Sept. Fan Art Contest - ENTER HERE

RAMORE said:
I really really love this design and ocean master is pretty good too:up:

Thanks. I think the jet idea would be awesome.

On another note I like the cutthroat redesign as it seems to fit in with the time of cutthroating

RAMORE said:
I really really love this design and ocean master is pretty good too:up:

Thanks. I was starting to regret doing Ocean Master.

Alright boys and girls, this is a lot of firsts for me.
- This is my first time entering a SHH contest.
- This was my first time 'really' drawing with my new wacom tablet that wasn't just tooling around with it.
- this was my first time digitally coloring at all.
- this was my first attempt to add light sources, especially on a non referenced piece.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty well. So without further adu:

Behold! My redesign of Galactus! I realize he's a pretty large scale, well known baddie, but c'mon, his uniform was definitly not fitting of one who eats entire worlds.

Old Galactus:
galactus-sup.jpg

Syn-Style:
galactusci0.jpg

I wanted to give him an update, yet stay true to the character.
so I used a lot of the same style designs flowing around, IE, the large helmet, etc, but updated them a bit. I wanted to drop a lot of the tech garble. I mean, this is a character that can create and consume energy. He doesn't need to be wearing a big metal bow tie on his chest to help him move from world to world =)

Enjoy! I hope someone likes it.

-Syn

sweeeeeet, very cool how big is this guy considering we can't see his legs.

ghost113 said:
sweeeeeet, very cool how big is this guy considering we can't see his legs.

he eats.... PLANETS.... think about it. ;)

Nice. I like the fact Galactus is now big enough to actually eat a planet.

My only crit at this point is that I think it's a little to dark. It's kind of hard to see Galctus with the background. I would say lighten the costume to help increase the contrast with the background (or vice versa)

Syncos said:
he eats.... PLANETS.... think about it. ;)

Very true, my design has nothing on this and you truly picked a good villian with a crappy costume.

Mrh7448 said:
Nice. I like the fact Galactus is now big enough to actually eat a planet.

My only crit at this point is that I think it's a little to dark. It's kind of hard to see Galctus with the background. I would say lighten the costume to help increase the contrast with the background (or vice versa)

Yes. this is actually a concern i had halfway through production. after going through multiple backgrounds i've established that with a light background it makes it even harder to see, tricks the eye into jumbling everything together. i'm going to see what I can do about either lightning the costume (i'm worried about lightening it too much and getting the same corny effect of his previous costume) or giving some sort of energy aura that illuminates him a little more. =) thanks for the input.

Edit: I lightened up the background a bit to make gala easier to see. hope it helped. =)

absolutely superb. i always thought his costume was extremely lame.

5 stars!

Syncos said:
Alright boys and girls, this is a lot of firsts for me.
- This is my first time entering a SHH contest.
- This was my first time 'really' drawing with my new wacom tablet that wasn't just tooling around with it.
- this was my first time digitally coloring at all.
- this was my first attempt to add light sources, especially on a non referenced piece.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty well. So without further adu:

Behold! My redesign of Galactus! I realize he's a pretty large scale, well known baddie, but c'mon, his uniform was definitly not fitting of one who eats entire worlds.

Old Galactus:
galactus-sup.jpg

Syn-Style:
galactusci0.jpg

I wanted to give him an update, yet stay true to the character.
so I used a lot of the same style designs flowing around, IE, the large helmet, etc, but updated them a bit. I wanted to drop a lot of the tech garble. I mean, this is a character that can create and consume energy. He doesn't need to be wearing a big metal bow tie on his chest to help him move from world to world =)

Enjoy! I hope someone likes it.

-Syn

Nice work but Galactus already sports a Kirby original design.

You flatter yourself if you think your better than the king:hyper:

KAD said:

I do think he wins :p to bad for kirby

KAD said:

Yeah, I mean it's not like this is a villain redesign contest.

Whoops.

Arcade, a super lame looking villain from Marvel, made slightly less lame looking by me.

Original
Arcade.jpg

My version
arcade.jpg

Stuck with the same basic idea, kept the all white look, lost the platform shoes and the big goofy bow tie, switched them out for white canvas sneakers and a tuxedo t-shirt, respectively. Added the blazer with the hooded sweatshirt to make him look a little bit less goofy...emphasis on the little bit.

Saint said:
Yeah, I mean it's not like this is a villain redesign contest.

Whoops.

His work is great no disputing that its just funny when Jack Kirby the man that designed most of medern comics loses to some guy (or gal ) on a board.

Didn't mean to offend

Ok, remember how sad we all were when we first discovered Dr. Bong?

znak5clw1.jpg

And realized he was a BELL themed villain? Seriously, BELLS?

I took it upon myself to give us all what we really want to see.
villainghoulcopytt9.jpg

The REAL DR. BONG!

For the record, I took a ghoul I found on google and changed stuff on him, so he is not entirely mine. But I changed a lot on him but I kept his basic color scheme. Hmmm, wonder what he keeps in his belt pouches

This is soo funny leave it to dew to get it done right:D

RobJHawk said:
Arcade, a super lame looking villain from Marvel, made slightly less lame looking by me.

Original
Arcade.jpg

My version
arcade.jpg

Stuck with the same basic idea, kept the all white look, lost the platform shoes and the big goofy bow tie, switched them out for white canvas sneakers and a tuxedo t-shirt, respectively. Added the blazer with the hooded sweatshirt to make him look a little bit less goofy...emphasis on the little bit.

really nice but you should have gotten rid of the bow tie all in all and changed his hair a bit. I like the hoodie under the blazer look though.

Dew k. Mosi said:
Ok, remember how sad we all were when we first discovered Dr. Bong?

znak5clw1.jpg

And realized he was a BELL themed villain? Seriously, BELLS?

I took it upon myself to give us all what we really want to see.
villainghoulcopytt9.jpg

The REAL DR. BONG!

For the record, I took a ghoul I found on google and changed stuff on him, so he is not entirely mine. But I changed a lot on him but I kept his basic color scheme. Hmmm, wonder what he keeps in his belt pouches

I LOVE this. Spectacular. I'm hoping to have mine up by the end of today. Be fore-warned.

And as for the Arcade redesign, I like the drawing a lot, but it doesn't seem like that much of a change. Just my opinion, but there it is.

KAD said:
His work is great no disputing that its just funny when Jack Kirby the man that designed most of medern comics loses to some guy (or gal ) on a board.

Didn't mean to offend

Kirby is a legend, there's no doubting it, and I wouldn't dare to compare myself to him in any way. However, galactus looks rediculas, and needed revamping. it had to be done. and not this "Guh Lak Tus" crap from ultimate, either. Galactus is a perfect example of a character that was written correctly but just looked too damned goofy to look threatning.

Thank you for the kind words though, It means a lot.

-Syn

Syncos said:
Kirby is a legend, there's no doubting it, and I wouldn't dare to compare myself to him in any way. However, galactus looks rediculas, and needed revamping. it had to be done. and not this "Guh Lak Tus" crap from ultimate, either. Galactus is a perfect example of a character that was written correctly but just looked too damned goofy to look threatning.

Thank you for the kind words though, It means a lot.

-Syn

See I respect your opinion but I like the big G the way he is

RobJHawk said:
My version
arcade.jpg
I really like the idea of Arcade being a present generation gamer. And the hoodie under the blazer is a nice touch. i'd loose the tux shirt and the bow tie all together, though. And maybe change up the hair, geled spikes maybe, maybe black with overly fake looking red highlights. that sounds like a gamer thing... Nice work though.

Odin's Fury said:
Here's mine. THE SPOT:
OLD:
Spot1.jpg

NEW:
The-Spot.jpg

Your style very much reminds me of M. Wagner.

Very nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"