Supergirl Season 5, Episode 15: "Reality Bytes" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
Nice. A Nia/Dreamer-centric episode.

DREAMER STEPS UP TO PROTECT HER COMMUNITY AFTER HER ROOMMATE IS VICIOUSLY ATTACKED – Nia’s (Nicole Maines) roommate, Yvette (guest star Roxy Wood), is attacked by a man targeting Dreamer because he doesn’t like that Dreamer is transgender and wants her to quit being a superhero. Determined to protect her community from additional harm, Dreamer refuses to give into his threats and puts herself in the line of fire to stop him. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) stands by Dreamer and enlists additional help from Brainy (Jesse Rath). Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh), J’onn (David Harewood) and Kelly (Azie Tesfai) attempt to rescue a man stuck inside a virtual reality escape room. Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Dana Horgan & Jay Faerber (#515). Original airdate 3/15/2020.

Since she didn't appear in several episodes before the Crisis, this is a way to make up for it.

Well that was slightly creepy.

Was a little concerned this would just be another filler episode and it pretty much was, but one of the best episodes this season still. Seems like things are slowly starting to develop with Leviathan, finally. Feels like this whole season since Crisis has been filler though. Has anything really happened?

I thought this was going to be a Dreamer-centric episode, but it was Alex-centric instead and now Jeremiah's gone.

Also no Lena Luthor in this one considering she was overexposed in the first half of the season.

With the Dominator appearance, it looks like the pre-Crisis crossover Invasion has happened and likely in a different way with everyone living in the same Earth.

Last edited:
Pretty good episode but they should really pick and choose their subplots. Having Nia deal with such serious issues only to flash to Alex dealing with her martian weapon not doing what she wants....the two don't go well together. The two plots could've easily been merged into one giant one though.

Jeremiah is killed off screen! Guess that's one way to resolve that storyline, but once again give us an emotional scene with Alex, which should've ended the episode instead of floating bodies..

Aaahahahahahahahahaha. **** you Dean Cain.

Aaahahahahahahahahaha. **** you Dean Cain.

LOL!! Yes that is one way to deal with that!

It was an alright episode. I felt they could have had some foreshadowing of that type of bigotry, as it was just suddenly there. Though Kara's dialogue does mitigate that some as being something they just never noticed.

It's always having Alex on screen, and this looks like a good lead-in to next week's. Can't wait to see her as Supergirl!

I thought this week we'd see Chyler as Supergirl. So it's another episode in virtual reality next week?

This did seem like a filler and rather boring. Kara was just a supporting character and barely played.

Also I thought Chyler would be much more upset at the end when she heard the news or told Kara. She seemed more like she was delivering bad news that was personal to Kara instead.

Okay, I know that Supergirl is the after-school special of these DCCW shows, but I'd like to think that in a world where Batwoman exists and recently did an interview outing herself as a lesbian, among Dreamer already knowing that she's got support in National City and beyond, that some random A-hole would be at the bottom of the totem pole as far as problems.

But again, this show is no stranger to being preachy. Just feels like a plot that this show would've done already and honestly would feel more in line with Batwoman since a. that show just started, but b. there's still the occasional talk of Kate being a lesbian. Plus, at the end of the day, for all of Dreamer saying she wouldn't get talked down by a Supergirl speech, backed down anyway.

I dunno. I guess I'm just spoiled by the fact that a show like Black Lightning can handle social messages without getting overly preachy or beating you over the head with its message, though I don't expect many to agree with that.

I enjoyed the virtual reality stuff that was really interesting.

As for the Nia stuff, it’s exactly why I get frustrated with this show. It was preachy AF, we don’t need it rammed down our throats. You can handle and mimic real life situations in more subtle ways. Time and again this show fails to understand that.

Lastly can we please have more Kara-Supergirl, another week where she’s a background character on her own bloody show.

Oh I forgot to add, F you Dean Cain :funny:

Last edited:
Compared to the heavy-handedness of prior seasons, I didn’t think the trans/hate crime plot of this episode was that preachy.

Though… I confess I was distracted by the number of times the trans population was referred to as a “community.” Undoubtedly, they are a community. But just in terms of the elegance and aesthetics of dialogue, it seemed like this single word was overused.

I preferred Batwoman to Supergirl this week.

Compared to the heavy-handedness of prior seasons, I didn’t think the trans/hate crime plot of this episode was that preachy.

Though… I confess I was distracted by the number of times the trans population was referred to as a “community.” Undoubtedly, they are a community. But just in terms of the elegance and aesthetics of dialogue, it seemed like this single word was overused.

It wasn’t at first it was all in the wrap up, especially when Kara said about all of us doing better yada yada.

I preferred Batwoman to Supergirl this week.

I’m yet to watch this week’s but the previous two weeks were bad.

I had to laugh at how they threw in Jeremiah's death like that. But hey, least they finally tied that up! :funny:

This week and last week were both very filler-y, but I liked the VR stuff (nice of them to remember Alex's past trauma for once) and the Kara/Nia scenes were effective, imo.

When the numbers go down they need to change something.

Generally speaking, the numbers are down across the board for the network (except All-American, whose rise has been a bit fascinating this season), which is typical for most networks right now as more people are jumping on streaming than ever. On a week-to-week basis, Supergirl went slightly up this week over the last 2 weeks and it’s still making strong DVR gains, so to answer your question, no I don’t think it’s down any significant amount that would make anyone up top question the show’s decisions. It’s still ranked in the top 5 for the network overall.

Pretty meh for me.

I honestly forgot about Jeremiah's existence.

But, how you gonna have Corbin Bleu without some kind of High School Musical reference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"