Sequels Shailene Woodley COULD BE Mary Jane Watson.....in TASM3 - Part 4

I like Shai a lot as well. She's very talented. No idea what her MJ would have been like but I just want the right girl for the job, whomever that may be.

She's definitely under contract, so the ball is in the studio's court as to what they do.

Honestly, I'm hoping that Sony releases her from her contract, but gives her the option to audition for TASM3 along with several other actresses. There's no need for her to feel obligated. If she's genuinely interested in returning, she'll audition and the best MJ will get the part. If not, she won't audition and the best MJ will get the part. No loss.

Keaton wasn't off. Maybe from a physical standpoint but in regards to acting, he brought it. That had nothing to do with the writing but with Keaton's talent and range as an actor.

Also, I vehemently disagree that any actress could pull off Mary Jane if she has a good screenplay. That's not how casting works. Even good actors get miscast in roles all the time.

Remember Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly? He had the same great script to work from but he wasn't right for that role. He even shot the entire film in the lead before they let him go!

I agree that not just any actress or actor could pull off a certain character but in terms of Shai pulling off MJ, I believe she could do that.

Do I think she's the best choice for MJ. Not all that much. I mean I wouldn't mind her at all but I feel she fits more of Barbara Gordon than Mary Jane.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no idea if Shai could have pulled off MJ or not. No comment on that one, I'm just talking casting in general.

After Dunst, we at least a likeable MJ :o

I wouldn't mind Shai returning. But I refuse to believe her involvement will magically help things in some way.

However her talent and likeability would go well for the character of MJ.

People are very hard on Dunst, but I don't think that the way that the character turned out on screen was completely her fault. Very much like Shai and Emma she was the charismatic "it girl" of the late 90s/early 2000s and a talented actress in her own right.

I'm hard on the writers that turned MJ into what she became :o

Dunst was a massive it girl at the time, though.

Let's not be too hard on Raimi MJ, she wasn't on the level as TASM Gwen and IM Pepper (And apparently Lois Lane in a superman movie, never seen it to comment), but she wasn't the worst either.

TASM MJ is certainly a time for redemption! Marc Webb has shown he can do love interest very well!

I just don't like how they turned her into a **** lol

Granted it's believable, and so was her jealousy at Peter's fame, it was understandable.

She was a bit of a *****, not a very nice person. In fact, when you think of what she actually did, yeah, not a great person at all...

'IT' girl suggestions haven't been in the MJ threads for a while, so I don't know why all of a sudden it's become a topic of conversation.

Woodley is not an IT girl, Stone is/was not an IT girl, Lawrence is/was not an IT girl. Getting an actress of their calibers for MJ would be the smartest thing Sony could do.

^ By referring to them as "It girls" no one is suggesting that they're talentless. They're certainly not, but they're not the end all/be all of the talent pool either. They're widely popular overexposed trend-setting teen idols. Go-to-girls for major studios and big budget film franchises. Jennifer Lawrence more than the others.

Last edited:
To be fair, she's been very very good in every film she's done for a while now, she's extremely talented.

I'm actually more worried about the casting than the writing. They can write the perfect Mary Jane on paper but if the casting is off, it's game over. Getting the casting right is extremely crucial.

Emma Stone is perfect example. She was phenomenal as Gwen but that had nothing to do with the writing, it had to do with having an actress like Emma in the role, who just oozes charisma and charm and was able to make the audience fall in love with her.

I don't want to downplay the writing. It's important as well but not nearly as the casting.

Although I am more concerned with how MJ is written, I am still concerned with getting a quality actress for the part. I still stand that writing has a lot more to do with the success of the character. Look at MJ in the Raimi films. Dunst is a fine actress, not exceptional but she has plenty of charisma and talent to pull off the role. However, they wrote MJ horribly in those films and even a solid actress like Dunst couldn't make that work. Casting is indeed important though and I'm not trying to downplay that at all. What'd be great is if they could nail both those aspects cause in the end they're both important to the success of MJ.

Kirsten Dunst was miscast in the role. The writing/directing didn't do her any favors but she wasn't right for that role. You can't just shove any actor into a part and believe they could pull it off, if they have a great script to work from.

Look at the first Iron Man. They barely had a script and made it up as they went along but Robert Downey Jr. owned that role and embodied the character. That one single casting choice was far, far more crucial than anything they could/would have done with that script.

Trust me, casting is far, far more crucial.

What would happen if you got a cast full of Oscar winners to perform a 7th grade screenplay?

Well I did hear a little buzz that ASM3 was pushed back for her. Of course rumors and rumors. I think Shailene is a great actress and of course I can see more now, why it was so important to have Shailene Woodely in the role. At first I will admit I went who is this girl playing my favorite supporting female character MJ Watson?? But now of course, she is everywhere and the tabloid darling of the minute. So I guess it makes sense to cast her. Especially if the role has been written especially for Shailene. I'm down with that.

Mary Jane is definitely a larger than life character and I just thought, since she is such a warm person, that she would be well suited to other types of roles like that, like a female superhero such as Jean Grey in the next X Men movie (she's been considered) or The Little Mermaid in the upcoming live action version of the story. She would actually be perfect for that, what with her connection to nature and all.

I think this Mary Jane should definitely be memorable though. I will say that. And time will tell whether Shailene will do it. The ball is in her court now, considering she is the number 1 girl in hollywood as of now.

No way she's the #1 girl in Hollywood mate!!

That'd probably be Jennifer Lawrence, surely? Even Emma stone is probably above her.

^ Yup. JLaw definitely still holds that title. Shai hasn't touched her level of fame and success.

Well I did hear a little buzz that ASM3 was pushed back for her. Of course rumors and rumors. I think Shailene is a great actress and of course I can see more now, why it was so important to have Shailene Woodely in the role. At first I will admit I went who is this girl playing my favorite supporting female character MJ Watson?? But now of course, she is everywhere and the tabloid darling of the minute. So I guess it makes sense to cast her. Especially if the role has been written especially for Shailene. I'm down with that.

Mary Jane is definitely a larger than life character and I just thought, since she is such a warm person, that she would be well suited to other types of roles like that, like a female superhero such as Jean Grey in the next X Men movie (she's been considered) or The Little Mermaid in the upcoming live action version of the story. She would actually be perfect for that, what with her connection to nature and all.

I think this Mary Jane should definitely be memorable though. I will say that. And time will tell whether Shailene will do it. The ball is in her court now, considering she is the number 1 girl in hollywood as of now.

Quite frankly, I don't care if she's Hollywood's latest "tabloid darling" or if they've written the part especially for her. I just want them to get MJ right this time around, and if she's the girl for the job, then more power to her.

If Sony still has her under contract, then the ball is actually in their court. However, if she's no longer interested, hopefully, they won't force her into doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"