The Walking Dead Season 7 Episode 3 "The Cell" Discussion Thread

It's like this show has enough dough to make a 12" pizza, but they are desperately trying to stretch it into a 20" pizza.

The filler, the dragging of things that don't need to be dragged on, it's out of control. Has been for a long while now. I watched this episode with a few friends, and we just had nothing to say to each other during the show. We were quiet and looking at our phones. It's just boring and repetitive at this point, and I'm sorry to say that because of course "the premise has promise". This just isn't a very good show

I enjoyed the episode, but this show has GOT to cut the s*** narratively. You have a huge ensemble cast! Stop with the episodes focused on 2-3 of the main characters! Game of Thrones has been hopping from location to location, weaving multiple storylines together in single episodes practically since Day 1. Don't drop a hugely pivotal episode on us and then make us wait three episodes to get back to 90% of the regular cast. It's nice that you want to give a little backstory, but Jesus f***ing Christ.

It's like this show has enough dough to make a 12" pizza, but they are desperately trying to stretch it into a 20" pizza.

The filler, the dragging of things that don't need to be dragged on, it's out of control. Has been for a long while now. I watched this episode with a few friends, and we just had nothing to say to each other during the show. We were quiet and looking at our phones. It's just boring and repetitive at this point, and I'm sorry to say that because of course "the premise has promise". This just isn't a very good show

You thought that was bad? Just wait until the imminent Tara episode that's almost guaranteed to be more boring than this one. :o I hope the show proves me wrong. In the mean time, let's enjoy some music, shall we?

[YT]93FprsmspCs[/YT]

Still haven't watched the episode, but does Negan have a good screen time in it? He is currently my favorite thing about the show and I hope they don't waste his character.

I forgive them not showing him last week (when they really should have after that explosive season premiere), but I hope he doesn't have a 5 minute cameo in this episode.

Still haven't watched the episode, but does Negan have a good screen time in it? He is currently my favorite thing about the show and I hope they don't waste his character.

I forgive them not showing him last week (when they really should have after that explosive season premiere), but I hope he doesn't have a 5 minute cameo in this episode.

He's in this one for maybe 10 minutes.

I'm glad that even though we spend a good amount of time at the Sanctuary, we don't see that much of it or even the dreaded iron ritual. I'm guessing that come later, whether through Daryl witnessing it or if the door is left open for Negan to still bring Carl to the Sanctuary.

As much as I'd like to avoid seeing the iron ritual in all it's glory, it was a much better use of Negan when this part of the story was between him and Carl in the comics. It was just a miserable episode. I feel like they just wanted us to watch Daryl get tortured, and the story didn't move forward at all by the end.

As much as I'd like to avoid seeing the iron ritual in all it's glory, it was a much better use of Negan when this part of the story was between him and Carl in the comics.

That could still happen, but the thing is, Riggs is now much taller. It really only works if Carl is a little kid, not a teenager.

I really dug the episode despite it being a filler episode. And this is coming from someone who wanted Daryl dead seasons ago.

I liked it too. More should've happened, but I enjoyed meeting Sherry and Dwight (I did not see the prior episodes they appeared in) and the scene between Dwight and his friend was quite moving. It's obvious that Dwight will at least attempt to kill Negan somewhere down the line. I continue to find Negan amusing when he appears.

I enjoyed the episode, but this show has GOT to cut the s*** narratively. You have a huge ensemble cast! Stop with the episodes focused on 2-3 of the main characters! Game of Thrones has been hopping from location to location, weaving multiple storylines together in single episodes practically since Day 1. Don't drop a hugely pivotal episode on us and then make us wait three episodes to get back to 90% of the regular cast. It's nice that you want to give a little backstory, but Jesus f***ing Christ.

I'm thinking the way the episodes are set up has something to do with the show's budget. Maybe they pay actors per episode. Nothing else would make any sense.

I'm thinking the way the episodes are set up has something to do with the show's budget. Maybe they pay actors per episode. Nothing else would make any sense.

What's weird about that is that all of the regular cast members get credited for episodes they don't appear in unless their characters have already died. Last night everyone got a credit. Do they get paid per credited episode? Game of Thrones gets around that by only crediting the actors if they appear in a certain episode.

I really hope they don't give Carls story to Daryl. It was a redeeming thing for Carl for me in the comics, and I kind of hate the Daryl Super Redneck character.

How would the story with Carl work? Look at him in this panel

The dynamic works because Carl looks like a little boy, and is just young enough to be impressionable and think he might actually be able to take down Negan himself. Chandler Riggs, on the other hand, is almost an adult, and it almost as tall as JDM is. It creates a different dynamic.

You might want to edit out the picture. I know you're trying to make a point, but the mods will come down on it for the uncensored cursing.

O another note, is it weird I didn't find the Sanctuary that bad? Yeah they basically bully for their resources, but overall, besides Negan's issue, it didn't seem that bad.

So moral of this episode is if you cross Negan you're screwed, which we already know. Daryl and Dwight really couldn't carry this episode b/c they didn't have much to do, imo. This felt like a 20 minute episode padded out to 40+ minutes. The abrupt commercial breaks didn't help either. Didn't see much progress in story or characters. I think it would've flowed better if they had paired this episode with another group or set of characters (Rick & co./ASZ or Maggie & Sasha/Hilltop community) besides Daryl and Dwight.

I'm not surprised about the constant bottle episodes, which probably have to do with budget. Gimple has been using this as a crutch since Season 5. Sure Season 4b had plenty of bottle episodes but that's b/c most of the group was separated into smaller groups after the prison fell. We still got that Tara/Heath bottle episode coming up. I think we're supposed to get an episode that goes into Negan's backstory. If we don't see Maggie and Sasha's perspective in next week's 90 min episode we'll probably get an episode focusing on them and the Hilltop community as well.

O another note, is it weird I didn't find the Sanctuary that bad? Yeah they basically bully for their resources, but overall, besides Negan's issue, it didn't seem that bad.

I disagree. I missed the Kingdom after the first ten minutes of this ep. Sure the Sanctuary isn't bad if you like kneeling and living under a dictator in such dire conditions. Dwight and Sherry (and obviously Daryl) didn't seem happy living under Negan's thumb. The Saviors are nothing more than just Negan's brainwashed sheep. Plus people have tried escaping that place (Dwight, Tina, Sherry, Joey (the guy Dwight shot in the back), and Daryl).

I couldn't make out the polaroid pic Dwight showed Daryl.

Last edited:
I disagree. I missed the Kingdom after the first ten minutes of this ep. Sure the Sanctuary isn't bad if you like kneeling and living under a dictator in such dire conditions. Dwight and Sherry (and obviously Daryl) didn't seem happy living under Negan's thumb. The Saviors are nothing more than just Negan's brainwashed sheep. Plus people have tried escaping that place (Dwight, Tina, Sherry, Joey (the guy Dwight shot in the back), and Daryl).

I'm not gonna lie, I get what you are saying, and I see that too. Part of it, sadly, is that I don't really care for Daryl anymore, so I think part of it was just like "Man, I'm kind of enjoying this, especially since it was Daryl's fault for Glenn."

This episode was better compared to last weeks blah episode. But I agree, i would still prefer if they were able to run multiple storylines in one episode instead of these type

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"