instead of resorting to violence. Kinda noble. Or maybe not… Perhaps Clark was a little too passive. Perhaps if he had applied some restrained pugilism instead of after-the-fact vandalism, the “ethics” would have been interpreted more favorably.

This is precisely why the scene falls short of being as effective as it could've been IMO. Whatever virtue or selflessness that Goyer was looking to convey here — with Clark being "the bigger man" and such — is severely undermined by the character's subsequent reaction, which was purely for personal benefit.

That seems to be the case for the S&L scenario. Consider that the threat to Jonathan and Lois (as bad as it was) had passed; there was no longer imminent danger. Also, Clark sought out confrontation in a public place — which led to (entirely foreseeable) physical violence. Regardless, the lopsided fisticuffs (Superman vs. mortal) were deemed emotionally satisfying and morally unproblematic. (Bonus: no property was destroyed. :cwink:)

Imminent, sure, but what about impending and long-term? Given his recent unlawful behavior and further association with organized crime, Emmitt could have very well made good on his threat against Lois. We know this because Jon has already been subjected to similar treatment at Emmitt's hands, not just once but twice. And Jon's still dating Candice, right? Short of breaking up with her (a viable option I suppose), those ties to Emmitt still remain. Hence, Clark using the minimum amount of force to subdue him not only achieves compliance but also reduces the level of toxicity for everyone involved.

Hmm. I'd say that "foreseeable violence" is almost always a factor when confronting bullies like Emmitt regardless of your physical surroundings, but it's worth noting that Clark attempted to discuss the situation civilly, and yes — a little more privately, by asking Emmitt to accompany him outside.

While I liked the scene in Superman & Lois, I still love the scene from Man of Steel and I believe Smallville had a similar one in the pilot where Clark stacked Whitney’s truck on other cars. Both scenes had him showing a very human response but not resorting to physical violence on the person. I think all these scenes (from S&L, MoS, Smallville, and to a lesser extent Superman II) showed something to the audience that was relatable.

While I liked the scene in Superman & Lois, I still love the scene from Man of Steel and I believe Smallville had a similar one in the pilot where Clark stacked Whitney’s truck on other cars. Both scenes had him showing a very human response but not resorting to physical violence on the person. I think all these scenes (from S&L, MoS, Smallville, and to a lesser extent Superman II) showed something to the audience that was relatable.
This show has Jordan to cover the superpowered automobile vandalism revenge pranks.

Heat vision must not really be about heat. All that blood flashing instantly into scalding steam would’ve sent shards of glass into the generals. And, of course, Kryptonite should remain just as radioactive when transformed from a solid into a quickly-spreading gas, but heat vision makes it disappear completely. The beams must be more like interdimensional transporters, with just a bit of mild heat as a side effect.

Finally watched the whole episode. Brilliant. The domestics with Clark and Lois is some of my favorite Superman material ever. Watching Clark fret and deal is both wonderfully funny, and harrowing. I much prefer the boys this season. There is a little lesson, but all their screen time feels like it means so much more. John Henry has never been better. This week was so good, I didn't even hate the worst character ever. Oh, and big ups to the score this week. Some moments really hit me. What a show. :atp:

Another Great Episode .
Loved the Diner scene.
I consider it a nice call back to Superman 2.

I also think Jordan could do with a haircut:lol::wink:.

I also think Jordan could do with a haircut:lol::wink:.

Superman transforms into mild-mannered Clark Kent

supes_2.gif

Superboy transforms into mild-mannered Jordan Kent

Hat-hair-pops-out.gif

Just wrote out a long post and lost it. :dry:

No energy to redo that right now. Loving this season though.

Quite comforted by Clark & Lois Netflixing, wish all versions of them could get time to relax more often, even if under unfortunate circumstances here.

I was thinking Alien Ancestors
I have enough aliens in my life.

Overall this was my favorite episode of the season and that’s mainly because of the John Henry and Bruno Mannheim storyline but the stuff with mama bear Lois and Super Dad Clark was all A+. Even the stuff with Sam and Jordan and finally they give the kid a costume. So that was cool and I can’t wait to see him in action in it and please writers don’t be afraid to call him Superboy. Cushing family drama I could do with out and I can’t wait till we get that finally moment between John Henry and Lana.

please writers don’t be afraid to call him Superboy.
Er, that would be a blow to Jordan’s pride, and if the audience has voiced one criticism of the character, it’s that he sulks too much already. If he’d been Superboy since he was a little kid, he could keep that name with no loss of dignity, but no 16-year-old male wants people to start pointing out that he is not yet mature. Maybe Jon could tease Jordan with that name, in a brotherly way.

Er, that would be a blow to Jordan’s pride, and if the audience has voiced one criticism of the character, it’s that he sulks too much already. If he’d been Superboy since he was a little kid, he could keep that name with no loss of dignity, but no 16-year-old male wants people to start pointing out that he is not yet mature. Maybe Jon could tease Jordan with that name, in a brotherly way.
Well I must of been a different 16 year old male because if I had powers and was Superman sidekick/partner I would carry the name Superboy with pride and if I could lift a semi-truck over my head I wouldn’t be trippin on any other teenage boy is saying. Also doesn’t mean as I get older I couldn’t change it like Nightwing did lol.

I thought Clark was going to spin Candice's dad around on the chair really fast. Good to see that Clark is seen as a force in his own right and not so mild mannered and nebbish like Reeve's version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"