World Sensational SM # 25- "Feral" part 3 [SPOILERS]

The Lizard

Didn't eat Billy
Reaction score
I say "spoilers", but there's not a lot that happened in this ish to spoil that we didn't already see coming. Gotta love these drawn-out five-issue storylines eh?

Anyway, Pete and Felicia get injured Billy Connors to the Baxter Building (it is still the Baxter Building, right?), and Reed stabilizes his condition and keeps Pete and Felicia around for observation. Sue mentiones that Ben and Johnny are out fighting a Mole Man monster and Reed figures the spreading violence in the city is linked.

Meanwhile, John Jameson has become Man-Wolf (who is brown instead of white for some reason... Werewolf By Night, anyone?), and he attacks MJ in the apartment. Aunt May bravely splashes hot tea in Wolfie's face and the two women hide in the kitchen until the Avengers security drones arrive and put MW to sleep with trank darts.

While this attack is happening, Spidey sits up in Reeds lab and says that "Something's wrong back home. I - I feel it!" Reed says "You can tell from here? Is this one of your new powers?" Spidey says nothing in response to that (probably realizing how lame and/or redundant most of his new powers are), and runs off to go home. After Black Cat stays a bit longer, she gets impatient and also leaves to help Spidey.

The Lizard meanwhile is down in the sewers and seems to be healed from the injuries he got from the Black Cat (you all have no idea how much it annoyed me to just type that). Lizzy thinks back to earlier that night when he, as Curt Connors, came into Billy's room and injected him with the Lizard formula because "The rock told me to.." The Rock? Either that meteor from part one is indeed the cause of all this, or Curt has to stop taking advice from professional wrestlers-turned movie-actors. That's all the info we get from Curt's flashback though, so we have to wait a little longer to find out what the rock's got cookin'. As Lizzy roars in anger at his predicament and heads back to the Natural History Museum, Vermin hears this and drops the pork tenderloin cop's leg he's eating to investigate.

Spidey arrives at his apartment in time to see an unconscious John Jameson being taken away by security. MJ mentions the strange violent urges she's had as well as May's surprising defense against Man-Wolf. After MJ tends to Peter's shoulder injury from the Lizard's bite, Pete puts on the Iron Spider costume and takes off to find the Lizard without his spider-sense operating correctly. But first -- a visit to the only psychic Spidey trusts right now to help him find the Lizard - an ambiguously youthful-looking Madame Web!

--- to be continued!

REVIEW: More McFarlane-ish art here, but looking better overall. The regular characters look more consistant from panel to panel - including MJ, who still looks too young in the face, but at least consistantly young now.

Man-Wolf fans probably won't like the bulked-up brown version of Wolfie, who now just looks like a regular comic book werewolf, but there are some cool close-ups of Man-Wolf's face that look good.

The flashback where Curt goes to inject Billy is genuinely creepy and effective, and the Lizard's close-up profile splash looks fantastic.

The only comedy relief here involves Spidey joking with Mary Jane about how "handy" he is with his mechanical arms, while seemingly poking her in the chest with one. A cute light-hearted break for Pete and MJ, much needed.

Next issue: Will the Lizard vs Vermin battle go better for Lizzy than his scrap with Black Cat, and will Lizzy get a chance at a rematch with Felicia? Will Spidey find the mysterious meteor rock that's causing all this craziness? Will the new artwork that's being awkwardly sprung on us in mid-storyline be too distracting for us to even care about the plot? -- Stay tuned!

Thanks for all that, Lizard. You just saved me a few £'s. :)

Yeah I bought it, read up to the new suit...cringed and put it down.

ok, so everybody is affected by this rock? not just people with an animalistic persuasion? (I refuse to say the "T" word)

If you would, could you post pics of Man-Wolf? I'm a huge fan of "generic comic book werewolves".

I thought it was great. It's funny, it seemed as though Sensational Spider-Man was an afterthought type of 3rd book for Spidey after they changed it from the Marvel Knights imprint, but I think it's the best Spidey book right now. I was a big fan of the Nightcrawler ongoing that lasted only 12 issues, so I shouldn't be surprised to like Aguirre-Sacasa's take on Spidey, but either way I'm pleasantly surprised again by part 3 of Feral. Overall, this is the best of the 3 Spidey books right now IMO. Too bad Iron Spidey finally crept his way into this book. :down

Still the art is a lot better than it was originally. I did like the way Medina drew Spidey when he got back to the Avengers mansion and was hanging out the window (especially that he drew the arm pit webbing!). Eitherway, we learned it was some kind of rock and that it's affecting everyone. An overall good issue. Anyone know how many parts this arc is?

The arc is 6 parts, and I'm glad you liked the pic of Spidey in the window ledge w/ the arm webs
cause that is the last shot we will be seeing of the red and blues until 2007, ugh.

I stormed the comic shop today and picked up SSM#25, hands brimming w/ fevered excitement. Knowing that SSM is the best SM title right now, and also because it is apparently the last issue w/ Angel Media on pencils who is the best artist on the Spider books since JR JR.
Anyone not buying this book is a chump.

So some of the developments in this issue were kinda predictable but it still has the best writing of any current SM book. That’s no great achievement I'm guessing some of you are saying, but this arc does keep your interest and you can feel it building toward a meaty showdown.
Plus it had Man-Wolf which was cool.
The only duff thing on offer was the Iron costume which finally took over from the original.
Too bad it looks like Clayton Crain will be handling the second half of the arcs art duties, but w/ Puma's return still to come I'm still really pumped about this book.

[...] Lizzy thinks back to earlier that night when he, as Curt Connors, came into Billy's room and injected him with the Lizard formula because "The rock told me to.." The Rock? Either that meteor from part one is indeed the cause of all this, or Curt has to stop taking advice from professional wrestlers-turned movie-actors. That's all the info we get from Curt's flashback though, so we have to wait a little longer to find out what the rock's got cookin'. As Lizzy roars in anger at his predicament and heads back to the Natural History Museum, Vermin hears this and drops the pork tenderloin cop's leg he's eating to investigate.

LOL! Sorry, this strikes me as extremely funny, although I'm sure the writer is completely serious; I could also slip in a crack about how the Marvel staff needs to cook fewer "rocks" themselves, judging from the editorial content we've been seeing lately... but that is neither here nor there.

Werewolves can be defeated with hot tea... you learn something new every day. :)

It may have been laced with SILVER.

I thought the Man-wolf MJ confrontation was cool, I'm a fan of the old monster movies and this arc is a little like an old monster movie w/ all the creepy dudes Vermin, Lizard, Man-wolf skulking around.

I'm getting really annoyed by this bs costume hating.

Anyway idiots aside, i really hate the art. I mean its seems so steroids infected. The color of the inking also seems ridiculesly deep.

You know, maybe it's all the crap that ASM has been churning out lately and the letdown that FNSM has been so far but I'm actually enjoying this arc. It's been solid since the start.

It actually feels good to read a Spider-man story were the entire fate of the planet isn't on his shoulders or some life altering event is taking place for him. The art's been inconsistent....great at times and a bit sloppy at other but the writing has been solid.

Spidey, Vermin, Lizard, BC gonna clash in the next issue. I'm interested and admist all the crap taking place in the 616 Spider verse lately...it's good to have a solid Spider-man story to read.

I am still pumped about SSM#26 and the continuation of Feral its just a shame that Medina could not finish the arc.

Lovin' this arc, LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT!

Best Spidey title by far. This, to me, feels more like 'Spider-Man' stories than anything else right now. And to be honest, with the suit and all, I'm not hating it like some others out there, and I'm liking the way they play it here. It's momenyts like these which will make the fall out so much bigger during Civil War

Can't wait for the next ish!

wolvie2020 said:
Lovin' this arc, LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT!

Best Spidey title by far. This, to me, feels more like 'Spider-Man' stories than anything else right now. And to be honest, with the suit and all, I'm not hating it like some others out there, and I'm liking the way they play it here. It's momenyts like these which will make the fall out so much bigger during Civil War

Can't wait for the next ish!

I have yet to get my copy, as I haven't had any cash for the past 2 weeks. Probably get it this weekend, though.

This is the only Spidey title I enjoy, at the moment.

"Thanks for all that, Lizard. You just saved me a few £'s. :) "

No, no. If there were ever a Spidey book to read, read this one. I'm going to say... yes, this is my favorite comic out right now.

(this is off topic, but I just thought about it, having just written it. I just realized [AGAIN, I guess] that they're called "Comics." I mean, to hold a 'comic' in your hand implies something much different than what we actually hold. [less and less with JMS, acough-cough.] Okay sorry.)

"The Lizard meanwhile is down in the sewers and seems to be healed from the injuries he got from the Black Cat (you all have no idea how much it annoyed me to just type that.) "

:D I love you Lizzy. In, like, a hetero, across the states, kind of way.

Anyway, I loved this issue. I just wanted to point out my favorite shots in the book:

Nothing grand, but I do love the shot of Billy in the tank. Great drawing.

And the Mole Man monster looks awesome.

A few pages before the middle of the book, there's a shot of Man Wolf leaping across the page, with his arms down. They might have the colors wrong, but you've got to admit, that's cool. :D

Here's a back and forth. I really like Vermin's face on the page where Lizard screams. But the the very next page, Medina made him look too mousey. Anyone else agree? Disagree?

Madame Web looks great, and just about every picture of Lizard does as well. I liked most of Aunt May too. Some were off, but...

I just don't find his women to be very attractive. You've got MJ, Sue Richards, and Black Cat as promanent characters in this issue, an... blah. There is that scene on the first page, with BC running in, but I just see most of his characters as abstractions and representations of characters. I mean, I love it, it's just harder to relate to them as visually human.

And then, of course, I could praise Roberto for hours. Probably placing him as my second favorite writer, after Jenkins. It's all opinion though.

Although the artist has changed for the last issues of this arc I don't think it will affect things too negatively. Crain's work is really 'dark', for lack of a better word and thus suits the story. I know Feral is going to have a wicked tie up ending and Spidey is going to dish up some beat downs. If only Spidey could have finished the arc in his red and blues, oh well it far from wrecks the story for me and is only a slight annoyance.

Ok, does this 'feral' thing just affect people with animal type powers? Because MJ said she felt affected too. please say she hasn't some sort of feral power:(

No she does not have any animal powers, don't worry.
We have still yet to find out what the science is behing the Feral effect.

Really enjoying this, to me its easily the best Spidey comic out right now.
And Puma returns next ish!!
Nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"