Season 3, Episode 4: “Too Close to Home” (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Promo:

Official Description:
TENSIONS MOUNT – Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) interrupts an intense conversation between Clark (Tyler Hoechlin) and John Henry (Wole Parks). Meanwhile, Kyle (Erik Valdez) tries to run interference between Sarah (Inde Navarrette) and Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui). Lastly, Jonathan (Michael Bishop) has a heated discussion with Candice’s dad.

Discuss the 4th episode of Season 3 here.

Such a great episode. Clark confronting Candice's dad was such an epic, laugh out loud moment and I love how this show does such a great job of giving each member of the cast their own little story lines and development.

I liked the Lang/Cushing family dynamic here, Jonathan, Candice and her dad, etc. Just so good. Now we have John Henry getting his own plot and connecting to the main story with Bruno.

The scene in the diner with Clark was pretty awesome. This episode had such a great build-up to that confrontation, and it definitely paid off and once again Tyler Hoechlin shows so much range in this show.

Such a great balance of seriousness and humor in this episode and those scenes with the dad and the family were handled really well IMO to the point where none of it felt jarring or out of place.

It was a great episode and another banger start to this season.

Lots of things revealed with apologies, accountabilities, and secrets.

The diner scene is reminiscent of Superman 2.

One fact - the actor playing Candace's dad was the first meteor freak from the Smallville pilot.

Such a great episode. Clark confronting Candice's dad was such an epic, laugh out loud moment and I love how this show does such a great job of giving each member of the cast their own little story lines and development.

I think I hit replay at least four or five times thus far! But yeah, between the memorable diner scene in Superman II and the bar altercation in Man of Steel, this definitely seems like the superior version to me. It essentially delivers the thrill and righteous comeuppance of the former in a way that doesn't glorify petty revenge (not that I ever felt remotely sorry for that flannel-wearing f*&#@%); and, by sheer virtue of doing so, outshines the barely effective response to the drunk patron in MoS.

As a whole, this was yet another solid episode of what could very well end up being a flawless season. No hyperbole, the cast and crew are firing on all cylinders!

lady-gaga-talented.gif

That diner scene was EVERYTHING! Like @ArmsHeldOut mentioned, it was perfectly reminiscent of similar scenes in both Superman 2 and Man of Steel, but minus the pettiness on display in both, making it far superior, imo. My favorite part of it was actually him apologizing to Candice at the end. That was the most pure Superman thing, omg.

Jordan being so precious about his hair was...on point. :funny: I think his new super costume might be a nod to Clark's proto-suit from American Alien, but can't tell for sure yet based on what little we saw.

3b7597a466819d2b33d97d7bdf2a273e.jpg

I love it how Bruno just slowly getting one-on-one scenes with each of our main cast lol. First Clark, then John Henry, next up, Lois. That said, I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling that Mannheim's going go the route of Cottonmouth from Luke Cage whenever Lex enters the picture, and I really don't want that to happen. :nrv:

The Sarah/Lana stuff still just feels like it's there to serve the Kyle Cushing Redemption Tour, but whatever, it didn't really bother me here like it did last week.

Another winner. I know this show usually does its slipping in quality in the last act of the season, and may very well do that yet again, but I will say I do believe this season has easily had the best first act of any season yet, so that's very encouraging.

It remains to be seen how the totality of this season’s arc will play out. (With TV series, a promising start can sometimes degenerate to a lackluster or even convoluted conclusion.) But so far, I’m finding S3 to be much better and more engaging than S2.

On a different topic…

It’s interesting to read about the different commentary, interpretation and preference with regard to the superficially similar scenes in S&L, SII and MOS: “the diner bully gets his comeuppance.” As I think of these scenes, I’d note certain key elements:

1) Bully is physically beaten by Clark; 2) bully is publicly humiliated by Clark; 3) Clark’s actions put him at some risk of exposing his secret identity; 4) Clark inflicts major property damage. And the score…

SII: 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, 4) yes (though Clark pays for the property damage).

MOS: 1) no, 2) no, 3) no, 4) yes.

S&L: 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, 4) no.

Apply an ethical evaluation according to your own standards. :word:

That Clark diner sequence was damn good.Clark showed everyone he isn’t someone you mess with. Especially when it concerns his wife and kid. Even Kyle gave respect to Clark for how he handled himself.

It remains to be seen how the totality of this season’s arc will play out. (With TV series, a promising start can sometimes degenerate to a lackluster or even convoluted conclusion.) But so far, I’m finding S3 to be much better and more engaging than S2.

On a different topic…

It’s interesting to read about the different commentary, interpretation and preference with regard to the superficially similar scenes in S&L, SII and MOS: “the diner bully gets his comeuppance.” As I think of these scenes, I’d note certain key elements:

1) Bully is physically beaten by Clark; 2) bully is publicly humiliated by Clark; 3) Clark’s actions put him at some risk of exposing his secret identity; 4) Clark inflicts major property damage. And the score…

SII: 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, 4) yes (though Clark pays for the property damage).

MOS: 1) no, 2) no, 3) no, 4) yes.

S&L: 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, 4) no.

Apply an ethical evaluation according to your own standards. :word:
What makes such a scene is motivation. Clark being angry that his family was assaulted, is very different from getting back at guy for hurting or humiliating him personally.

Clark showing up angry to a meeting with the someone who harmed his family, hurt his son and threatened to murder his wife, is the kind of thing that test a man like him. Not having beer tossed on you. Not getting beat up as a "normal guy". His reaction is controlled, and ends with a threat of exposing the kind of person the villain is to protect his family. He then apologizes, looks the villain's daughter in the eye, apologizes again, and then shows her pure grace, empathy, and understanding, not blaming her for who her father is.

MoS is the reaction of an angry teenager, who has no control of his emotions even as he's a 33 year old man. Superman II (my favorite Supes movie) is a power fantasy, where the hero gets his high school daydream revenge on his bully. Neither of these situations are about anything but Clark getting his revenge, where the S&L scene is about protecting his family.

Last edited:
For the most part, good episode that may have had little Superman action but replaced it with a nice Clark "action" scene which is rare. Was kind of hoping to see Lois show off her army brat skills but still a good scene nonetheless.

I was surprised that Clark/Lois would allow her father to dictate what their son must do in order to be a superhero so that was a little weird.

Unfortunately Jonathan's girlfriend seems more interesting than Jonathan 2.0 himself. I'm still waiting for the episode that really cements the new actor as Jonathan since right now it kind of seems like the writers are lost what to do with the character.

They really ripped the bandaid off with John Henry and the whole "doppelganger" reveal to his "sister" and Bruno.

What makes such a scene is motivation. Clark being angry that his family was assaulted, is very different from getting back at guy for hurting or humiliating him personally.

Clark showing up angry to a meeting with the someone who harmed his family, hurt his son and threatened to murder his wife, is the kind of thing that test a man like him. Not having beer tossed on you. Not getting beat up as a "normal guy". His reaction is controlled, and ends with a threat of exposing the kind of person the villain is to protect his family. He then apologizes, looks the villain's daughter in the eye, apologizes again, and then shows her pure grace, empathy, and understanding, not blaming her for who her father is.

MoS is the reaction of an angry teenager, who has no control of his emotions even as he's a 33 year old man. Superman II (my favorite Supes movie) is a power fantasy, where the hero gets his high school daydream revenge on his bully. Neither of these situations are about anything but Clark getting his revenge, where the S&L scene is about protecting his family.
Yes, as @ArmsHeldOut already mentioned, the key difference there is pettiness, or in this case, the lack thereof. In Superman II, Clark was doing it in front of everyone intentionally and did way more than he had to in terms of physical force, for his own petty satisfaction. In MoS, he destroyed that guy’s truck purely for his own petty satisfaction. By contrast, here, Clark not only tried to get the guy outside so that he wouldn’t have to do it in front of everyone, but also, when the guy refused to take it outside, he used the bare minimum of physical force required to show the guy he meant business, for the protection of his family (and the community, with the whole “selling dangerous drugs” part). And then of course apologized to the daughter and everyone else for even that little scene they still made. Unlike the prior 2 versions of this scenario, there was no selfish pettiness in Clark’s behavior and motivations here - and that difference is EVERYTHING, imo.

To put it another way, both the previous versions felt more like the actions of a child (Either “I’ll show him who’s the loser!” Or “I’ll smash his toy when he’s not looking!”), while this actually felt like the actions of an adult, imo.

They really ripped the bandaid off with John Henry and the whole "doppelganger" reveal to his "sister" and Bruno.
I thought the same thing - I was like “damn, he’s really just gonna walk up to her just like that?!” But I suppose in a world where everyone’s aware that their universe almost got merged with another that has doppelgangers of everyone, it would be an easier thing to accept and makes sense he’d be up front about it lol.

That was a great episode. Do love mama bear Lois, sick or no. Could practically hear the boys' hopes sink when Clark left.

Stupid show teased Jordan getting hair cut, but never following through.

The diner scene was great. Hoechlin really has refined that anger from Derek Hale into a great, threatening quiet anger that also makes him the most intimidating Superman.

Jordan being so precious about his hair was...on point. :funny: I think his new super costume might be a nod to Clark's proto-suit from American Alien, but can't tell for sure yet based on what little we saw.

3b7597a466819d2b33d97d7bdf2a273e.jpg

Good catch here, Flick. It's gotta be that, especially with the writers adding sentimental value to the goggles as if they were looking to give it additional purpose à la Batman's gauntlet gloves and such in the TDK trilogy. Jordan might still need a little hair gel, though, to keep that mop in check. :o

Two weeks ago:
There's something particularly villainous about Mannheim shouting "Superman! Come to my house right now!" only to then demand "Superman! Get out of my house, and don't ever come back!"

This week:

There's something particularly villainous about Mannheim insisting "Irons! Come to my house right now!" only to then demand "Irons! Get out of my house, and don't ever come back!"

Stupid show teased Jordan getting hair cut, but never following through.
With Clark's blood being such a plot point, I'm surprised that the family wasn't at all concerned about leaving bits of Jordan's hair on the barbershop floor. Of course, they never saw Superman IV.

Two weeks ago:

This week:

There's something particularly villainous about Mannheim insisting "Irons! Come to my house right now!" only to then demand "Irons! Get out of my house, and don't ever come back!"

Next week.

MANNHEIM: Lois! Come to my hospital right now!

A Few Moments Later...

MANNHEIM: Lois! Get out of my hospital and never come back!

Next week.

MANNHEIM: Lois! Come to my hospital right now!

A Few Moments Later...

MANNHEIM: Lois! Get out of my hospital and never come back!

Bruno never got over that party at Bruce's:

:up:

Yes; I well recall back in the MOS days that some took issue with Clark wrecking the bully’s rig. Notwithstanding the karmic justice, the conflict with the bully was over. So the subsequent property damage seemed gratuitous, etc. However, I don’t think there was much additional criticism about the specific events in the diner. After all, Clark was an employee of the establishment (he didn’t go there to confront the bully). Clark came to the defense of a woman being sexually harassed/assaulted. Clark didn’t fight or injure the bully. And Clark endured humiliation instead of resorting to violence. Kinda noble. Or maybe not… Perhaps Clark was a little too passive. Perhaps if he had applied some restrained pugilism instead of after-the-fact vandalism, the “ethics” would have been interpreted more favorably.

That seems to be the case for the S&L scenario. Consider that the threat to Jonathan and Lois (as bad as it was) had passed; there was no longer imminent danger. Also, Clark sought out confrontation in a public place — which led to (entirely foreseeable) physical violence. Regardless, the lopsided fisticuffs (Superman vs. mortal) were deemed emotionally satisfying and morally unproblematic. (Bonus: no property was destroyed. :cwink:)

This episode was everything.

Loved Bitsie's delivery of that "I'm a mother, I'm a wife, I'm a reporter" line and how Lois put Clark's ass on notice about not letting the cancer get in the way of how she's being treated. She's really sinking her teeth into this storyline. Also liked Superman destroying his blood samples with the DOD, but it's still giving me CADMUS vibes.

And boy, Bruno Mannheim is such a bastard! Seldom do we get black supervillains, but when we do, THEY GO IN. He's really showing how much of a threat he is and I was literally sweating when John Henry had to rescue his Elseworld sister from that contraption. But again, really like how they're building this guy up into a lethal threat.

We all loved Clark's confrontation with Candace's dad, but for a second, I thought after he punched Jon, Jon's eyes were going to glow or some kind of power was going to be unlocked lol.

And last thing, I just didn't have the strength, I fast forwarded through all of the Lana/Kyle/Sarah scenes once Sarah told that half truth about the slap. I'm over it.

Great episode overall. That damn Bruno!
encanto-pepa-madrigal.gif

:up:

Yes; I well recall back in the MOS days that some took issue with Clark wrecking the bully’s rig. Notwithstanding the karmic justice, the conflict with the bully was over. So the subsequent property damage seemed gratuitous, etc. However, I don’t think there was much additional criticism about the specific events in the diner. After all, Clark was an employee of the establishment (he didn’t go there to confront the bully). Clark came to the defense of a woman being sexually harassed/assaulted. Clark didn’t fight or injure the bully. And Clark endured humiliation instead of resorting to violence. Kinda noble. Or maybe not… Perhaps Clark was a little too passive. Perhaps if he had applied some restrained pugilism instead of after-the-fact vandalism, the “ethics” would have been interpreted more favorably.

That seems to be the case for the S&L scenario. Consider that the threat to Jonathan and Lois (as bad as it was) had passed; there was no longer imminent danger. Also, Clark sought out confrontation in a public place — which led to (entirely foreseeable) physical violence. Regardless, the lopsided fisticuffs (Superman vs. mortal) were deemed emotionally satisfying and morally unproblematic. (Bonus: no property was destroyed. :cwink:)
He did resort to violence. Are you under the impression that destroying someone's property in a targeted manner, isn't violence? Where?

The second part of your argument is exactly how people die in domestic abuse situations. Well there is no imminent danger at the moment, so I guess we don't need to take the firearms from the aggrieved ex. Can't think he'll actually do anything with it.

There is nothing wrong with Clark getting physical, if he uses it correctly. He didn't pound the man into the ground. He stopped him from striking him. What is wrong with that exactly?

It is also important to note, he did not want to do it in public. And he really did not want to do it in front of the man's daughter.

And in MOS, the destruction of the truck comes off less as protecting anyone, but petty revenge for being humiliated in the diner.

I’d say that Clark made a mistake in treating Emmet like a rational person who could be warned away. Emmet has too much pride and rage to walk away from humiliation, and he’ll need to reassert his dominance over his daughter and take revenge on the Kents.

Emmet has authority (much as he doesn’t deserve it) as Candice’s father to make trouble for the Kents on legal grounds. Emmet probably wouldn’t do that on his own, but he got the X-K from someone rich and powerful, such as Mannheim or Luthor, someone who resents nosy reporters and has a team of lawyers.

For physical revenge, Emmet might willingly be the next super-blood transfusion recipient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"