Season 5 Episode 6 Discussion "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

As a non-book reader, what happened to Sansa wasn't really surprising to me. Considering the brutality of the show and how many times she had previously been saved at the last minute by Tyrion or the Hound, it was bound to happen eventually.

As I understand in the books, nothing really happens in her storyline at this point, so I am glad they are going in a different direction. Now, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the aftermath. But given D&D's understanding of the world of GOT, I have faith that they will actually show the consequences of the rape and not just brush it off as some are assuming.

I'm fine with them "going in another direction." I just don't like the ONLY thing that they could think of was to stick yet another female character in another rape plot. There were MANY other ways that they could have gone, but they took the most clichéd route possible. Also "rape as empowerment" is just a vile trope in general.

As for them "dealing with consequences," I'm NOT confident because they HAVEN'T done that in the past. Heck they did the Jamie/Cersei thing last season, and then completely brushed it aside and it's never been an issue in-universe again.

I'm fine with them "going in another direction." I just don't like the ONLY thing that they could think of was to stick yet another female character in another rape plot. There were MANY other ways that they could have gone, but they took the most clichéd route possible. Also "rape as empowerment" is just a vile trope in general.

As for them "dealing with consequences," I'm NOT confident because they HAVEN'T done that in the past. Heck they did the Jamie/Cersei thing last season, and then completely brushed it aside and it's never been an issue in-universe again.

To be fair, there hasn't really been a rape plot on the show, while there has been plenty of rape in the show without showing its aftermath. So I am interested to see where they go with that, however I could be completely wrong and the show could just ignore the whole thing, we don't know yet, so we'll see how it goes.

In terms of the Jamie-Cersei scene, I agree, they completely ignored it but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they had different intentions for the scene considering what the showrunners were saying after that episode.

Edit: I do hope they go a different route with Sansa than they did with Theon, which essentially turned into torture of the week.

Last edited:
Pregnant with Robb's child? :o

Incest on top of bloody incest!

Theon waking up: If you've noticed, he called himself Theon Greyjoy at the Winterfell Wedding (where winter, incidentally, fell). He's waking up to who he was. Same as Sansa seems poised to do. She trusted a man with an unhealthy obsession for her dead mother, a bad case of sociopathy, and the one responsible for her father's death...ball's in Dungeons and Dragons court, they can let Sansa become her own person, or keep her as shock value.

I'm hoping she opens the gates to Stannis's army, maybe even lets Melisandre burn the Boltons and Littlefinger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"